By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A lot of Kotaku members think VGChartz is bogus

I laugh at the "How can you take them seriously when they have a Z in their name?!" comments.

Firstly, it's shallow to judge anything based on its name. Snobbish arrogance breeds one of the most detestable types of ignorance.

Second, they must be new to the internet if they think that any old web site can use whatever domain name they want. When ioi went looking for alternatives, he obviously found that the guy who registered vgcharts.com also reserved four other variations of that domain. There are a lot of compromises he might have made, such as including a hyphen or increasing the length of the domain. He opted to change one letter. Welcome to the internet, newbies.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

everyone outside of vgchartz thinks vgchartz is bogus.

Games are no longer entertainment, but art?

Sorry, but that's just stupid as hell.

MontanaHatchet said:

OKAMI IS ART!!

edit:  Wait...Isn't Art also a form of entertainment?

I could go into a long winded speech of the industry and games being art, but it's just not worth it.

Games CAN be art, but the general public doesn't want it, and the industry won't bother with it.

Around the Network

Katamari is art. Tetris is art. Super Mario Bros. 3 is art. Final Fantasy 6 is art.

There were times when both comics and film were thought of as cheap entertainment with no artistic merit. Meh!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

MontanaHatchet said:

All art is entertainment, and yes, all entertainment is art, even it hurts that to say to really bad examples. Many things are very badly done art, but it's art anyways.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Vgchartz does seem to have a bad reputation amongst some posters on some sites. This was posted in a GT forum only an hour ago:

With this written beneath it: "I guess now that ndp wont release their numbers, vg idiots will guesstamate even more."

Edit: Oh wait lol, the posters name was 1Huss hahaha!!!!!!

At this early stage for Vgchartz, almost any publicity is good publicity.

People arguing about Vgchartz on sites like Kotaku and NeoGAF will only increase the number of people who come over here to see what all the fuss is about, and many of them will stay (especially if there are no more NPD numbers).

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

“Ridicule is the tribute paid to the genius by the mediocrities.”-Oscar Wilde

“Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us.”-Thomas Jefferson

“Society is a republic. When an individual tries to lift themselves above others, they are dragged down by the mass, either by ridicule or slander.”-Victor Hugo

“Ridicule is the first and last argument of a fool”-Charles Simmons

“Every great movement must experience three stages: ridicule, discussion, adoption”-John Stuart Mill 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)