By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official Dec 2009 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Jan 2 in 5 hrs)

psrock said:
Now, where are the people who didn't believe they were 2 million 360"s out there?

I was wondering too ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

what circumstances, some sites were predicting 400k for the PSP this month, many people were saying it wasnt selling at all in their stores. The PSP has lost tons of momemtums coming to December, that number is fine.

The number's terrible and so is the continual downward spiral considering the platform saw arguably it's best software lineup since 2005 and a platform refresh with GO.  Sony's huge PSP push this year has been a complete bust, hardware's still sliding and software's abysmal.  I'm not sure what they need to do, or what they can do even, but if they don't do something they'll have a dead platform this time next year.

It's fine. And it's already next year, it's still fine.

All it needs is a price drop and consistant game release.

How can software get more consistent than this year?  Especially when nearly everything this year bombed?

I'm sorry, I think we're heading towards the point of no return here.  Sony got all the big publishers to line up with core oriented games (PSP had a better 3rd party lineup that Wii even this fall), they focused on a comprehensive digital library, they released a premium digital-only refresh and all it still failed.  I'm not sure what they should do, games certainly didn't work, digital didn't work.  Massive pricedrops might work, but then what are they going to prop up those PS3 losses with?

I'm starting to think we're going to see PSP2 sooner than anticipated...

Replace all you have said, put PS3 in there, and it's 2008 over again. I have seen this before, i have heard the cry for Sony to kill the PS3, it's still hearand doing great. The PSP  needs software and a price cut. That's all.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Statistical tie?

Bull shit.

This is NPDs numbers and with their information they were confident to conclude that the ps3 sold better this month. If they didnt think one performed better than the other they would have put it in a dead heat.

Is it possible that they are wrong? Yes.

But that doesn't change the fact that the information the provide shows the ps3 out performing the 360.

theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
By the way Darth, these error margins mean PS3 fans can claim that the PS3 sold 1M units in a week, two weeks in a row, given a 10% error margin.

vgchartz 10% error margin?

Roughly (which is pretty good).

letsdance said:
Statistical tie?

Bull shit.

This is NPDs numbers and with their information they were confident to conclude that the ps3 sold better this month. If they didnt think one performed better than the other they would have put it in a dead heat.

Is it possible that they are wrong? Yes.

But that doesn't change the fact that the information the provide shows the ps3 out performing the 360.

No... they wouldn't.

NPD runs the numbers their formula produces.

If they didn't... they'd be committing a crime.

Any tracking numbers have an assumed ~ infront of them.

Around the Network

and their formula produced ps3 > 360.

if the info they were provided didn't show the ps3 out pacing the 360 then it wouldn't show up in that way in the final number.

psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:
jarrod said:
psrock said:

what circumstances, some sites were predicting 400k for the PSP this month, many people were saying it wasnt selling at all in their stores. The PSP has lost tons of momemtums coming to December, that number is fine.

The number's terrible and so is the continual downward spiral considering the platform saw arguably it's best software lineup since 2005 and a platform refresh with GO.  Sony's huge PSP push this year has been a complete bust, hardware's still sliding and software's abysmal.  I'm not sure what they need to do, or what they can do even, but if they don't do something they'll have a dead platform this time next year.

It's fine. And it's already next year, it's still fine.

All it needs is a price drop and consistant game release.

How can software get more consistent than this year?  Especially when nearly everything this year bombed?

I'm sorry, I think we're heading towards the point of no return here.  Sony got all the big publishers to line up with core oriented games (PSP had a better 3rd party lineup that Wii even this fall), they focused on a comprehensive digital library, they released a premium digital-only refresh and all it still failed.  I'm not sure what they should do, games certainly didn't work, digital didn't work.  Massive pricedrops might work, but then what are they going to prop up those PS3 losses with?

I'm starting to think we're going to see PSP2 sooner than anticipated...

Replace all you have said, put PS3 in there, and it's 2008 over again. I have seen this before, i have heard the cry for Sony to kill the PS3, it's still hearand doing great. The PSP  needs software and a price cut. That's all.

dude psp is at 60M units. Who even knows how much they make off every one. The PSP has only dropped like 120$ since it came out. It's been consistently replaced by new models which don't have any major differences that would affect investment of R&D. Sony probably makes a large chunk of change on PSP. I even think the pspgo is probably making them 100$+ per sale. In Japan, that's 1m per week or so.

leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
the PSP is dead in the west, but in JAPAN its one of the best selling platforms.

It's not doing that exceptionally in Japan either anyway, sales in 2009 were nearly 1.5m down from 2008 and it's best selling game was a budget rerelease.  For hardware it's still second (barely), but for software it's a distant 3rd.

it sold 150K last week, and had KH BBS debut nearly twice as high as the DS KH game.

It should've sold more than twice as much, it's a "real" Kingdom Hearts rather than a low budget outsourced spinoff like the DS game.   

PSP had a huge AAA game and a hardware bundle last week.  It's also been trending the largest declines of any platform in Japan.

tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
By the way Darth, these error margins mean PS3 fans can claim that the PS3 sold 1M units in a week, two weeks in a row, given a 10% error margin.

vgchartz 10% error margin?

Roughly (which is pretty good).

I agree. I want to know why everyone is saying NPD is a statistical tie when they don't know the margin of error.

jarrod said:
leo-j said:
jarrod said:
leo-j said:
the PSP is dead in the west, but in JAPAN its one of the best selling platforms.

It's not doing that exceptionally in Japan either anyway, sales in 2009 were nearly 1.5m down from 2008 and it's best selling game was a budget rerelease.  For hardware it's still second (barely), but for software it's a distant 3rd.

it sold 150K last week, and had KH BBS debut nearly twice as high as the DS KH game.

It should've sold more than twice as much, it's a "real" Kingdom Hearts rather than a low budget outsourced spinoff like the DS game.   

PSP had a huge AAA game and a hardware bundle last week.  It's also been trending the largest declines of any platform in Japan.

PSP is up year on year so far in 2010

and, KH BBS is a spin off, just like KH 358/2

mM