By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official Dec 2009 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Jan 2 in 5 hrs)

You know, NPD only accounts for USA. In Americas as a whole, the Wii could plausibly be over 4 million for the month right (assuming NPD isn't widely overtracking it)?

Funny thing is, Ninty expected a little over 3 million Wiis. This is just....amazing.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
the PSP is dead in the west, but in JAPAN its one of the best selling platforms.

It's not doing that exceptionally in Japan either anyway, sales in 2009 were nearly 1.5m down from 2008 and it's best selling game was a budget rerelease.  For hardware it's still second (barely), but for software it's a distant 3rd.

it sold 150K last week, and had KH BBS debut nearly twice as high as the DS KH game.

It should've sold more than twice as much, it's a "real" Kingdom Hearts rather than a low budget outsourced spinoff like the DS game.   

PSP had a huge AAA game and a hardware bundle last week.  It's also been trending the largest declines of any platform in Japan.

May not be a huge difference maker, but does anyone know if KH: BBS was available for download on PSN Japan for GO users?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

tombi123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
tombi123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Kasz216 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

you can keep going on about statistics, I have made my position clear to you already.

Which is apparently that you want to be willfully ignorant because it means something good for Sony.

Which as a position isn't the strongest one to have.

Once again chill out & don't give yourself too much stress over this. I will continue to claim PS3 won December against 360, you can say it was a "statistical tie" for all of eternity if you wish.

The difference is, Kasz is right. 

I have already put my point forward & he has put his point forward, and I completely disagree with him.

Its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of fact. 

If NPD had chosen a different set of data points (but the same number of data points) for December (say tracking Toys R Us instead of Gamestop for example), NPD could have easily had the 360 at 1.36M and the PS3 at 1.31M.

you are just regurgitating what kasz has said

PS3 outsold 360 by 50K according to NPD date, that figure is in front of me.

end of/

you feel differently, feel that way.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

so going by npd since slim launch ps3 has been able to outsell the 360 in USA by 150k total so far

i also like ioi " find the 3.8m figure pretty hard to take seriously"

also npd shows u2 to be a mill in usa alone does that mean that only 300k copies are sold in the rest of americas? isnt that a little low for the rest of americas? or they just dont buy games as much as the 50 states

Play Me

leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
the PSP is dead in the west, but in JAPAN its one of the best selling platforms.

It's not doing that exceptionally in Japan either anyway, sales in 2009 were nearly 1.5m down from 2008 and it's best selling game was a budget rerelease.  For hardware it's still second (barely), but for software it's a distant 3rd.

it sold 150K last week, and had KH BBS debut nearly twice as high as the DS KH game.

It should've sold more than twice as much, it's a "real" Kingdom Hearts rather than a low budget outsourced spinoff like the DS game.   

PSP had a huge AAA game and a hardware bundle last week.  It's also been trending the largest declines of any platform in Japan.

PSP is up year on year so far in 2010

and, KH BBS is a spin off, just like KH 358/2

This year's only had one week, lol.  

And BBS is NOT a spinoff.  It's basically Kingdom Hearts Zero, which was it's working title in fact.  It's being given a fullscale promotional treatment like a full sequel, it's developed inhouse (unlike the GBA/DS spinoffs) and it's actually has new content/worlds developed for it (like KH1/2, unlike 358/2d).

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
By the way Darth, these error margins mean PS3 fans can claim that the PS3 sold 1M units in a week, two weeks in a row, given a 10% error margin.

vgchartz 10% error margin?

Roughly (which is pretty good).

I agree. I want to know why everyone is saying NPD is a statistical tie when they don't know the margin of error.

NPD doesn't track a high enough percentage of the market to be accurate to within a couple of percent.

letsdance said:
and their formula produced ps3 > 360.

if the info they were provided didn't show the ps3 out pacing the 360 then it wouldn't show up in that way in the final number.

No it didn't.  Not statisticially... I'd further elaborate... but this is already explained in a previous post of mine.

To put it again... those numbers aren't exact numbers.

jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

what circumstances, some sites were predicting 400k for the PSP this month, many people were saying it wasnt selling at all in their stores. The PSP has lost tons of momemtums coming to December, that number is fine.

The number's terrible and so is the continual downward spiral considering the platform saw arguably it's best software lineup since 2005 and a platform refresh with GO.  Sony's huge PSP push this year has been a complete bust, hardware's still sliding and software's abysmal.  I'm not sure what they need to do, or what they can do even, but if they don't do something they'll have a dead platform this time next year.

It's fine. And it's already next year, it's still fine.

All it needs is a price drop and consistant game release.

How can software get more consistent than this year?  Especially when nearly everything this year bombed?

I'm sorry, I think we're heading towards the point of no return here.  Sony got all the big publishers to line up with core oriented games (PSP had a better 3rd party lineup that Wii even this fall), they focused on a comprehensive digital library, they released a premium digital-only refresh and all it still failed.  I'm not sure what they should do, games certainly didn't work, digital didn't work.  Massive pricedrops might work, but then what are they going to prop up those PS3 losses with?

I'm starting to think we're going to see PSP2 sooner than anticipated...

Replace all you have said, put PS3 in there, and it's 2008 over again. I have seen this before, i have heard the cry for Sony to kill the PS3, it's still hearand doing great. The PSP  needs software and a price cut. That's all.

You're over-generalising.  PS3 was never in the sort of software sales malaise that PSP finds itself in in America now.

PSP has software.  It didn't matter, sales are even worse than last year when it didn't have software.  It's a dead platform walking...

Well, there goes your argument, the PSP in 2008 had plenty of Software compared to 2009.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:

PSP is up year on year so far in 2010

and, KH BBS is a spin off, just like KH 358/2

This year's only had one week, lol.  

And BBS is NOT a spinoff.  It's basically Kingdom Hearts Zero, which was it's working title in fact.  It's being given a fullscale promotional treatment like a full sequel, it's developed inhouse (unlike the GBA/DS spinoffs) and it's actually has new content/worlds developed for it (like KH1/2, unlike 358/2d).

BBS is a spin off..

Kingdom hearts ZERO = Coded, 358/2 DAYS, and BIRTH BY SLEEP

Its not getting fullscale promotional treatment like a full sequel at all, and I dont know about it being developed in house?

mM

And niether is the margin of error... to put again... their information showed ps3 selling at a faster rate... ps3 won.