By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Yamauchi: GT5 to use “80%” of PS3’s power

Its irrelevant how much of some arbitrary performance they are using. You need orders of magnitude more performance to show genuine improvements in games. Moving from say 50% to 80% doesn't mean much for a gamer, but moving from 80% to 400% or a 5* increase is something that really does change the nature of a title.

Around the Network

GT5P > GT5 demo

mM

I absolutely love it when people on gaming forums say developers are talking bullshit when saying these numbers, why it is so wrong for a developer to know the power of a console they have been working on?

The killer is when these people are kids or working at KFC, that would be 99% of them.

luvtospooge said:
Garnett said:
Hi im Yamauchi and im here to sell you GT5

:)

This is class A bullshit, Racing games dont do jack shit besides go in circles and if the PS3 is really maxed out by that then lmao.

It is way more complex than that, so Lmao at you....

I realize that there using some SPU for graphics, but if it really is closed to being maxed out then lol.

and btw the graphics suck ass, the hole back ground is a piece of paper, the crowd is a piece of paper and there is no grass. At least in the time trial i downloaded which JUST came out a little before christmas.

I know this isnt the final product but damn...

Garnett said:
luvtospooge said:
Garnett said:

This is class A bullshit, Racing games dont do jack shit besides go in circles and if the PS3 is really maxed out by that then lmao.

I realize that there using some SPU for graphics, but if it really is closed to being maxed out then lol.

and btw the graphics suck ass, the hole back ground is a piece of paper, the crowd is a piece of paper and there is no grass. At least in the time trial i downloaded which JUST came out a little before christmas.

It wasnt a demo. It was a time trial to get the best gran turismo drivers( GT Academy). It was dumbed down a lot to fit in with 300mb( a demo from that kind of game is waaaay more than that)...So don't jump to conclusions yet...

Around the Network
phxprovost said:

I love BS comments like this, because they release them with the sole purpose to rile up fanboys

My question is, So it uses 80% huh? is that cause one of the spe's is locked away from you for system use so your really using 100% available to you, and 80% of what the ps3 has available?.....

Haha...

Yeah, and by the way, ofcourse you're not going to like a racing game without driving assists if you don't have proper equipment.. Try driving a car with a DS3, and tell me how long it takes you to run into a tree.

Garnett said:
luvtospooge said:
Garnett said:

The time trail was pretty barebones. Visually, everything was GT5p but with some generic map that clearly wasn't made with "LET'S MAKE VISUALS THAT WiLL BLOW THEIR MINDS!!!" in mind. My guess is that time trail was just GT5p with updated physics and rushed map.

4 ≈ One

Well, at different points of play, there will be different levels of resources used, and therefore different amounts of power. It is not a constant 80%, perhaps 80% average. I am not really sure the point of telling us this though; I would be more impressed with some new rendering technique to take the performance to a whole new level (ie. Donkey Kong Country utilized 24 bit graphics on a system that was supposed to be only capable of 16 bit graphics).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Its BS because in the world of computers, a program such as a video game will infinitely scale inside the system its run, so if theres really 20% more "power" left, the game can scale to use it, with things such as richer textures, increased physics samples, AA, AF, and so on and so on.

Point is, If GT5 is only using 80% of the ps3's "power" it means on of two things, what i originally said in my first post, or 2 : they cant figure out how to get more out of the ps3 and are happy sitting at "80%"

TheThunder said:
Wow more than 3 years into the PS3 life and we are still getting "game X uses Y% of power of the PS3" !!

Not to be a dick, but almost 7 years after the PS2 came out, games still looked better on it (GoW2), we better hope that this is a low estimate or the peak is much closer than a comparable time in the PS2's lifetime.

OT: What's 80% of infinity?