By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan PRE-ORDER Chartz Thread - Will Be Updated Daily!

jarrod said:
leatherhat said:

The only original IP JRPG on PS3 that's done appreciably better on PS3 is WKC.  Literally everything else has been on par (Resonance of Fate) or appreciably worse (Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Eternal Sonata, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Trinity Universe, etc).

I think people put too much stock into Sakaguchi's name.  I can't really see how TLS would've been a big seller on anything but probably PS2, 10 years ago...

None of those games have near the pedigree that TLS had nor the mainstream advertisement. Plus not outselling WKC is pretty sad, its not like it was a blockbuster title. 

What pedigree does TLS have?  It was actually developed by Artoon.... so, uh Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS as their biggest past associated successes?  How well have Mistwalker's previous RPGs sold again?

Nevermind that WKC, ROF, Valkyria and Demon's Souls all had pretty decent pedigrees (Dragon Quest team, Valkyrie Profile team, Sakura Taisen team and King's Field team respectively).   Hell, Level-5 is arguably a much bigger draw than Mistwalker.

All this is really an exercise in futility.  Saying TLS would've sold better on a competitor's system is a non-starter argument, chiefly because TLS wouldn't exist if it wasn't on Wii.  It's a Nintendo game, it was funded by Nintendo, it's owned by Nintendo, and going by developer commentary Nintendo also helped shape it's direction even.  It's like saying GT5 or Mingol 5 would've sold better on Wii, possibly even being million sellers; that's entirely possible given Wii has a larger and more mainstream audience, which correlates far better to both games historically... but the thing is, Mingol 5 and GT5 could only exist on PS3.  So what's the point?

Oh puh-lease jarrod. Everybody knows it would have sold better on the PS3. If games like WKC and Resonance of Fate can do it. Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles didn't have great first weeks but they had amazing legs and they will probably end up higher LT than TLS. And we all know games like Nier or Resonance of Fate would have done better if they were PS3 exclusive. Just look at the Tales franchise and the FF franchise and you'll know where's the JRPG crowd.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:

The 360 could sell more new SW in February than the Wii.

I still find this amazing.

I find it funny! j/k j/k lawl

@Boutros

I agree!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

jarrod said:

The only original IP JRPG on PS3 that's done appreciably better on PS3 is WKC.  Literally everything else has been on par (Resonance of Fate) or appreciably worse (Nier, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Eternal Sonata, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Trinity Universe, etc).

I think people put too much stock into Sakaguchi's name.  I can't really see how TLS would've been a big seller on anything but probably PS2, 10 years ago...

None of that is relevant. Tales of Graces port has sold 50% more on the PS3 so far. Same game, half the userbase, a year late. It's painfully clear where the JRPG market lies.

darthdevidem01 said:

I find it funny!

You should have totally posted this!

Carl2291 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I find it funny!

You should have totally posted this!

Thats awesome how did you get that? And I have an idea for a better laugh, from the same movie, in the same place where that scene happened!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:

Thats awesome how did you get that? And I have an idea for a better laugh, from the same movie, in the same place where that scene happened!

About The Last Story argument going on.

It would have done far better as a DS or 3DS Game.

Carl2291 said:

About The Last Story argument going on.

It would have done far better as a DS or 3DS Game.

Is there really that much of an argument? I personally thought that its sales were fine. Not as high a I'd hoped, granted, but it'll definitely turn a profit, and will be a likely million-seller if released WW. And that's a good thing for this sorta game on the Wii!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Is there really that much of an argument? I personally thought that its sales were fine. Not as high a I'd hoped, granted, but it'll definitely turn a profit, and will be a likely million-seller if released WW. And that's a good thing for this sorta game on the Wii!

I wouldn't say it's an arguement really, just a debate... But yaknow.

It's sold fairly well. Can't complain about it. But let's face it. If it was on the DS it would have a FAR bigger JRPG base to appeal to, and if it was n the 3DS it would be probably the best launch title on the system.

Ni No Kuni for example has sold over 500k on the DS. That's... A lot.

Carl2291 said:
Conegamer said:

I wouldn't say it's an arguement really, just a debate... But yaknow.

It's sold fairly well. Can't complain about it. But let's face it. If it was on the DS it would have a FAR bigger JRPG base to appeal to, and if it was n the 3DS it would be probably the best launch title on the system.

Ni No Kuni for example has sold over 500k on the DS. That's... A lot.

Ni No Kuni came out during the Holiday season and they slashed it's price not long after its release because it was highly overshipped (the first shipment was 600k copies). So based on Level 5's expectations, it kind of undersold. That being said, I find the sales to be very good even though most of them were sold at a discounted price.

And yeah I'm pretty sure TLS would have sold more on the DS and on the PSP but they also don't make as much money with every copy sold when it's on handhelds.