By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First Heavy Rain Review!!!

Around the Network

btw this thing has been on pre-order for me for months already /shrug

It was with joy that I saw my subscription copy of Official Playstation Magazine UK arrive in the post this morning. This was not only due to the fact that I was hoping to find more information on the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII from Square Enix, but more for the fact that I knew that the latest issue would offer the World Exclusive review for Quantic Dreams’ Playstation 3 exclusive, Heavy Rain.

Reviewed by Editor-in-chief, Tim Clark, it was his opening sentence that easily confirmed to me that this was another overtly ambitious title that wasn’t going to fall anywhere short of the high expectation surrounding it; “Having played and replayed Heavy Rain, I’m convinced it’s one of the freshest, most exciting, and even important games on PS3 so far,” before going on to state that “[he is]also convinced that a lot of people are going to hate it. Or simply be baffled by the fact that you spend quite a bit of time sitting around being sad.”

There is also plenty of praise for the control scheme, in which “Every action you perform in the game requires a corresponding button press, stick movement, or Sixaxis shake, from a simple tap of up [on the control stick] to swig juice from the fridge, to a sudden jerk down on the pad to kick a door in, or carefully rotating the right stick to apply a bandage.”

Such use continus to diversify as the controls actively represent the difficulty of what the character is trying to achieve; “If it’s something phyiscally demanding – say, trying to clamber up a muddy hillside – you might have to hold serveral buttons at once, effectively playing finger Twister.” Alongside this, other sections will task you with performing actions as you race against the clock to get out of a situation. The developer’s interactive design ideas are to be commended, with Clark concluding “What shouldn’t be understated is how inventive Quantic Dream has been with the controls.”

The story’s pacing is also key and is perfectly designed to create an “exhausting, exhilarating, and, curcially, involving” experience. Player’s will also encounter “innovative twists on its core forumula right until the credits roll,” and the review continues to describe various elements and encounters within the title.

In conclusion, Clark writes “Certainly there’s nothing quite like it on PS3, or indeed any other system. Put gaming conventions aside, go in with no expectations other than this is something new and massively good-looking, and you’ll be rewarded with a unique experience that lurches between genius and madness, manages to be genuinely emotional, and that you’ll be bursting to talk about with your friends.”

The title is awarded a coveted Gold Star, and an incredibly respectable 9/10. For those in the UK, remember that you can pre-order the HMV Exclusive Heavy Rain Collector’s Edition for £39.99.

http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/01/18/world-exclusive-heavy-rain-review-awards-910/

CGI-Quality said:
Cypher1980 said:
This is really going to be an strange little game.

The reviews should all hinge on whether this game is fun to play or not.

Leaving aside all the its just an interactive movie nonesense if its fun and engaging give it good marks.

I expect EDGE to review this quite favourably as traditionally they like to support departures from the norm.

Anyway so what if its an interactive movie. So was Dragons Lair and I still occasionally play that little beauty.

And that's where this game differs. It isn't Dragon's Lair, Cage has made this quite clear. Regardless, I agree with your viewpoint though, and think this will be a love it/hate it game with no grey in between.

Yeah agree. I only mention Dragons Lair as its often pilloried for the one thing that made the game unique.

Reckon history could repeat itself on that point.

Given the polar opposites that the game will no doubt cause I doubt its going to be a metacritic hit but I think its important to let the people decide if they like it or not

For instance Dead Space was one of my games of the generation but its reviews could be considered somewhat lacklustre.

Same for Dead Rising. Its save system was slated but for me it made the game and I loved its approach.

papflesje said:
Mrsmudkipz said:
Playstation Official Magazine.....yeah who cares?This review cant be too objektiv.

For the umpteenth time, OPM has proven with their previous reviews not to be biased towards PS games.

True, but they do tend to rate a little above Metacritic if they get the first review.

Which sets it up for an 86-87 on Metacritic. Or it would, if Heavy Rain was a normal game. It's not. So, it's anyone's guess as to what will happen next.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Kantor said:
papflesje said:
Mrsmudkipz said:
Playstation Official Magazine.....yeah who cares?This review cant be too objektiv.

For the umpteenth time, OPM has proven with their previous reviews not to be biased towards PS games.

True, but they do tend to rate a little above Metacritic if they get the first review.

Which sets it up for an 86-87 on Metacritic. Or it would, if Heavy Rain was a normal game. It's not. So, it's anyone's guess as to what will happen next.

Seems rather on the money then :) Difference of 3 or 4 seems relatively small

no 11/10?
Wow this will suck

GREAT REVIEW!!

this issue is a MUST HAVE, FF13 & heavy rain reviews

thankfully my friend has a subcrisption to OPM, hopefully he will bring it in to school tomorrow!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

9 is a very good score for a game that does so many amazing (new and never done before) things.

I think the reviewer does a great job of expressing that playing the game with an open mind, and enjoying what it has to offer is the (only) way to experience this title.

Games that raise/change the bar like Heavy Rain and Alan Wake are supposed to open our imagination to what gaming can bring to the table.

Acknowledge what these type of games have to offer artistically, and I am confident you will not be disappointed.

Chairman-Mao said:
That's great an all but let's keep in mind its Sony official magazine. I'll wait for the other reviews like IGN/Gamespot.

POM is NOT owned by Sony. I believe it's an independant company.