By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many Nintendo´s fan dislikes the Zelda franchise ?

How many Nintendo´s fan dislikes the Zelda franchise ?

Me, myself and I 38 19.90%

What the hell ?!?!? We all love it ! 153 80.10%

Total:191

to all who doesn't support Zelda and try so hardly to proove that there's many franchises that are a lot better than ZELDA this is for you " jealousy can sometimes kill ".

Around the Network

I like all 3D Zelda games outside of the DS ones.

KylieDog said:
I don't know anymore. The last Zelda to release that I really loved was Majoras Mask. All others since I have some issues with.

WW - Too easy, visually too kiddified compared to OoT/MM, poor dungeon design, Ganondorf again (boring), no voice acting.

TP - Too easy, again Ganondorf, no voice acting.

PH - Too easy, too repetitive, the world design sucked, dungeon design sucked, dungeons too small, WW style visuals.

I've not played Spirit Tracks so can only fault the visuals of it for same reasons as WW/PH. That is how much of a fan I am these days though, not even buying the latest one on release, and money has nothing to do with that decision.

I also have almost no hype for the next Wii Zelda because I am confident it is going to suffer from a number of issues listed in this post.

What do you mean "ganondorf again"? Dont u like him as the bad guy?

And your comments on WW and TP about 'no voice acting' makes it sound like there actually exist Zelda games with voice acting. So what do u mean exactly?

Sorcery said:

Roar_Of_War said:You despise Zelda? Thats a heavy word to use, especially if you used to love the series so much. What games have surpassed Zelda's exploration? What "bad gameplay mechanics" do wind waker and twilight princess hold compared to OoT? I doubt you can say anything that isn't either false, or preferenced. Wind Waker had innovation, just not too much gameplay-wise.

Also, all the big 3D Mario titles are very similar, why don't you complain about that? Because its Mario? Why should Zelda have to change so drastically if Mario doesn't have to? Because you can hardly compare Mario to anything, but Zelda has quite a bit of comparisons to other games. Zelda's a more competitive series than Mario in the fact that it could potentially be surpassed because it does what a lot of other games do out there, unlike Mario.

Still, its rather stupid to "despise" Zelda just because you may find something that, to you, is better than it. Out-performed perhaps (in your opinion), but despise? Did you want it to be better than all the rest that badly? Did it let you down? No wonder you don't like it anymore - you overloaded yourself. Over-obsession often leads to getting sick of that obsession one day, and being hostile towards it.

Like I said, just about every AAA game out there has surpassed Zelda's exploration and sense of discovery, but you really only need to look at one dev team to see just how far behind the Zelda team is. Team ICO blew by team Zelda last generation when it comes to exploration and sense of discovery.

Bad gameplay mechanics in TWW and TP? Huh... how about having to use the Wind Waker every minute in TWW to change the wind or control your partner? Good gameplay mechanic: Press A button and switch back and forth between controlling your partner. Bad gameplay mechanic: pull out the Wind Waker, play a song, watch a mini cutscene. Good gameplay mechanic: Sail in any direction regardless of the wind. Bad gameplay mechanic: pull out the Wind Waker, play a song, watch a mini cutscene.The Wind Waker itself was quite useless, unless you think it's super innovative to change the wind direction to use your Deku Leaf to hover over to another little island (why not just use a Cucco? That's all the Deku Leaf really is, a portable Cucco). More bad gameplay mechanics? I've seen many new players get frustrated with the horrible stealth sequence early in the game. Also, I'm sorry, but TWW's sailing grid with copy-pasted islands and towers compared to the open continental worlds of Skies of Arcadia? LOL.

For Twilight Princess, the entire Twilight realm was a horrible idea with poor implementation. Collecting light seeds was dull, no matter how you try to spin it I can't recall many fans saying it was a fun, worthwhile task. It broke the flow of the game, it wasn't fun, it didn't offer any new and exciting gameplay mechanics, it was a scripted mess. The Twilight realm limits what the player can do and where they can explore, it also lead to a wholly linear experience until you're a good 15-20 hours into the game.

With regards to Mario, the Mario games have an an astounding amount of variety within them, each game has been quite different from it's predecessor, while still retaining the core gameplay mechanics. The 2-d Mario games are nothing alike, and the 3-d games are quite different too. The different power ups, FLUDD, the usage of gravity in Galaxy, the Wii pointer, etc. Not to mention that the Mario team has greatly improved gameplay, and provided a large amount of variety of it too. Galaxy levels are completely different from Mario 64 levels.

I only despise the direction Zelda has gone in, which is no direction. Overloading myself? Nope, I still regularly play every game before the Gamecube generation, and I still love them, it's only the newer games that I don't touch (other than Minish Cap, I love that game, very original and unique). I don't expect Zelda to be the best at everything it does, that's like expecting GTA to be the best at everything, but I do expect it to be a bit of a "jack of all trades" type of game, which it most certainly isn't, not anymore.

I have to agree with you about Twilight Princess (that was actually my mine gripe with it), but all the things you said against Wind Waker indeed sound preferenced. I hardly ever got annoyed having to play the wind waker (and I'm not the most patient person, either), and the idea of it was interesting enough, anyway. It wasn't useless, which is another great thing about Wind Waker - Almost none of the items ever became useless (like in Twilight Princess). As for the stealth, not everyone hates that, you know. You shouldn't call it a flaw, especially since its far from "horrible". As for the islands....okay? You sound like you're forcing it. The only part I really didn't like so much was the Tri-force chart bit towards the end, and even then at least you got in some good exploration. Its not nearly as bad as some people say.

@ KylieDog: I honestly never expect Zelda to use voice acting. I can't imagine Miyamoto and Aonuma trying to evolve the series that much. Even with Zelda Wii it sounds like they just wanna change it, rather than evolve it. Who knows, though. We'll just have to wait and see what they decide to implement in it. It just feels like there are some things they'll never decide to do, either because of a risk or a misunderstanding. Its a shame, too. If someone else was working on Zelda, I know for a fact it would've already had at least decent voice acting. Probably not with Link, but hardly anyones asking for that anyway. Zelda would probably have quite a lot of new and improved aspects to it, and I'm sure it'd never become easy, or very actionless.

Senlis said:

It's funny how you should mention that you believe OOT was a great game, but TP seems like the same old thing.

Nintendo released a couple of great Zelda games between OOT and TP.  They included Manjoras Mask and Wind Waker.  They had innovative and original concepts that really evolved the series as a whole.  The problem?  Many people didn't like it.  They scoffed at not being able to play as adult link in Manjoras Mask.  They criticized it's lack of dungeons (only 4) and the time traveling system was completely not what they were used to.  They laughed at Wind Waker's graphical style, and how the game took place on an ocean.  Btw: some of the islands in WW were bigger than the areas of OOT.

Basically what I am saying is that Nintendo delivered two amazing games between OOT and TP.  The fans complained, saying that they wanted to play as adult Link in an experience similar to OOT.  The fans wanted it, and Nintendo delivered.  What you recieved was an amazing game, but one that didn't do much different than it's predecessor.  Then, people criticized it for not doing much different than it's predecessor.

To summarize, people complain when things change.

I totally agree with this. I actually said something similar in a different thread. People just love to complain. If TP is so terribly outdated and stale, why did it sell so much more than both MM and WW, two wholly fresh and innovative Zelda titles? Evidently it's not so bad as a LOT of people make it seem.

Also, I don't really get what they complain about concerning TP anyway, imo it is, on the whole, a much different game from OOT. It's much, much more elaborate and evolved than the foundation that OOT laid. If you compare the two, yes, there are of course similarities, durh, but TP feels like a much larger, more epic and more complete experience than OOT ever was. It does so much more so much better, people complaining and finding it far inferior to OOT are honestly just looking at the N64 game through rose-tinted glasses.

Of course, that's not to say I didn't love OOT. In fact, I love all Zelda games, and so far, I've found each and every installment to be fresh and exciting. Now if anyone wants to talk franchises gone stale, take a look at Pokémon, THERE's a franchise that's the textbook example of unoriginality. In fact, I could name a long, long list of franchises that fit that description, most of them popular 'core' HD games.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Slimebeast said:
KylieDog said:
I don't know anymore. The last Zelda to release that I really loved was Majoras Mask. All others since I have some issues with.

WW - Too easy, visually too kiddified compared to OoT/MM, poor dungeon design, Ganondorf again (boring), no voice acting.

TP - Too easy, again Ganondorf, no voice acting.

PH - Too easy, too repetitive, the world design sucked, dungeon design sucked, dungeons too small, WW style visuals.

I've not played Spirit Tracks so can only fault the visuals of it for same reasons as WW/PH. That is how much of a fan I am these days though, not even buying the latest one on release, and money has nothing to do with that decision.

I also have almost no hype for the next Wii Zelda because I am confident it is going to suffer from a number of issues listed in this post.

What do you mean "ganondorf again"? Dont u like him as the bad guy?

And your comments on WW and TP about 'no voice acting' makes it sound like there actually exist Zelda games with voice acting. So what do u mean exactly?

He was a decent villain...in OoT.  I'd much rather have a new enemy instead of one I repeatedly stick my sword into the head of just to have him come back next game for another head prodding.

WW/TP do not have voice acting in a time in gaming where not having it is really outdated, imo.  I know some people think this is heretic talk wanting it but really if they enjoy a bunch of mutes with subtitles I see no reason why voice acting cannot be included with a sound option to silence chatter, plenty of games have such options.   It actually really puts me off games nowdays when they try and have these long dramatic scenes in total silence or with some gargled noise that is meant to be chatter.

Imagine if Transformers or something had silent chatter and just subtitles...

Yeah, if the voice acting is optional, everybody should be happy.

I agree it has become completely outdated to not have voice acting. If a game has silent dialogues nowadays I tend to skip it. It simply is hard to get immersed and interested in dialogues if they don't talk.

I don't hate Zelda but I do find it boring. Never understood the mass love for it but my son is a huge Zelda fan.

Cheebee said:
Senlis said:

It's funny how you should mention that you believe OOT was a great game, but TP seems like the same old thing.

Nintendo released a couple of great Zelda games between OOT and TP.  They included Manjoras Mask and Wind Waker.  They had innovative and original concepts that really evolved the series as a whole.  The problem?  Many people didn't like it.  They scoffed at not being able to play as adult link in Manjoras Mask.  They criticized it's lack of dungeons (only 4) and the time traveling system was completely not what they were used to.  They laughed at Wind Waker's graphical style, and how the game took place on an ocean.  Btw: some of the islands in WW were bigger than the areas of OOT.

Basically what I am saying is that Nintendo delivered two amazing games between OOT and TP.  The fans complained, saying that they wanted to play as adult Link in an experience similar to OOT.  The fans wanted it, and Nintendo delivered.  What you recieved was an amazing game, but one that didn't do much different than it's predecessor.  Then, people criticized it for not doing much different than it's predecessor.

To summarize, people complain when things change.

I totally agree with this. I actually said something similar in a different thread. People just love to complain. If TP is so terribly outdated and stale, why did it sell so much more than both MM and WW, two wholly fresh and innovative Zelda titles? Evidently it's not so bad as a LOT of people make it seem.

Also, I don't really get what they complain about concerning TP anyway, imo it is, on the whole, a much different game from OOT. It's much, much more elaborate and evolved than the foundation that OOT laid. If you compare the two, yes, there are of course similarities, durh, but TP feels like a much larger, more epic and more complete experience than OOT ever was. It does so much more so much better, people complaining and finding it far inferior to OOT are honestly just looking at the N64 game through rose-tinted glasses.

Of course, that's not to say I didn't love OOT. In fact, I love all Zelda games, and so far, I've found each and every installment to be fresh and exciting. Now if anyone wants to talk franchises gone stale, take a look at Pokémon, THERE's a franchise that's the textbook example of unoriginality. In fact, I could name a long, long list of franchises that fit that description, most of them popular 'core' HD games.

Well, to be honest, you're right. There are plenty of core franchises that have done the same thing over and over again, yet Zelda seems to be the one getting the most criticism for this. I think the main issue however is the fact that expectations are constantly rising, and Nintendo has trouble changing or "evolving" enough to meet these expectations. With Zelda, its a very serious, respected franchise. People expect it to keep rivaling the competition, but the team behind Zelda seem to have trouble doing this, or don't understand just how seriously people want Zelda to be equally matched with what else is out there in terms of balance, freedom, difficulty, depth and ect.

Wind Waker actually would've been better if it didn't have such a rough start with the Cel-shaded haters. It actually was very good for its time, and it did make some obvious improvements while realizing some of its own minor flaws. (what game doesn't have those?)

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were simply the height of what you could get for a video game out there for their time, but Wind Waker and Twilight Princess didn't evolve quite enough compared to what was releasing around it. Its honestly Zelda against the world, because it gets compared to numerous games that aren't even of the same franchise.

I'm rapidly beginning to dislike it after meeting Skedritch in Spirit tracks.

Otherwise I have, and like, all the major Zelda releases.

Soriku said:
Slimebeast said:

I like Zelda a lot, especially Ocarina of Time cos of it's a big, almost open-world, but sadly I never finished it. I got stuck too many times, didn't have a guide or walk-through so I became frustrated and quit about halfways when I was stuck in a dungeon.

I was going to pick it up again a few years later with an internet walk-through available, but then for some reason the old game-save wasn't left on my N64 anymore.

How open or linear are Windwaker & Twiligte Princess compared to OOT?

TWW is hugely open. Try it, it's the best Zelda IMO.

Can it be bought thru virtual console?