By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - King of the RPGs : PS3 or 360 ?

"Lost Odyssey = 78"

This score for me is very offensive.
This game deserved much more (good reviews and sales).

Much, much (MUUUUUCH) better than eternal sonata, for example.
And they scored similarly!

Like I said, offensive. Because of this game I put 360 on top in jrpgs.
WRPGs I don't really know, because I find all of them incredibly generic - oblivion being the undisputed king of blandness!

Around the Network

meh...I guess it's leaning more towards the 360 at this moment, but 2010 looks good for RPG's overall(though looking better if you own a PS3 IMO) so I'll wait till then

Any console that doesnt have Mass Effect series is lost imo. Sorry it has to be 360 for me.

I think as it stands the Xbox 360 comfortable owns the WRPG genre, and will for the generation. I mean is there a single exclusive WRPG on the PS3 worth noting?

The Xbox 360 has Mass Effect, Two Worlds and Fable, in addition to routinely getting timed exclusives on DLC like with Fallout.

As for JRPG's, saying the PS3 has the lead at the moment is wishful thinking. I'd concede that it is a tie, but there is no clear advantage either way. That said, it is likely to change. Microsoft gained an early lead with Eastern developer inducements, but they seem to have all but given up.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

numonex said:
360 = WRPG king.
PS3 = JRPG king.

It all depends on whether you prefer WRPGs or JRPGs.

I would agree somwhere close to this. 360's Mass Effect tips the chast in their favor mostly when it comes to WRPGs, partially Fable II i guess.

PS3 wins with JRPGs but not by much. Its saving grace is Valkyria Chronicles(Which is more of RTS/SRPG hybrid)  and Demon's Souls(but DS plays more like a WRPG).

Good RPGs are not really overflowing this gen. WRPGs were all but non existant last gen, they favored D&D WAY too much, most found that repulsive. JRPGs were a dime a dozen but not so this gen. The hiarchy of which is favored has shifted toward WRPGs, at least until AAA releases like FFXIII, WKC and FF Versus XIII.

Oh, how I miss the PS1 and PS2 era.....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network
starcraft said:
I think as it stands the Xbox 360 comfortable owns the WRPG genre, and will for the generation. I mean is there a single exclusive WRPG on the PS3 worth noting?

The Xbox 360 has Mass Effect, Two Worlds and Fable, in addition to routinely getting timed exclusives on DLC like with Fallout.

As for JRPG's, saying the PS3 has the lead at the moment is wishful thinking. I'd concede that it is a tie, but there is no clear advantage either way. That said, it is likely to change. Microsoft gained an early lead with Eastern developer inducements, but they seem to have all but given up.

WRPGs is a definite given to 360, PS3 has no WRPG developers(they should invest in some). Closest thing to WRPG is Demon's Souls.

JRPG Goes to PS3,because Infinite Undiscovery was an atrocity, Last Remnant an eye sore,Blue Dragon is a horrible DQ clone which is a series that never really resonated outside of Japan in the first place, SO:TLH is coming to PS3 with extra content, Tales of Vesperia is coming to PS3 with bucket loads more including extra character and I heard it comes with the Tales movie as well. Magna Carta II was an improvement over the original(but first was horendous so thats not saying much) and it to is coming to PS3 with an International Version(said by the Sony Representative who revises my store's push on everything Playstation) The only decent JRPG worth noting beyond that is Lost Odyssey....which was very laggy and broken, its shining grace being its story. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are more than enough to contend with that, WKC will be no slouch either.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Slimebeast said:
Btw, Demon's Souls is not a JRPG.

XD

forevercloud3000 said:
starcraft said:

WRPGs is a definite given to 360, PS3 has no WRPG developers(they should invest in some). Closest thing to WRPG is Demon's Souls.

JRPG Goes to PS3,because Infinite Undiscovery was an atrocity, Last Remnant an eye sore,Blue Dragon is a horrible DQ clone which is a series that never really resonated outside of Japan in the first place, SO:TLH is coming to PS3 with extra content, Tales of Vesperia is coming to PS3 with bucket loads more including extra character and I heard it comes with the Tales movie as well. Magna Carta II was an improvement over the original(but first was horendous so thats not saying much) and it to is coming to PS3 with an International Version(said by the Sony Representative who revises my store's push on everything Playstation) The only decent JRPG worth noting beyond that is Lost Odyssey....which was very laggy and broken, its shining grace being its story. Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are more than enough to contend with that, WKC will be no slouch either.

But thats all future. As of right now, 360 has all those JRPG's that PS3 is currently waiting for. As a fan of the genre, I'd rather play them at first release. Star OCean TLH has been out for ages, as has TOV. Lost Odyssey is underated and Blue Dragon was a fun game. Just slightly dumbed down for more accessablness. I thought the thread was about the now.

forevercloud3000 said:
starcraft said:

So what you're saying is you didn't like the games that came in the past for the Xbox 360, and because you EXPECT games coming for the PS3 in the future, it takes the crown for JRPG's?  Right now?

No.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

RPG's as a whole market?

360 takes this crown.