By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First CES 2010 NATAL Video. Definately a 1 of a kind technology.

selnor said:
KungKras said:
A Guy in the commercial called it "The most succesful computer tech (Or was it vision) ever"

It's not even out yet, and they made the video look like a documentary about how they took over the world or something. This is pure marketing hype and very little substance.

Look past the internet hype. It's the hype created by morning TV shows, evening news general media. Stuff like that is the guage. And Natal has already had more in those fields than any other console or gaming product Ive ever seen.

All right, god knows how many times people have had this argument, but I'm just going to say one thing: At the end of the day, hype could turn into a disaster if there is no strong software to back it up (PS3, 2006-2007). Specifically AAA software will be the deciding factor for Natal's success.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
selnor said:
Munkeh111 said:
So you're still standing by your doubling its sales comments from E3? {that was you wasn't it....}

Yeah I do. I have saw less buz surroundiong 360, PS3 and Wii launches than I have over Natal. By that I dont mean internet or gaming mags. I mean Morning Tv shows, Evening news etc. The hype in the normal media is rediculous for a gaming machine. Never seen that and I have been a gamer since Commodore 64.

I'm sorry man, but I watch a TON of TV and have not seen anything more than a commercial for natal. Are you sure you aren't searching for news about it? Seek and you shall find...that sort of thing? Everyone hopes Natal succeeds and spurs innovation and new experiences that enhance the industry, but you are hyping it way too much. Take a step back into reality and into subjective viewing and you will realize what it COULD be and what it will ACTUALLY be are quite different.

Also, what was the point of the video? It showed nothing new from my understanding.

Do you live in the same country as me? I haven't seen any hype from the mainstream media.

Seriously, 360 number 1 this gen? You are living in a dream world.

dsgrue3 said:
selnor said:
Munkeh111 said:
So you're still standing by your doubling its sales comments from E3? {that was you wasn't it....}

Yeah I do. I have saw less buz surroundiong 360, PS3 and Wii launches than I have over Natal. By that I dont mean internet or gaming mags. I mean Morning Tv shows, Evening news etc. The hype in the normal media is rediculous for a gaming machine. Never seen that and I have been a gamer since Commodore 64.

I'm sorry man, but I watch a TON of TV and have not seen anything more than a commercial for natal. Are you sure you aren't searching for news about it? Seek and you shall find...that sort of thing? Everyone hopes Natal succeeds and spurs innovation and new experiences that enhance the industry, but you are hyping it way too much. Take a step back into reality and into subjective viewing and you will realize what it COULD be and what it will ACTUALLY be are quite different.

Also, what was the point of the video? It showed nothing new from my understanding.

In the UK Natal has appeared on the following. GMTV, This Morning, 6'oclock news 2 days running. The Gadget Show. And even Loose Women.

Also the video explained the technology. Making Wikipedia look a bit silly. The point was to show that nothing at all on the market is even close to what it can do. Listen to what is said. All other products use guess work to position a players body, or a remote as a placement marker. Natal can position a players body exactly by calculating Trillions of points on the body everyframe, 30 times a second. and then the software enables Natal to see what angle your joints are at.

Talk about Over-hype

Around the Network

I fail to see any other thing than a promo video with old clips... and, developers talking wonders about it... Like they would do the opposite -_-

When is CES opening? I wanna see the real stuff, and the real games for it...

kowenicki said:
@selnor

I live in the UK... never seen it on TV once... mind you.. I dont watch any of those programs except Gadget show now and then.

This morning? loose women? and GMTV?... get a job man!!!!

LOL. I only saw the GMTV one. The others my wife told me about. It was the week of E3 last year. You must of seen the 6'oclock news specials?

selnor said:
kowenicki said:
@selnor

I live in the UK... never seen it on TV once... mind you.. I dont watch any of those programs except Gadget show now and then.

This morning? loose women? and GMTV?... get a job man!!!!

LOL. I only saw the GMTV one. The others my wife told me about. It was the week of E3 last year. You must of seen the 6'oclock news specials?

HUH? They've done news specials on Natal? lol

selnor said:
dsgrue3 said:
selnor said:
Munkeh111 said:

In the UK Natal has appeared on the following. GMTV, This Morning, 6'oclock news 2 days running. The Gadget Show. And even Loose Women.

Also the video explained the technology. Making Wikipedia look a bit silly. The point was to show that nothing at all on the market is even close to what it can do. Listen to what is said. All other products use guess work to position a players body, or a remote as a placement marker. Natal can position a players body exactly by calculating Trillions of points on the body everyframe, 30 times a second. and then the software enables Natal to see what angle your joints are at.

Trillions of body configurations not points. The power of multipliers.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

If Project Natal has a "Killer App" than it might do well.

But remember, for a peripheral of this magnitude, top-end (Wii Balance Board) sales are still less than 40% of the total console base -- For the 360 that means less than 14M right now.

So while there might be hype -- history shows that it might not be as breakout of sales as is being thought by some.

Microsoft is capable of not succeeding (Windows ME, Bob, Table PC, etc.). Any company ism (see Nintendo Vboy or Sony Discman).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV