By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - NATAL Changing the WorldatCES 2010!!!

vlad321 said:
Natal is an amazing concept for an interface to PCs. I am very excited about it, maybe even hook it up to a TV instead of a remote control. Definitely getting one once all the bugs are stamped out/

As a video gaming controller it is shit and worthless for any genre that I can think of other than ones I can get on the Wii anyhow. Just look at how laughably pathetic the Half-Life 2 video leak was.

So basically what you are saying is that you are going to spend $50-$100 for a mouse? And how does it being on consoles affect your enjoyment of it?

Around the Network
dsister44 said:
vlad321 said:
Natal is an amazing concept for an interface to PCs. I am very excited about it, maybe even hook it up to a TV instead of a remote control. Definitely getting one once all the bugs are stamped out/

As a video gaming controller it is shit and worthless for any genre that I can think of other than ones I can get on the Wii anyhow. Just look at how laughably pathetic the Half-Life 2 video leak was.

So basically what you are saying is that you are going to spend $50-$100 for a mouse? And how does it being on consoles affect your enjoyment of it?

well, it will be used as a way to push game design backwards and focus on over charging us for tech that is many years old (natal) and spending hundreds of millions of $ to media and organizations to act like its worth it to rip off poor unsuspecting parents and old folks. That is MS's plan.

It has uses on the PC, because some people with disabilities can use it to navigate and it dumbs down the input so that even those with mental disabilities may be able to operate a PC with it. For the XBOX it does nothing but gimmick. That's it.

jarypo_87 said:
dsister44 said:
vlad321 said:

well, it will be used as a way to push game design backwards and focus on over charging us for tech that is many years old (natal) and spending hundreds of millions of $ to media and organizations to act like its worth it to rip off poor unsuspecting parents and old folks. That is MS's plan.

It has uses on the PC, because some people with disabilities can use it to navigate and it dumbs down the input so that even those with mental disabilities may be able to operate a PC with it. For the XBOX it does nothing but gimmick. That's it.

Vlad has been saying how he wants to buy it. He also says he in't going to use it for games. So I'm not sure what that^ had to do with me

As a user of a multitouch + gesture laptop/tablet, I disagree that it is useless. Keyboard and mouse is arguably a terribly unintuitive input method. As to whether it will translate to a decent gaming input, I would say developers will figure out a way to make it work when most of the world moves away from mouse/keyboard.

I would like to see how Natal does multiplayer recognition (it can pick up multiple bodies, but there's no recognition between them), and also how it handles situations where buttons are required for actions (firing triggers and such). Camera recognition technology isn't exactly something new, as PS2 and DSi already have it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

^^What do you mean there is no recognition between them?

Wow lots of damage control here.

Can't wait for Natal

scat398 said:

the new tablet computers coming out should be far more successful than there previous models of 5-6 years ago.

Funny thing is that we heard the very same words with every new spin-off of tablet computing, and each time they turned out to be a total crap. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really pissed-of by TabletPCs and whatsoever because I've buried so many bucks into this stupid tech.

MDMAniac said:
scat398 said:

the new tablet computers coming out should be far more successful than there previous models of 5-6 years ago.

Funny thing is that we heard the very same words with every new spin-off of tablet computing, and each time they turned out to be a total crap. Sorry for the rant, I'm just really pissed-of by TabletPCs and whatsoever because I've buried so many bucks into this stupid tech.

It's ok I don't mind the mini rant, I was right there with you on the old tablet PC's.  I think technology has advanced enough now that this next group will be more well recieved.  I think apple will probably lead the way and PC's will work off that model of success to bring lower costs ones to the mainstream market.

Although with that being said I won't be a first adopter this time I'll let someone else test drive them for me.

Everyone keep saying this is the Wii's market, but I can't seem to find the 3D senor cam on the Wii anywhere