By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am amazed how much the Wii gets ignored in the console wars.

Kenology said:
@ richardhutnik:

When you make threads like this - all the trolls come out from under their bridges. Be mindful next time!

Be thankful I didn't go with my original idea for the subject being: "Why do Playstation and XBox fanboys ignore the Wii in the console wars?" which was based on my discussions I had in a Gamestop with a tween boy who was a diehard Playstation fan (to the extent he didn't believe the XBox had anything superior to it) and my taking the XBox side.  I brought up the Wii and out came all the discussion points I raised.  I decide rather than focus on just this, to make it more general, and bring up other things I ran into.  I also felt it worked better as a general discussion topic on the Wii not being seen as part of this generation.

In regards to console wars (fanboys being the foot soldiers), I can't recall ever see such excitement over the desire to come in second (phrased as beating the other console).  If anyone can point to this, let me know.  And the console wars are more than sales also.  They talk about hyping up games to.  I also saw bad cases where Playstation fanboy has the PS2 attack the 360, bringing up God of War as a taunt.

Around the Network
Masakari said:

Like some of you elaborated, there's a variety of reasons for the shunning of the Wii, from the ridiculous, to the relevant.

For me, it's because it has last-gen graphics, and very few games that interest me - all the wii sports, resort, party babiez, whatever, is pointless - as in, I have zero interest in that stuff. I grew up, thus I couldn't care less about Mario, specially if it's a kart game, sports game, washing-your-teeth-with-Mario game, i've always found Zelda completely overrated, and the third parties, for the most part, are crap on the Wii.

That leaves Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes and Madworld as the only Wii games that interest me. One of those is coming to 360/PS3 with much better graphics (NMH) now, and i'm not gonna buy a console for just 2 games.

THANK YOU! Finally someone says what I have been thinking for a while. Zelda has been as overrated as KZ1 was supposed to be the "Halo killer". Because they are blinded by the name Zelda back in the NES there were other gems far superior to the Zelda series at the time. For example The Magic of Scheherazade, some of you "true" nintendo fans should try it sometimes. A game that mixed time travel, action/adventure rpg with turn based at times. Fairly extensive story, 3 classes to choose from (pretty good music for a midi era game) and many characters you meet along the way that assist you. Not to mention a very good story. Fast forward, the Zelda title that did it for me and ONE OF the greatest games made was Ocarina of Time (played it again on emulator recently and it has aged well). After that Majora's Mask was a good attempt and then it just continued to get worse and worse, just like the FF series.

To the other guy that mentioned Fire Emblem.....ROFL, played it, beat it. Yes it's "harder" than VC, but nothing OMG. Nice attempt at  a comeback, now go and play Demon's Souls. Hope you don't break the control though rofl.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

theprof00 said:
It's just like the shebang about the reviewers giving wii games bad scores.
For a lot of the people who've been gaming the past 10 years or so, the games just don't seem to be on par.

Sure the games are still good, but if you want the opinions of people who are starting on the wii and don't have the last 10-15 years of gaming to corrupt their bias, you're going to have to wait until someone cares enough to publish them.

I've said it before, it's a paradox. The casuals aren't interested in writing video game reviews. (I mean this in every good way possible, it's not a dig, just being clear) That's the problem.

Just to clear this up, early in the Wii's life Nintendo released figures that less than 10% of Wii owners had not had a 6th gen console (I don't think there was any further break down than that, but it means it was probably more like 5% were totally new gamers.

I believe mid-2009 they released an update to say it was now 20% had not owned a 5th gen console... after this amount of time I doubt that those who perhaps skipped 6th gen or were PC/handheld only still makes up half of those remaining, but they will still take up a chunk... as such the percent of Wii owners who are totally new to gaming now (after this huge Christmas) will be somewhere between 15 and 20%

demonfox13 said:

To the other guy that mentioned Fire Emblem.....ROFL, played it, beat it. Yes it's "harder" than VC, but nothing OMG. Nice attempt at  a comeback, now go and play Demon's Souls. Hope you don't break the control though rofl.

Go play F-Zero GX, beat all of story mode on "very hard" and unlock the master class and AX cup ROFL OMG ROFL LOL

To give you an idea, this is the common response to F-Zero GX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

I agree, though, I hate Zelda, too. I loved Link the Past and everything before it, but everything from Ocarina on I can't stand.

Nick said:
RageBot said:
Pepole ignore the Wii since most pepole who care about gaming, who likes to discuss gaming, pepole who sees it as a real hobby (and not just pepole who sees it as "simple fun", though that includes pepole who only play CoD and the kind) just don't find the Wii's library attractive to their tastes.

That's a pretty general stereotype.  Considering I (and a lot of Wii owners) have been playing video games since before you were born, I'd say there are plenty of gamers on the Wii that see gaming as a real hobby.  The Wii's library has a lot of great games in it, perhaps just not for teenagers. 

Oh, so you aren't stereotyping? Read my messege again, all of those teenagers you talk about? I file them under the exact same group us those who only buy the Wii for "casual games".
Oh, and if there are plenty who see it as a real hobby.... WHERE ARE THEM? Vgchartz is the only forum I know where there is a high majority of Nintendo fans (Which makes sense from your prerspective, since the averge age in this site is like...25+?)
And don't try to fool yourself that they see it as a real hobby, yet don't go on forums, pepole with hobbies discuss them with other pepole.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:
demonfox13 said:

Go play F-Zero GX, beat all of story mode on "very hard" and unlock the master class and AX cup ROFL OMG ROFL LOL

To give you an idea, this is the common response to F-Zero GX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZLwM3nyY5g

I agree, though, I hate Zelda, too. I loved Link the Past and everything before it, but everything from Ocarina on I can't stand.

Yeah. Hell, i couldn't do that even with the assistance of Action Replay.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win -Gandhi

Its about disruption, always has been

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win -Gandhi

Great. Now we'll get Wii=skinny, less games=fasting jokes.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MetalGearSolid_4ever said:
The Wii has already won, the console war is over.

The battle for second place is way more interesting.

Yes, it won in sales.

I think its losing badly in every other aspect though. 

Games ( IMO. It has 9 90+ games only )

Graphics

Online gaming

Features

3rd party support

LordTheNightKnight said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Great. Now we'll get Wii=skinny, less games=fasting jokes.

oh, that's funny.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)