By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Demo Now Availible

IllegalPaladin said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Isn't counter strike source a multiplayer only game? Cause I only play multiplayer with mine. That's kind of a huge difference between HL2 and CS source.

Hmm, I'm rather lost about where HL2 and CS:S came into the topic. It's either something to keep one's opinion about the PS3 proudly at a low or apparently the person doesn't like it when somebody is interested with another game. . .

I guess I'm not allowed to like other games?.... I'm a big Half-Life fan too, but I don't get why we're even comparing these games anyway?

___

Oh and CZ rocks! (any heavy 1.6'ers here? lol)

It started because someone said something about shooting an enemy with a grenade and they dropped it.  They acted like it's the most amazing thing ever and that it had never been done.  I came back with a while it is cool, I was pretty sure Half-Life 2 did it long before them (and they may have not even been the first).  Someone after that said that since they extensively played CS: Source and that didn't happen in CS they were sure it didn't happen in HL2 even though they never played it.  I'm pretty sure you can catch up from there.

Around the Network

The demo is no longer region locked for those who want to try it

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

dang I have to re-download the demo :P YAY!!!

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

I hope they're true to their word with the streaming. Even though the demo is installed on the HDD, it's pretty kickass that the when the main menu loads up, starting the game takes you directly into the cutscene instantly.

I also like it when there is something going on during loading sequences too. The Darkness was cool that it had the character talk while the game loaded (though I noticed that they usually finished half way through the loading). Call of Duty 4 is pretty cool to with the between level stuff taking place during loading sequences and they take longer than it takes to load the level so you wont just be sitting there.

It really helps lower the pauses of loading.

twesterm said:
IllegalPaladin said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Isn't counter strike source a multiplayer only game? Cause I only play multiplayer with mine. That's kind of a huge difference between HL2 and CS source.

Hmm, I'm rather lost about where HL2 and CS:S came into the topic. It's either something to keep one's opinion about the PS3 proudly at a low or apparently the person doesn't like it when somebody is interested with another game. . .

I guess I'm not allowed to like other games?.... I'm a big Half-Life fan too, but I don't get why we're even comparing these games anyway?

___

Oh and CZ rocks! (any heavy 1.6'ers here? lol)

It started because someone said something about shooting an enemy with a grenade and they dropped it.  They acted like it's the most amazing thing ever and that it had never been done.  I came back with a while it is cool, I was pretty sure Half-Life 2 did it long before them (and they may have not even been the first).  Someone after that said that since they extensively played CS: Source and that didn't happen in CS they were sure it didn't happen in HL2 even though they never played it.  I'm pretty sure you can catch up from there.

I remember when Leo j shit his pants because the enemies in resistence reacted to being shot - ie stumbling back. He then claimed that this was the first time it had been done in any game, and that RFOM was superior to Halo because people didnt react to being shot in halo.

How I miss him...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they are streming the demo. In one part you could just barely glimpse the treetops of the next area popping in.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

I'm intersted to hear what yall think of the Tomb Raiderish platforming aspects. Are they well implemented? Also some of the footage I've seen made me think that this game is Melee intensive. I've wondered if the devs giving the demo were just over emphasising that aspect for coolness factor. Can you play it as a pure shooter? Wish I knew someone with a PS3 I'd like to give this one a spin. Looks pretty stellar.

As to HL2 the grenade thing is quite common with Combine Zombies. Does no one rember Goldeneye some of the coolest reactions to being shot ever.

SpookyXJ said:
I'm intersted to hear what yall think of the Tomb Raiderish platforming aspects. Are they well implemented? Also some of the footage I've seen made me think that this game is Melee intensive. I've wondered if the devs giving the demo were just over emphasising that aspect for coolness factor. Can you play it as a pure shooter? Wish I knew someone with a PS3 I'd like to give this one a spin. Looks pretty stellar.

As to HL2 the grenade thing is quite common with Combine Zombies. Does no one rember Goldeneye some of the coolest reactions to being shot ever.

my understanding is that the demo is supposed to highlight the gunplay. the platforming that was there was pretty straight forward though in the last section it took me a bit to figure out the jumping puzzle. the platforming shown in the demo was similar to the transversal gameplay in ico/shadow of the colossus. in the first part you basically follow a linear path until you approach a waterfall. you climb up a series of moss-covered rocks and walk along the river. you have the option to climb some more rocks, jump a fair sized gap and then cross a log, or to drop down into a little pond type thing, climb a series of rocks and cross the same log. the areas shown in the demo seemed to highlight that there is more than one way to approach a platforming situation or gunfight.

the demo isn't particularly melee intensive. i was playing the demo on hard you need to be extremely careful with melee attacks as other enemies will attack you heavily in the open and you can die very quickly taking fire. On lower difficulty settings you have more wiggle room for what you can get away with in terms of how you approach a situation. What i found worked for me on hard was to be as aggressive as I could get away with. Don't give them room to move around you, throw grenades to control their movements and use melee attacks intelligently while taking advantage of cover near them to take down enemies fast. like i said before, if you go in button mashing they will punch you back and shoot you, which impedes your ability to finish up and find cover again. When it was down to the last couple enemies in a section though, i found myself much more liberal with my use of melee attacks.

in the demo i suppose you could play it as a pure shooter. the thing is, many opportunites arise for melee combat and you'd be silly to simply stay at a distance and shoot them so i'm not sure why you'd want to. while i'm clearly just speculating, i'd say to beat the game on medium or hard you need to use melee attacks to your full advantage as when they're done right it's a great way to neutralize enemies fast without exhausting your ammo. Popping out from cover to do melee attacks is very satisfying and if you do it just right you kill them very quickly.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

darthdevidem said:
UNCHARTED DEMO IS now REGION-FREE
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/09/uncharted-drake%e2%80%99s-fortune-demo-back-on-the-world-map/

So this means that I OWE an apology to Naughty Dog, they are the best.

this really proves they take user feedback seriously

Yeah ! Time to get naughty ! Thanks for the info.

Man I love this game. Best gfx, best game play and best I don't know!!! It's just the best :D

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Impressive. The best PS3's game I've played so far. HS is solid, R&C is great but this. It's awesome. You really feel you have a total control over character. Cool combat system. Both firearm and brawl work great. I was a bit disappointed by HS framerate issues so I'm really pleased with fact such awesome graphics keep things smooth. Day one purchase. It's easily another PS3 contender for +90% score. Hope it will sell hundreds of thousands units. 150k-200k as for week one in US should be a minimum. It really delivers.