By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First CES 2010 NATAL Video. Definately a 1 of a kind technology.

I am happy that MS is thinking hard about their portfolio of Natal games. Sounds like they really want to provide some unique experiences. Now make my dodgeball game the say the hell to people with small rooms :)

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
I am happy that MS is thinking hard about their portfolio of Natal games. Sounds like they really want to provide some unique experiences. Now make my dodgeball game the say the hell to people with small rooms :)

Excuse me for saying so but where exactly in that CES video did they show, or discuss, anything new about their portfolio of Natal games? Maybe you missed E3 last year, because it was all there.

The only game i know of thats actually been revealed since E3 is the Galaxy Wars mod.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

30fps tracking = major letdown

If you have any experiance with carmera tracking you would known that, unless Microsoft has done something amazing this thing will fail because of 30fps tracking. That is way to slow, and will make everything feel sluggish. It will not work with anything beyond basic mini games.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:

If you have any experiance with carmera tracking you would known that, unless Microsoft has done something amazing this thing will fail because of 30fps tracking. That is way to slow, and will make everything feel sluggish. It will not work with anything beyond basic mini games.

Well, I don't know what that means...but my guess would be that it updates your movements around 30 times per second?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Reasonable said:
Cost remains a concern for me with Natal. To really work as well as currently hyped, I suspect MS is either going to have to accept a loss with every Natal sold or release it above what I suspect the market is really willing to accept - or my idea of the cost of that tech is way off!

Or I guess they could make compromises on components if rumours regarding the removal of the onboard chip are true, but that hasn't been fully confirmed yet that I've seen.

Now, MS have shown they don't mind burning a lot of money to get somewhere, so it's not inconceivable they would accept a loss on Natal to gain a serious foothold with a larger, more casual market than they currently have, but I don't know - they seem so focused on being profitable, etc. with 360 at the moment I just struggle to think they would sell Natal at a big loss.

Too high a price would pretty much guarantee Natal niche peripheral status, and damage it's chances with the larger market greatly.

I'm still worried it's not really the right interface for many games, but until its out that's kind of hard to confirm one way or the other.

Nice video though, MS sure know how to make those slick.

The marketing, if nothing else, should be superb.

Evidently, cost was an issue for M$ as well in them tossing the chip-on-the-camera idea, so I beleive Natal will launch between $79 to $99 with some stock game to display the tech.  The 360 has displayed a strong ability to sell software, especially 3rd party stuff, so I suspect M$ is going to try and achieve a high attach ratio for every Natal sold...maybe on the 3-5 ratio.  I think with sufficient demand for the product, and the associated software, Natal can replicate WiiFit out of the gate. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

This thread reminds me that, if a company released poop on a stick as an add-on, some fanboy for the system of that system with that as an accessory will ramble on and on how awesome it is, and how poop on a stick will taste fantastic to (and clean your floors and be a desert topping).

epic fail at the first asain girl they showed waving her hand around numerous times and still missed the ball and if i recall the ball wasnt moving... second she kicks at nothing (now im assuming that clip was fake as well) third you do know that the limo (w/e his name is) commercial was fake right? nothing against MS but Project Natal in my opinion is going to be a huge dissapointment mainly for being irresponsive. aslo if you think MS will price this under 100$ ill like to buy drugs from you cause youre smoking some lovely weed. just look at there other accessories. thats why i find it funny when people say the 360 is the cheapest SKU in the market again ill like to buy some drugs from you.

KBG29 said:

Yeah right... It tracks you 30 times / second and you say this would not be enough? Can you change the position of your body in less than 0,03 seconds? I don't think so.

Natal will sell 15 million units. Natal will secure 2nd place. The Wii is out of reach.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

heruamon said:
Reasonable said:
Cost remains a concern for me with Natal. To really work as well as currently hyped, I suspect MS is either going to have to accept a loss with every Natal sold or release it above what I suspect the market is really willing to accept - or my idea of the cost of that tech is way off!

Or I guess they could make compromises on components if rumours regarding the removal of the onboard chip are true, but that hasn't been fully confirmed yet that I've seen.

Now, MS have shown they don't mind burning a lot of money to get somewhere, so it's not inconceivable they would accept a loss on Natal to gain a serious foothold with a larger, more casual market than they currently have, but I don't know - they seem so focused on being profitable, etc. with 360 at the moment I just struggle to think they would sell Natal at a big loss.

Too high a price would pretty much guarantee Natal niche peripheral status, and damage it's chances with the larger market greatly.

I'm still worried it's not really the right interface for many games, but until its out that's kind of hard to confirm one way or the other.

Nice video though, MS sure know how to make those slick.

The marketing, if nothing else, should be superb.

Evidently, cost was an issue for M$ as well in them tossing the chip-on-the-camera idea, so I beleive Natal will launch between $79 to $99 with some stock game to display the tech.  The 360 has displayed a strong ability to sell software, especially 3rd party stuff, so I suspect M$ is going to try and achieve a high attach ratio for every Natal sold...maybe on the 3-5 ratio.  I think with sufficient demand for the product, and the associated software, Natal can replicate WiiFit out of the gate. 

If I was MS I would definately go that route myself.  It's more important Natal lanches at a certain price point that whether the total power available for games goes down a little IMHO.  Price point and good games in the mould of Wii Sports and maybe something along Wii Fit lines are what Natal needs initially, not some huge AAA graphical monster.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

lol the invention of the tv remote was so we dont have to move too change what we are watching. natal takes completely skull fucks that idea.