By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official Dec 2009 NPD Thread (Data for 5 weeks ending Jan 2 in 5 hrs)

BoneyBoy said:
Hyruken said:
Simply amazing numbers by Nintendo and PS3 deserves their numbers for sure. They had a load of great games out recently.

I wonder how Microsoft will react to being last in all regions. No wonder we did not hear from them today ;)

So how were the numbers year over year?

Microsoft has profited for 2 straight years with their xbox division.

They are simply trying to make some profit.

Sony and the ps3 has NEVER made 1 yen of profit in 3 years.

Microsoft isn't worried about losing by 50k after sony's huge price cut, huge marketing campaig, and redesigned console.

You better check your sources because you are WRONG Fanboy.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
and their formula produced ps3 > 360.

if the info they were provided didn't show the ps3 out pacing the 360 then it wouldn't show up in that way in the final number.

No it didn't.  Not statisticially... I'd further elaborate... but this is already explained in a previous post of mine.

To put it again... those numbers aren't exact numbers.

You like to argue the stupid stuff too much, if they were equal, why didnt NPD just put as equal, it clearly shows the PS3 on top, what is the issue?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
tombi123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
tombi123 said:
By the way Darth, these error margins mean PS3 fans can claim that the PS3 sold 1M units in a week, two weeks in a row, given a 10% error margin.

SO what? in my eyes PS3 beat 360 in december according to the figures we got

in my eyes PS3 didn't cross 1 million in both weeks according to the data we got

I might be confusing you with Munkeh, but don't you want to take a science degree? If you do, you will soon realise the important of error margins.

I'm going for a medicine degree, munkeh is going for physics I believe.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I find all of the arguing over the 50k difference in PS3 and 360 sales quite laughable. The PS3 beat the 360 for the month. Although given how badly the Wii crushed their combined sales, it looks like fanboys arguing over table scraps...

tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
By the way Darth, these error margins mean PS3 fans can claim that the PS3 sold 1M units in a week, two weeks in a row, given a 10% error margin.

vgchartz 10% error margin?

Roughly (which is pretty good).

I agree. I want to know why everyone is saying NPD is a statistical tie when they don't know the margin of error.

NPD doesn't track a high enough percentage of the market to be accurate to within a couple of percent.

Well, it would require about a 2% margin of error to be a statistical tie, but even then, all it means is that the difference between can be covered by the margin. Additionally, this only works in one scenario of comparative data. Statistical tie is misleading because it's comparing two numbers on the same margin. Some percentages may have higher margins of error. For example, the 360 might have an 8% margin of error, and the ps3 might have a 2% margin.

Additionally, that scenario would be only if the 360 was really higher and the ps3 was lower. One could stay still and the other could drop, or go higher, and vice versa.

Around the Network

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The Margins of Error are also estimates, so just take the damn numbers as they are!

Darc Requiem said:
I find all of the arguing over the 50k difference in PS3 and 360 sales quite laughable. The PS3 beat the 360 for the month. Although given how badly the Wii crushed their combined sales, it looks like fanboys arguing over table scraps...

QUOTE OF THE THREAD!!!!!!

The funny thing is... with margin of error the numbers could be actually more like 1.6 million to 2 million... is 400k still a statistical tie? no... but with margin of error 360 could be - and ps3 could be +... fact is their info pointed ps3 selling faster.

theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:
theprof00 said:
tombi123 said:

vgchartz 10% error margin?

Roughly (which is pretty good).

I agree. I want to know why everyone is saying NPD is a statistical tie when they don't know the margin of error.

NPD doesn't track a high enough percentage of the market to be accurate to within a couple of percent.

Well, it would require about a 2% margin of error to be a statistical tie, but even then, all it means is that the difference between can be covered by the margin. Additionally, this only works in one scenario of comparative data. Statistical tie is misleading because it's comparing two numbers on the same margin. Some percentages may have higher margins of error. For example, the 360 might have an 8% margin of error, and the ps3 might have a 2% margin.

Additionally, that scenario would be only if the 360 was really higher and the ps3 was lower. One could stay still and the other could drop, or go higher, and vice versa.

It's still considered a statistical tie... it's more likely the PS3 beat the 360... however it's within the realm of statistical tie... making the numbers more or less even.

Last i've heard quoted on this site was a 5% margin of error for sales tracking in general with the systems.  Which is actually pretty good. 

There margin of error is the same across the board because the adjust for individual sampling errors in their final numbers.