By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First CES 2010 NATAL Video. Definately a 1 of a kind technology.

My two favourite Natal videos is this one for explaining what it is although it will still go over the head of lots of people especially on this forum unfortunately. The other is the Fallon show video for just showing how fun it could be.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Well i like your enthusiasm but #1 was decided a long time ago. The 360 needs a good relaunch with Natal and it should be able to keep 2nd place. But it will come down to how natal works and the software that is available with it

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

It will all be in the software, which has yet to be demonstrated.

Lack of any killer app for Natal may well lead to an underperforming release, which is not to say that with continued support in the future that the add on could legitimately be considered a big success.

In all seriousness, about the best two apps MS could co-release with Natal (even bundle) would be Natal Sports and Natal Fit.

The question will be whether the initial Natal apps will be something that appeals to the mass consumer over the Wii (and Wii Sports and Wii Fit). If not, the 360/Natal bundle won't be any cheaper than the Wii and is very unlikely to steal a lot of sales away from the mass market demographic that are buying the Wii (to include retirees, moms, nuclear families, tween girls, etc.) as it already has established mass market appeal.

It's certainly not going to be the core demographic that buys into Natal as the future of gaming, barring the big MS/Xbox fans who will naturally buy into the MS hype before even having played the games. I'm sure MS has already come to the conclusion that focusing on the core demographic for Natal is not the best road to its success.

Wait until E3 2010 is all I have to say.

Reasonable said:
heruamon said:
Reasonable said:
Cost remains a concern for me with Natal. To really work as well as currently hyped, I suspect MS is either going to have to accept a loss with every Natal sold or release it above what I suspect the market is really willing to accept - or my idea of the cost of that tech is way off!

Or I guess they could make compromises on components if rumours regarding the removal of the onboard chip are true, but that hasn't been fully confirmed yet that I've seen.

Now, MS have shown they don't mind burning a lot of money to get somewhere, so it's not inconceivable they would accept a loss on Natal to gain a serious foothold with a larger, more casual market than they currently have, but I don't know - they seem so focused on being profitable, etc. with 360 at the moment I just struggle to think they would sell Natal at a big loss.

Too high a price would pretty much guarantee Natal niche peripheral status, and damage it's chances with the larger market greatly.

I'm still worried it's not really the right interface for many games, but until its out that's kind of hard to confirm one way or the other.

Nice video though, MS sure know how to make those slick.

The marketing, if nothing else, should be superb.

Evidently, cost was an issue for M$ as well in them tossing the chip-on-the-camera idea, so I beleive Natal will launch between $79 to $99 with some stock game to display the tech.  The 360 has displayed a strong ability to sell software, especially 3rd party stuff, so I suspect M$ is going to try and achieve a high attach ratio for every Natal sold...maybe on the 3-5 ratio.  I think with sufficient demand for the product, and the associated software, Natal can replicate WiiFit out of the gate. 

If I was MS I would definately go that route myself.  It's more important Natal lanches at a certain price point that whether the total power available for games goes down a little IMHO.  Price point and good games in the mould of Wii Sports and maybe something along Wii Fit lines are what Natal needs initially, not some huge AAA graphical monster.

Yeah, so far, natal has been totally pitched as that total family interactive experience, so it's not for the gamer that is normally labeled "Hardcore".  The key point is that the "hardcore" gamer isn't usually a huge spender on software and perihphals, so it's not like M$ is targeting them anyway.  The 360 has a pretty major line-up this year for these "hardcore" gamers, so unless they are a "hater hardcore" the 360 won't feel negative effects. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

almcchesney said:
lol the invention of the tv remote was so we dont have to move too change what we are watching. natal takes completely skull fucks that idea.

Interesting TV remote you have mine is not powered by the mind and manages to get itself totally lost. One of my least favourite games is hunt for the remote. Hopefully misplacing my body will be a lot harder to do. Having said that although it will become  part of the way Natal could be used I think it will be a smaller aspect but when it comes to controlling the Xbox then it will more important.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Natals success will come down to the games developed for it, simple as that, what good is a cup of coffee without coffee beans?

With the right games this could easily be as big (or bigger) than the hype that surrounded the Wii when it launched but at the moment we just don't know!