By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am amazed how much the Wii gets ignored in the console wars.

Khuutra said:
dharh said:
Raze said:

You do realize that the HD gamers will "bow to the Wii" when they pick up Natal or PS3 Gem? Basically, thats MS and Sony's way of conceeding defeat to Nintendo's concept of controls. Just sayin

No, we won't. First of all, it's not Nintendo's concept, unless by concept you mean mainstream non-precise wand based motion control. Second, motion controls predate the Wii, in fact both SONY and Nintendo had previous motion controls. Third, both SONY and MS version of motion controls are basically non-mainstream, meaning they will most likely still not be competition for the Wii. Fourth, and this is my sincere hope, both HD-twins versions of motion controls will not be the primary way to control games. The dualshock 3/4 and the X360/720 controller will still be the primary way to play games, as it should be.

If by chance all games end up with motion control a sizable chunk of the market will walk away. I can guarantee it. 

Would you care to make a bet concerning any of this? Particularly the idea that Natal isn't trying to appeal to the mainstream.

Hmm. If by bet we just put a message in our sig sure. I don't do wagers.

As for Natal, I think we need more details than what I've seen. Natal _could_ be a very intuitive way to control the X360 in a number of different ways that have nothing to do with gaming. Like saying 'Turn on/off', 'Play Music', 'Pause', 'Start Game', etc. Notice how all that is voice btw. Gesture based controls are not used for anything but the most simplest and short list of commands for a reason, its much easier to remember visual/audio interfaces. Using your hand as a 'wand' to select stuff will not come into its own until 3D interfaces become a reality where you can 'grab' and 'touch'.

Gaming with Natal on the other hand I think will not be appealing. Everything i've seen thus far suggests that to be the case. Air kicking a soccer ball, playing air tennis, air guitar, playing an FPS with your finger as the gun!, etc are all very suspect concepts. I think even the mainstream is still going to want to have some form of tactile controller for most games. And forcing game studios to come out with 101 different controllers that can interact with Natal is also not going to be a good move, and expensive to boot. Not to mention genres where even the Wii does not add anything at all (RPGs, FPS).

Is Natal going to appeal to the mainstream? Depends on what aspect of it you look at. For gaming, I think a big fat NO. For everything else, a resounding YES.

What bet do you want to do?

1) Final Fantasy XIII (English edition, already have JP)
2) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
3) White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Nick said:
RageBot said:
Nick said:
RageBot said:
Nick said:
RageBot said:
Pepole ignore the Wii since most pepole who care about gaming, who likes to discuss gaming, pepole who sees it as a real hobby (and not just pepole who sees it as "simple fun", though that includes pepole who only play CoD and the kind) just don't find the Wii's library attractive to their tastes.

That's a pretty general stereotype.  Considering I (and a lot of Wii owners) have been playing video games since before you were born, I'd say there are plenty of gamers on the Wii that see gaming as a real hobby.  The Wii's library has a lot of great games in it, perhaps just not for teenagers. 

Oh, so you aren't stereotyping? Read my messege again, all of those teenagers you talk about? I file them under the exact same group us those who only buy the Wii for "casual games".
Oh, and if there are plenty who see it as a real hobby.... WHERE ARE THEM? Vgchartz is the only forum I know where there is a high majority of Nintendo fans (Which makes sense from your prerspective, since the averge age in this site is like...25+?)
And don't try to fool yourself that they see it as a real hobby, yet don't go on forums, pepole with hobbies discuss them with other pepole.

You might not be aware of this, but most people my age ~ 30 don't travel message boards, not that that is or ever will be a litums for a hobby.  Not many people want to venture onto a forum and be made to feel inferior simply because they enjoy the Wii's offerings.   

That doesn't mean that they can't see gaming as a real hobby or that they don't exist.  Sure there are people that buy the Wii for Wii Sports and other similar games and only play at gatherings.  You seem to be making the false assumption that this is all Wii owners, and that "real gamers" don't like the Wii.  This gen has had a lot of people, mostly 15-20, telling me and others in my situation that suddenly we're not "real gamers" because we enjoy the Wii's offerings. 

I started playing games 6 years before you were born, you are not in the position to make the decision that I (or a lot of Wii owners like me) don't care about games or view them as a hobby. 

So why are there so many pepole above 30 on Prog Music message boards? Or miniature building message boards? These pepole shouldn't be on the internet! SO WHY ARE THEY DISCUSSING OTHER HOBBIES, AND NOT GAMING?

And anyway, the fact that I wasn't born back than, does not mean I can't see reality for what it is now, stop feeling superior because you were born earlier than me :)

And also - pepole can enjoy gaming, but unless they care about it, they just don't really see it as a hobby, for example, I like movies, I love going to cinemas with my friends, but if the movie industry will somehow disappear, i'll just say "meh" and carry on.

Oh, one more thing - What was your favorite console from the last to gens, and why? (Console, not handheld)

Progessive music and miniature building message boards aren't full of young, narcissistic, and generally immature posters.  It's the only reason I come to this site and not to gaf, ign, gamespot or the likes.  The posters here, young and old, have a lot more maturity than those sites.  I'm sure you'll find out in about 10 years that you don't enjoy being around mostly teenagers, as you likely don't want to hang out with 10 year olds now. 

I in no way feel superior to you.  I do feel that you don't get to decide who real gamers are.  And as far as seeing reality for what it is now... do you hang out with 30 year olds?  The only reality you have to see is what you surround yourself with.  Do you have anything to base your realities on, other than the viewpoints of the other people your age that you likely hang out with exclusively?

A hobby is quite literally something you do in your free time for enjoyment or maybe relaxation.  If you like movies and enjoy going to the theater with your friends then that is a hobby. 

My favorite consoles from the last 2 gen's in order:

PS2>GC>Xbox>Dreamcast

N64=PS1>Saturn

Why?  PS2 had such a wealth of games that anyone could find something they liked.  A lot of casual and shovelware that people like to forget about now along with a ton of great strategy and rpg (which is what won me over).  Next is GC because I like most of Nintendo's first party offerings and a few of the 3rd party's.  Xbox didn't have much that really appealed to me, and I never had a Dreamcast so I can't really say on that one.  64 and PS1 are equal to me because I spent about the same time with each for different genres. 

This gen I've enjoyed the Wii the most simply because of Nintendo's first party offerings and the amount of fun I've had playing with friends.  Then the 360, because of the rpg's that it got at the beginning of the gen.  Last would be the PS3, because it shares a lot of the same library with the 360 and until recently only had a few exclusives that really shined.  Although, at this point in time time the PS3 has really come into it's own, but for me the 360 has up till now gotten more playtime from me.

Well than, it seems like we both define "hobby" differently :P

Anyway, we really are arguing about opinions, I don't think that there are any clear-cut facts that show what is really the precentage of oldschool gamers on the Wii, so we really are just talking in the wind.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

well maybe because its not really a "war" with wii . wii sales kill everything else, theres no competition, they have completly different games, even the ones like madden and call of duty are completly different fundementaly, different consumers, and different prices(their games cost less). where as the hd consoles compete for the same consumers same graphics and same features, i mean the wii cant even play dvd's for christ sake. but if wii is your favorite console and want it involved in the console "wars", just keep in mind that it will dominate sales for the rest of the generation and that any attempt of war would require sony and microsoft combining to take on wii lol.(hd vs wii)

"even a dead god still dreams"

dharh said:

Hmm. If by bet we just put a message in our sig sure. I don't do wagers.

As for Natal, I think we need more details than what I've seen. Natal _could_ be a very intuitive way to control the X360 in a number of different ways that have nothing to do with gaming. Like saying 'Turn on/off', 'Play Music', 'Pause', 'Start Game', etc. Notice how all that is voice btw. Gesture based controls are not used for anything but the most simplest and short list of commands for a reason, its much easier to remember visual/audio interfaces. Using your hand as a 'wand' to select stuff will not come into its own until 3D interfaces become a reality where you can 'grab' and 'touch'.

Gaming with Natal on the other hand I think will not be appealing. Everything i've seen thus far suggests that to be the case. Air kicking a soccer ball, playing air tennis, air guitar, playing an FPS with your finger as the gun!, etc are all very suspect concepts. I think even the mainstream is still going to want to have some form of tactile controller for most games. And forcing game studios to come out with 101 different controllers that can interact with Natal is also not going to be a good move, and expensive to boot. Not to mention genres where even the Wii does not add anything at all (RPGs, FPS).

Is Natal going to appeal to the mainstream? Depends on what aspect of it you look at. For gaming, I think a big fat NO. For everything else, a resounding YES.

What bet do you want to do?

1) Final Fantasy XIII (English edition, already have JP)
2) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
3) White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Ah, nevermind. I wanted a wager.

iLLmaticV3 said:
Its not fun discussing a console that's so far ahead of the other two, its practically there sales combined. The race for second is far more entertaining since the gap is so small.

That just means you stop talking about the Wii sales, not the Wii entirely. So that's not an answer to the OP.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Disruptive innovations disrupt industries. Incumbents either ignore or move up market when disruptive innovations are first introduced. Eventually, when the innovations meet the mainstream customer's needs, then the entrants take over and incumbents crumble

http://www.bluerockinnovation.com/types-disruptive.htm

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

demonfox13 said:

I guess Demon's Souls is no good.....oh wait, it's too hard for the casual market hehe nvm.

You want a hard game? Go play Metroid Prime 2.

I could play your HD games with my eyes closed because of that crap regenerating health.

iLLmaticV3 said:
Its not fun discussing a console that's so far ahead of the other two, its practically there sales combined. The race for second is far more entertaining since the gap is so small.

And how exactly does one even get gloating rights out of this?  I don't see it at all.

You get so easily banned if you bring Wii to console wars...Do we even have such console wars?Hmm.

Take my love, take my land..

Perhaps I should read more than just the thread title. Anyway, ZACK AND WIKI is AWESOME!!! Why did I wait so long?