By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am amazed how much the Wii gets ignored in the console wars.

the wii has this gen in the bag. ps3 and 360 fanboys know this but to make themselves feel better they shroud their minds with the illusion that the wii doesnt exist so they can feel like the console their suppporting is ahead when in reality its not. Also what is casual and hardcore anyway? whatever happened to games being games? i remember when mario was just mario now hes "casual" because not all of his games are blood n guts, sex and rock n roll. That stuff is fun and all but its not necessary to make a game great. Legendary is more violent than mario galaxy but im still gonna perfer galaxy over legendary due to the fact that galaxy is a great game with amazing gameplay while legendary is just a generic shooter.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Raze said:

Get used to it, its been ongoing since the birth of the PS1.

Even if Nintendo delivers an amazing hd system next gen, there will be a ton of slagging on it, simply because it is a Nintendo product.  Ive run across a lot of gamers that say that they hate NIntendo and they hate the Wii, without giving a valid reason for it. Its just an ingrained hatred, sorta like a gaming version of racism, lodged in their heads somehow, maybe subliminal messeages in advertising? who knows? =)

I know. Nintendo has made mistakes, but these people will not recognize their triumphs, and only afterwards pretend they liked something Nintendo did (like acting as though the SNES was Nintendo's best system after tearing it apart when it was actually around).

"The Wii won, it won years ago. What else do you want to talk about?"

The aspects of the system other than sales leads? The Wii kind of has hardware and software, even if it's not to your tastes (same as Madden gets discussed by non sports game fans).

I do disscuss Wii games all the times.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Raze said:

Get used to it, its been ongoing since the birth of the PS1.

Even if Nintendo delivers an amazing hd system next gen, there will be a ton of slagging on it, simply because it is a Nintendo product.  Ive run across a lot of gamers that say that they hate NIntendo and they hate the Wii, without giving a valid reason for it. Its just an ingrained hatred, sorta like a gaming version of racism, lodged in their heads somehow, maybe subliminal messeages in advertising? who knows? =)

I know. Nintendo has made mistakes, but these people will not recognize their triumphs, and only afterwards pretend they liked something Nintendo did (like acting as though the SNES was Nintendo's best system after tearing it apart when it was actually around).

"The Wii won, it won years ago. What else do you want to talk about?"

The aspects of the system other than sales leads? The Wii kind of has hardware and software, even if it's not to your tastes (same as Madden gets discussed by non sports game fans).

I do disscuss Wii games all the times.

I know you do. The OP was about gaming enthusiasts in general.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Sorcery said:
pariz said:
demonfox13 said:
tehsage said:
Sorcery said:
tehsage said:
Sorcery said:
It's because very, very few talented development teams are working on the Wii compared to the PS3 and the 360. Most third parties have their best teams working on the PS3 or 360 (see: EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc).

The Wii is getting Monster Hunter Tri, though! :D

Does MH3, ports of great last-gen games, a lot of Resident Evil, and Zack & Wiki match up well against Dead Rising, Lost Planet, DMC4, RE5, SFIV, and Dark Void? :p

I think I enjoyed Zach and Wiki more than all the non Wii games mentioned together.

I guess Demon's Souls is no good.....oh wait, it's too hard for the casual market hehe nvm.

That is exactly the kind of comment we are talking about (I bet you would do great with Fire Emblem, smart ass).

As in movies, by instance, there is lots of prejudice prior to the judgment of whether  a game is good or not. These are some of them:

* You've got those who think that a 250 millon dollar movie, with lots of special effects is somehow better than a 1 millon one, with no effects.

* Somehow, a gory and bloody game is better than Little King Story or A boy and his Blob.

* What small kids or parents enjoy cannot be good enough for badass teenagers or "real men".

Labels are important. They contribute to create a particular idea of what things are supposed to be and most of people react to them. The casual labelled to Nintendo console was a smart move made by Nintendo to wider the gaming market. The HD consoles replied quite effectively: they turn its strength into a weakness to assure themselves a share of the market. Later, development teams kind of reacted to what the user base and the gaming community was somehow expecting. It doesn't matter the true hardcore gaming possibilities of a console. If the market studies tell them that "hardcore" gamers are convinced that the "hardcore" experience is going to be on the HD consoles, then damn the Nintendo Fan base. Stupid neglective market studies.

It's not just the expensive games that are on the HD consoles, a lot of the better indie developers are making games on the HD consoles too, and I'd equate Indie games with budget films.

Wii Ware's best game is still World of Goo, which was a PC game to begin with.

Fortunately, you are right. That proves that great games do not necesarily equal big budgets.

I was just talking about prejudices.

Zer0John said:
Wii has nothing to do with the console war, it is for a different, casual public. But 360 AND PS3 are mainly for gamers and have the same games, except few exclusives, so the war is between those 2 platforms.

What in the hell does that mean? So...the Wii is not a console anymore?

Around the Network

We can't discount that it's Nintendo, too. I think there are some fragments of the enthusiast market that just want Nintendo themselves to go away, or at least go 3rd party. Attitudes towards Wii from the press and their followers feel very similar to attitudes towards GameCube, just with a few words changed around ("kiddy" to "gimmick" and so forth).

The only thing GameCube had going for it in terms of internet hype was that it was underground, to a certain extent. It was niche, which made it kinda cool, whereas Nintendo is trying to make Wii as mainstream as possible, so Nintendo lost that last vestige of coolness that they once had

Not speaking from my opinion of course, i'm just trying to divine what the people are thinking.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Kenology said:
@ richardhutnik:

When you make threads like this - all the trolls come out from under their bridges. Be mindful next time!

Agreed. And the VAST majority of people who stink up the Nintendo forum are Sony boys. Don't you guys have your own forum to hang out in?!?!

Metallicube said:
Sorcery said:
It's because very, very few talented development teams are working on the Wii compared to the PS3 and the 360. Most third parties have their best teams working on the PS3 or 360 (see: EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, etc).

THIS is what continues to baffle me the most, not that people are ignoring Wii in sales discussions, but that 3rd parties are actually ignoring it and acting like it's a last place console when it's a first place console. And they are giving the losing consoles the most support. This industry is so amazingly ass backwards you simply have to stand in awe of it.

With rare exception, 360+PS3 sales of a game exceed the sales of a Wii-only game.  Because of this, it is seen as a better business decision to develop a PC/PS3/360 title (or PS3/360 title alone) than one that also includes the Wii.  Game developing on the Wii is fundamentally different, and the Wii is able to do less than the high def platforms.  I would say this is a large reason why the Wii has been ignored, unless the console makers are going exclusive.

Like some of you elaborated, there's a variety of reasons for the shunning of the Wii, from the ridiculous, to the relevant.

For me, it's because it has last-gen graphics, and very few games that interest me - all the wii sports, resort, party babiez, whatever, is pointless - as in, I have zero interest in that stuff. I grew up, thus I couldn't care less about Mario, specially if it's a kart game, sports game, washing-your-teeth-with-Mario game, i've always found Zelda completely overrated, and the third parties, for the most part, are crap on the Wii.

That leaves Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes and Madworld as the only Wii games that interest me. One of those is coming to 360/PS3 with much better graphics (NMH) now, and i'm not gonna buy a console for just 2 games.

"With rare exception, 360+PS3 sales of a game exceed the sales of a Wii-only game."

The problem is most of the Wii only games wouldn't have sold any better if they were otherwise the same but on the HD consoles.

I still bring up Monster Hunter 3 because it was the same circumstances as the best selling HD games, and in Japan, it's the bestselling third party game for all the home systems. They did it right, and it worked.

Most of the games that don't work on the Wii aren't done right. They aren't even the kind of game that sells on the HD systems.

So developers aren't selling their hit games on the Wii because for the most part they aren't making their hit games for the Wii.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs