By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Numbers : 10/29 - 11/4

Updated original post with Hardware and extra software. Japan am crazy confirmed.

Around the Network

Somewhere in Spain diomedes is crying on his Sony styled bed.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

it may only be 1 day of sales, but DW6 is one of those games that will be very very front heavy, and probably sell something like 40-50% of sales on the first day. Even if it's just first day, the PS3 hardware sales should be significant.

Problem is besides DW6 there isn't much else this holiday season for PS3. Also DW6 is released on the same day on 360.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

If the higher sales are largely due to the new, cheaper, more reliable system bundle, I expect the 360 to do much better from now on.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I believe its a Chinese proverb, or is it a curse. May you live in interesting times. Microsoft beats Sony on its home turf for a week with a solid release, and a new bundle. Mario falls well below most expectations. The Wii still is not back to its former glory for yet another week. Then finally like the smell of blood in the air no PS3 titles in the top thirty.

Honestly Microsoft is doing everything right in Japan. Not that they have always done so, but they have made a lot of positive steps. Nice to see the market rewarding them for that.

Mario platformers are great games. However the expectations I think were unreasonable. Mario Sunshine has yet to sell more then six million units. Only having sold 870,000 units in Japan lifetime. The attach rate for that game did not exceed fifteen percent. Compared to North America where it reached twenty nine percent.

Technically given the smaller install base on the Wii at the moment in Japan, and the fact that the title is two times more popular in North America. The maximum sales should be around 560,000 lifetime were the Wii to stop selling now. However we all know that you have to account for a tail. So the game has probably generated around forty five percent of its total sales. Thats actually rather impressive considering. The game has even approached a seven percent attachment rate on its first week. Given the success of Sunshine these sales are not shabby at all. They are in line with realism. Just under half of the lifetime sales of its previous incarnation.

Why people expected more is beyond me. All you had to do was research this title. Using wikipedia, and this sites own metrics to have a good idea of sales. This title is doing well for a Mario platformer in Japan. Perhaps not well by North American sales standards, but quite well considering.

The Wii sales are starting to concern me. The console is really losing steam. Which does not mean it is losing, but its slowing down in Japan. This close to the holidays shouldn't some panic be taking hold by this point. I wonder if Japan is falling out of love with the console.

Sony needs to start selling games thats all there is to it. This is not good for developer confidence. Especially if Microsoft can work three titles into the top thirty. Sony is going to be facing some hard questions in the coming weeks. Like why developers should make games for their platform at all. Given the costs, smaller user base, and a domestic attach rate that is this low.

Just my thoughts on the numbers.

Around the Network
erikers said:
Somewhere in Spain diomedes is crying on his Sony styled bed.

lol!

Media Create undertracked PS3! This can't be happening... Everywhere I go people are in love with Sony! 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

OMGsh, WOW!! This is definitely a BIG WIN for MS. Who would have thought? I'm loving this gen's console battles soooo much right now, everything is just so out of whack, nothing can be predicted. People with conservative predictions are missing the mark, and those spouting outrageous numbers are coming right within' the bullseye of what winds up happening. I LOVE IT!!

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

All it took was an actual Japanese IP to come exclusively to the X360.

If a mediocre title like AC6 (which other AC games sell roughly 300k in JP) can do that well for the X360, imagine what would happen if a bigger IP came exclusive.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Definitely there are too many stupid people in this forum .

Well ,I accept the MC sales ,for me they are way more precise that the "about 12K " or whatever that we get supposedly "leaked " from Famitsu .

So yes ,AC6 propelled the 360 past the PS3 in Japan this week .200 units to be more precise .With the PS3 descending 1000 units from last week because no new software and the price drop due to next week .Big deal .

More interesting are the PSP and Wii numbers .Mario Galaxy hasnt even managed to lift the Wii to the 40K mark and the PSP seems definitely established around 60K units weekly ,double the number to prior the release of the Slim version .

Diomedes1976 said:
Definitely there are too many stupid people in this forum .

Well ,I accept the MC sales ,for me they are way more precise that the "about 12K " or whatever that we get supposedly "leaked " from Famitsu .

So yes ,AC6 propelled the 360 past the PS3 in Japan this week .200 units to be more precise .With the PS3 descending 1000 units from last week because no new software and the price drop due to next week .Big deal .

More interesting are the PSP and Wii numbers .Mario Galaxy hasnt even managed to lift the Wii to the 40K mark and the PSP seems definitely established around 60K units weekly ,double the number to prior the release of the Slim version .

See... and that's why you fail at this and no one takes you seriously.  Media Crate numbers are also "about".  They just post exact numbers as predictions based on their tracking.  You trust Famitsu less because they're more upfront about their numbers.