By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NATAL Changing the WorldatCES 2010!!!

@Xelloss,

So your saying the market for the Wii has dried up so MS is only trying to sell the Natal to people that already own a Wii. MS is not going after the people that already purchase a Wii.

They will now be offering a console that does what the Wii does and much more. Some people that havent picked up a Wii yet, but are interested may just change and pick up a 360 with Natal.

If the mainstream media declares the Natal as hot stuff next holiday sales of the Natal will be huge even with people that havent picked up an Xbox 360 yet or maybe wouldnt have.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
libellule said:
The guy is not hyping Natal ... he praising this type of technology and guess what ? he is working on it !

Eye Toy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Natal until it is released ....

Hmmm.  I think I see how this works.

Forza III >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GT5 until it is released . . . .

Ninja Blade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GoWIII until it is released . . . .

Born Baby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> In utero Baby until it is released . . . .

OT: Project Natal is not simply a gaming initiative.  Therefore its not simply a 360 vs Wii or 360 vs. PS3 dichotomy.  It's not that simplistic.  MS as a company has big plans for this tech, as they have stated, that is not limited to gaming.  Of the three motion tech initiatives, these are what makes Project Natal so intriguing.

I personally think MICROSOFT will release a controller with NATAL as an accessory to purchase seperately. It wouldn't be complicated at all to sell people a controller as well.

They might release that stuff that reads muscle movement as the Natal controller :)

thx1139 said:
@Xelloss,

So your saying the market for the Wii has dried up so MS is only trying to sell the Natal to people that already own a Wii. MS is not going after the people that already purchase a Wii.

They will now be offering a console that does what the Wii does and much more. Some people that havent picked up a Wii yet, but are interested may just change and pick up a 360 with Natal.

If the mainstream media declares the Natal as hot stuff next holiday sales of the Natal will be huge even with people that havent picked up an Xbox 360 yet or maybe wouldnt have.

Sure, "some" people will. Just not very many, as these things go. Natal wont break 300k unit sales next year, unless MS starts packing them with every xbox which they may in fact still do.

The question is what type of game do you really want to play with something like this. The next question is what type of game do you want to play on something like this that hasnt already been done very well on the Wii. Wii already has Wii fit.....

Next thing to consider, is that when you think about it... an actual remote is also much faster and easier to use than Natal for general purpose stuff. The idea of not having to find your remote is a good one, but even most people who get a Natal will liekly end up using their remote most of the time, simply because its a lot quicker to navigate your menu just using your thumb than it is to wave your whole arm around.

Natal tech will pay off in the long run, but I would really like to see someone come up with one attraction outside of novelty to the device in its current iteration. MS and Sony are both doing the "me too" right now, noone has any idea how to utilize it for an FPS or RPG etc that people would really want to get into yet.

Around the Network

I just love the degree of certainty that the users with nothing but a PS3 badge to their name spout off about Natal's imminent demise, and how the casual market has already been taken and blah blah blah...where did the 1.8million people come from that bought a Wii last week?

Go buy a clue.

Fumanchu said:
I just love the degree of certainty that the users with nothing but a PS3 badge to their name spout off about Natal's imminent demise, and how the casual market has already been taken and blah blah blah...where did the 1.8million people come from that bought a Wii last week?

Go buy a clue.

Lol @ you ? Ignoring the badge comment, which is not even meriting a reply - you basically made a key point of my argument for me.

To succeed in that market, you will have to argue that MS will be able to out Nintendo, Nintendo. A few diehard MS supporters thus far are the only folk who forsee that happening. Going after Nintendo's market could be reasonably argued to be as difficult as going after Apples market.

For the record, I do not think Sony's wand will do any better. This is not an issue of MS vs Sony fanboyism.

In all seriousness, for those of you who think NATAL is the next coming of the Wii... what type of game do you think will be compelling on the platform, and why do you think it will be compelling enough to prompt folks to abandon the super popular Wii, and flock to buy a more expensive Xbox and NATAL ? Is there one person out there with a reasoned insight, who can argue in favor of NATAL immediate success without resorting to silly statements about badges or somesuch?

Go buy a clue. Wow thats brilliant. I can't tell if your 6 years old or some burnt out comedian from the 80's.

As far as I can tell, anybody who has a stake in this tech is going out of their way to say how amazing it is.

On the other hand, when a nonpartisan actually uses Natal the reaction is quite different.

How about you stop prentending you like you have any semblence of the future with your quick dismissal and acknowledge the fact that you don't know whether it will be a success or not?

Natal could very well end up a failure but not because of some over-saturated, exhausted casual market that it expands upon.

Fumanchu said:
How about you stop prentending you like you have any semblence of the future with your quick dismissal and acknowledge the fact that you don't know whether it will be a success or not?

Natal could very well end up a failure but not because of some over-saturated, exhausted casual market that it expands upon.

Last I checked, discussion of future trends and sales was a top pasttime on these boards....

So I take this as, " you got nothing? " ( as in nothing concrete to add to the discussion, aside from the obvious fact that it is within the realm of possibility that I might be wrong? )