By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Demo Now Availible

Just played it, and it's soo much better than the brilliant ratchet, it has now moved from 150% chance of buying it to 300%, it was that good. I died a couple of times, but I never really had to retrace back far. Due to the challenge presented, I felt satisified when I took down an enemy attack, although I hope that there is more emphasis on platforming throughout the game. Admittedly, I did not really get the melee stuff, but it probably takes some time to get used to. Lovely graphics, especially the water. I only had problems with controls once, when a guy was just round a corner, and I wanted to roll to him, but in the end I could just walk up to him and take him out. drake is a great character, and the opening cinematic set the whole thing up well. The aiming is good, although i still feel that the enemies can take too many bullets, but the whole thing was just fun, I want to play it again, soon, although not this level because I have seen it in videos like 100 times, which is why the only video that I'll be watching of Uncharted before launch is the gametrailers review

Playing on normal, but I still felt it was challenging, unlike ratchet (my only criticism of R & C thus far)

And thank you Naughty Dog for correcting that mistake, that is why you are the best company.

add me

Around the Network

Munkeh said:

And thank you Naughty Dog for correcting that mistake, that is why you are the best company

*tilts glass* I agree, if all the developers in the world went to a big convention, and a fire broke out, I wouldn't really mind as long as Naughty Dog and Valve got out.

I'm downloading the demo now, it's taking a while.... but I don't really mind. I'm leaving in ten minutes to go on
a bit of a shopping spree (R+C, The Simpsons and possibly CoD4), today is a great day to be a gamer. 

sieanr said:
twesterm said:
IllegalPaladin said:
The_vagabond7 said:
Isn't counter strike source a multiplayer only game? Cause I only play multiplayer with mine. That's kind of a huge difference between HL2 and CS source.

Hmm, I'm rather lost about where HL2 and CS:S came into the topic. It's either something to keep one's opinion about the PS3 proudly at a low or apparently the person doesn't like it when somebody is interested with another game. . .

I guess I'm not allowed to like other games?.... I'm a big Half-Life fan too, but I don't get why we're even comparing these games anyway?

___

Oh and CZ rocks! (any heavy 1.6'ers here? lol)

It started because someone said something about shooting an enemy with a grenade and they dropped it.  They acted like it's the most amazing thing ever and that it had never been done.  I came back with a while it is cool, I was pretty sure Half-Life 2 did it long before them (and they may have not even been the first).  Someone after that said that since they extensively played CS: Source and that didn't happen in CS they were sure it didn't happen in HL2 even though they never played it.  I'm pretty sure you can catch up from there.

I remember when Leo j shit his pants because the enemies in resistence reacted to being shot - ie stumbling back. He then claimed that this was the first time it had been done in any game, and that RFOM was superior to Halo because people didnt react to being shot in halo.

How I miss him...

Oh, and I'm pretty sure they are streming the demo. In one part you could just barely glimpse the treetops of the next area popping in.

Keep on putting in Shit in my mouth, First of I said KILLZONE 2 was superior than halo 3. Also I never missed you.

-leo-j

mM
SpookyXJ said:
I'm intersted to hear what yall think of the Tomb Raiderish platforming aspects. Are they well implemented? Also some of the footage I've seen made me think that this game is Melee intensive. I've wondered if the devs giving the demo were just over emphasising that aspect for coolness factor. Can you play it as a pure shooter? Wish I knew someone with a PS3 I'd like to give this one a spin. Looks pretty stellar.

As to HL2 the grenade thing is quite common with Combine Zombies. Does no one rember Goldeneye some of the coolest reactions to being shot ever.

Nah, it's not really that melee intensive, but you can use it at a close range. The combat feels like the Def Jam: Icon demo where doing combos requires you to press buttons in a certain pattern as opposed to just jamming on it. It makes it interesting, but I wouldn't recommend rushing and melee attacking a guy unless you're doing it in an area that is covered from other enemies because you can die pretty quick if you're in the open. 

I don't know about the old school Tomb Raiders, but Uncharted feels like Tomb Raider: Anniversairy (which I believe is similar to Legend). There wasn't a whole lot of jumping around like that though, save for one or two areas, I would like to see how well they've done in the areas where you have to get really high up though.

By the way, the Combine Zombies are called Zombines! Has nobody else found Alyx's humor funny?  

SamuelRSmith said:

Munkeh said:

And thank you Naughty Dog for correcting that mistake, that is why you are the best company.

*tilts glass* I agree, if all the developers in the world went to a big convention, and a fire broke out, I wouldn't really mind as long as Naughty Dog and Valve got out.

I'm downloading the demo now, it's taking a while.... but I don't really mind. I'm leaving in ten minutes to go on
a bit of a shopping spree (R+C, The Simpsons and possibly CoD4), today is a great day to be a gamer.

Got R & C from amazon yesterday, and CoD just now, looking forwards to a few hour play session

add me

Around the Network

WOW WHAT A GEM!!

Nuaghty Dog you have my FULL respect!!

It's BETTER than Ratchet (& thats saying something with 91% on metacritic)

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

@darthdevidem Ratchet is only 89% but having spent today and yesterday playing Ratchet, CoD, UDF the 20 mins of uncharted wins, followed by CoD and then Ratchet

add me

I really like the demo. I played it three times already haha. The graphics are really gorgeous, and the lighting is extremely well done. The trees seem to cast a shadow on everything they're over. The gameplay is also really fun and I love the detail put into the animations like when Nathan stumbles. I also thought I saw Nate fall backwards once when I tried to get away from a grenade that landed right next to me. If that really happened then that is pretty cool, haha

I need to get this game and AC as Xmas gifts haha =D

WEWdeadeye said:
Should I get this or CoD 4? I already paid for mass effect, and had CoD4 preordered, but I can wait for that. Is uncharted worth a purchase?

Deeeefinitely worth the purchase over CoD4, but still, get CoD4 some other time. Uncharted's graphics kill CoD4's any day. When you zoom in on CoD4 the textures are really smudged, as is the case with a lot of games, but why conform with that when in Uncharted the textures don't smudge at all? 

Asside from the graphics, the gameplay is really good.  

Confirmed ,the demo now works on Pal machines .

The demo is just brilliant ,the graphics ,animation ,lighting etc just raises the bar to eleven .Ratchet was fucking awesome graphics-wise but this is even better .Some of the effects as Nathan outfit getting dirty or wet is the best I have seen .Definitely the game to beat right now technically ,it is better than both Ratchet and COD 4 (and COD 4 has been dubbed as the best graphics of the year on 360 and PS3 when reviewed ) and Assasins Creed will have to be really massive in that regard to beat it .

As for the gameplay ,it is realistic and though .THe enemies have very good IA and put a good challenge .You feel a sense of reward after dispatching another of their assaults .The control and possibilities controlling Nathan are top notch as well .Brilliant .

I had other priorities to buy this year but definitely I will have to reserve some cash for Uncharted .For someone who loves adventure games with exploring ,action etc this is just awesome .