By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NATAL Changing the WorldatCES 2010!!!

Sure, "some" people will. Just not very many, as these things go. Natal wont break 300k unit sales next year, unless MS starts packing them with every xbox which they may in fact still do.

You left out a zero from your prediction.

Around the Network
ramses01 said:
vlad321 said:
Natal is an amazing concept for an interface to PCs. I am very excited about it, maybe even hook it up to a TV instead of a remote control. Definitely getting one once all the bugs are stamped out/

As a video gaming controller it is shit and worthless for any genre that I can think of other than ones I can get on the Wii anyhow. Just look at how laughably pathetic the Half-Life 2 video leak was.

I just don't get this nonsensical meme that the half-life video was bad.  If you weren't blown away by how awesome that video was then you either are seriously anti-MS or lack the cognitive ability to extrapolate the impact of the demonstration.

I think you like eyes if you didn't realize that the video was extremely pathetic. Between the input lag, the fact he could barely move and look around at the same time, and the fact that he had trouble in a situation where he didn't even have to do pixel precise combat, I would rate the video as an epic failure. There was utterly 0 potential there.

Also I don't think you realize how happy I am for Natal being used for something other than a bad controller. I'd love to use it to control the media on my PC. Also to manage any of the TV functions that are painful to do. Have you tied to search youtube using a TV remote?!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Natal is an amazing concept for an interface to PCs. I am very excited about it, maybe even hook it up to a TV instead of a remote control. Definitely getting one once all the bugs are stamped out/

As a video gaming controller it is shit and worthless for any genre that I can think of other than ones I can get on the Wii anyhow. Just look at how laughably pathetic the Half-Life 2 video leak was.

Really?! If that Half Life 2 video leak with Natal was legit, i think it's awesome, some real "Minority Report" stuff there, looked cool to me.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

I have written about several game types that Natal would be perfect for. I agree that it does not fit well for an FPS, but that is just one genre. And a genre that was not developed with Natal in mind. Perhaps your vision is limited, or perhaps you are just bitter that pc gaming as you once knew it is dead.

AlkamistStar said:
vlad321 said:

Really?! If that Half Life 2 video leak with Natal was legit, i think it's awesome, some real "Minority Report" stuff there, looked cool to me.

What you saw in Minority report was Video Editing, not video gaming, which is exactly why I want a Natal to be hooked up to my PC. Also it'll be nice to control my OS overall. I'll stick with KBM+Mouse fo games though.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
I have written about several game types that Natal would be perfect for. I agree that it does not fit well for an FPS, but that is just one genre. And a genre that was not developed with Natal in mind. Perhaps your vision is limited, or perhaps you are just bitter that pc gaming as you once knew it is dead.

I agree that Natal needs its ow genres that are developed for it. Currently there is no genre developed for Natal. The best that I can think of for natal would be some sports akin to Dodgeball. The biggest advatage of Natal is movement detection. The problem is you can;t move a whole lot in a living room, so its biggest dvantage is ruined by its purpose. The best you can do is have interpretive motions (for games that require moving a lot, don't get me wrong Natal would be AWESOME for Rail Shooters and stuff), but then that begs the question, what the hell is the difference between a game interpreting a motion and interpreting a key press? To me the answer is obvious.

vlad321 said:

I think you like eyes if you didn't realize that the video was extremely pathetic. Between the input lag, the fact he could barely move and look around at the same time, and the fact that he had trouble in a situation where he didn't even have to do pixel precise combat, I would rate the video as an epic failure. There was utterly 0 potential there.

Also I don't think you realize how happy I am for Natal being used for something other than a bad controller. I'd love to use it to control the media on my PC. Also to manage any of the TV functions that are painful to do. Have you tied to search youtube using a TV remote?!

We must have watched completely different videos then.  The only issue that I saw was the difficulty interacting with the buttons.  that very well may have resulted from a lack of on screen indicator.  As for lag, what are you talking about.   I know several people have mentioned it, but I didn't see any lag that could attributable to NATAL.

To me the video demonstrated that a FPS using NATAL is easily doable.  The control mechanisms are there.  Of course RPGs and stragety games are the two most promising core genres for NATAL.

Xelloss said:
Fumanchu said:
I'm fine with the discussion just not some arrogant, condescending, antagonising pseudo-clairvoyant trying to preach their negative view for something that has no interest to them whatsoever. Do you get a kick out of provoking people or are you just one of those prententious people that makes those 'see, I was right you were wrong' threads?

Oh? Go read my first post in this thread again, I did not think it was particularly provacative when I wrote it. I more or less said I thought it would not be able to steal Wii's audience and that it would be some time before it really became a game changer or huge like some people were saying. Forgive me for thinking someone might have an insightful counter argument that would provoke non-gutter discussion.

And I do have an interest in Natal, match it with some 3d goggles and a lightsaber and I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I just dont think thats going to happen for a long long time.

The problem is you spouted off like you were declaring fact as if you had insider information, but you're just another detractor with no imagination, using a selective perspective because you simply hate the idea of it.  Are you really waiting for someone to retort to your 'declaration' and counter with possible gaming scenario's that could provide a unique, fun experience or have you really already made your mind up and there's nothing anyone can say to convince you otherwise? 

I would say that you're right - this is obviously not for you, but you need to recognise that you're the minority demographic that this appeals to and it will be the 'so you wanna dance', 'jane fonda workout', 'learn karate by mimicking these moves' types of games that will likely bring in the bulk of a new audience.  I think you're just valuing your own personal opinion too much, if you can't see past people other than yourself enjoying this. 

ramses01 said:
vlad321 said:

We must have watched completely different videos then.  The only issue that I saw was the difficulty interacting with the buttons.  that very well may have resulted from a lack of on screen indicator.  As for lag, what are you talking about.   I know several people have mentioned it, but I didn't see any lag that could attributable to NATAL.

To me the video demonstrated that a FPS using NATAL is easily doable.  The control mechanisms are there.  Of course RPGs and stragety games are the two most promising core genres for NATAL.

I hate to jump into an argument that is already well under way, but I think you're missing Vlad's point.  I don't think this tech will be able to pull off a FPS very efficiently.  Take, for example, one of the most common movements in FPS: Strafe, crouch, aim and shoot all at the same time.  How are you going to efficiently achieve that movement, and maintain aim, without a hand-held controller used in tandem with Natal?  The most obvious way would be for you to physically crouch, somehow move, and shoot while maintaining good physical aim at the screen.  This would be quite difficult, imo. On rails shooters would probably work well though.

Like Vlad, I think the biggest strengths for this system lie outside of gaming.  Imagine being able to manipulate more than one thing at a time on yor computer screen.  Thats the biggest problem with the mouse, it only has one point of "contact" with what you see on screen.  Huge applications there. And sports games =P

Natal is just an accessory for those two stupid to use a keyboard and mouse. It's been the plan of Microsoft for ages. (Mostly for military applications)

Anyway, this is the death of gaming and technology I suppose. Changing the world? This thing is absolutely nothing special and it's a shame. As a hardware engineer I find it insulting, I guess money can even make shit smell like roses.