By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I am amazed how much the Wii gets ignored in the console wars.

If you people want to argue about the Wii go right ahead. But, for me, mainstream games are not interesting. I just can't get excited over wii sports. Every single game on the Wii that I might like (RPGs only pretty much, all the on rails FPS games on the Wii are shit) would have been done equally as good or better on the PS360. No argument I've seen has be able to prove otherwise, least of all those that talk about motion controls.

If motion controls are what it takes for gaming to go 'mainstream' thats fine, great even. Nintendo deserves props for once again showing how to get to number 1, both in handhelds and consoles.

But if you think that 'HD' gamers should bow down to the Wii and talk about it like its interesting, you're just as delusional as those who ignore the fact that the Nintendo now dominates the video game market. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network

Jealousy!!!

psrock said:
Kenology said:
For every game you two mention (BladeOfGod and psrock), I can name Wii games that the HD consoles won't get either - so this is kinda... pointless.

Let me Help you.

MH3, DQ, Epic Mickey

that's it.

Silent Hil:Shattered Memories, Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers too

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Raze said:
psrock said:
Kenology said:
For every game you two mention (BladeOfGod and psrock), I can name Wii games that the HD consoles won't get either - so this is kinda... pointless.

Let me Help you.

MH3, DQ, Epic Mickey

that's it.

Re5, FFXIII might help appease the lost of those two games.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
dharh said:

If you people want to argue about the Wii go right ahead. But, for me, mainstream games are not interesting. I just can't get excited over wii sports. Every single game on the Wii that I might like (RPGs only pretty much, all the on rails FPS games on the Wii are shit) would have been done equally as good or better on the PS360. No argument I've seen has be able to prove otherwise, least of all those that talk about motion controls.

If motion controls are what it takes for gaming to go 'mainstream' thats fine, great even. Nintendo deserves props for once again showing how to get to number 1, both in handhelds and consoles.

But if you think that 'HD' gamers should bow down to the Wii and talk about it like its interesting, you're just as delusional as those who ignore the fact that the Nintendo now dominates the video game market. 

You do realize that the HD gamers will "bow to the Wii" when they pick up Natal or PS3 Gem? Basically, thats MS and Sony's way of conceeding defeat to Nintendo's concept of controls. Just sayin

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Around the Network

Its not fun discussing a console that's so far ahead of the other two, its practically there sales combined. The race for second is far more entertaining since the gap is so small.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

RageBot said:
Nick said:
RageBot said:
Nick said:
RageBot said:
Pepole ignore the Wii since most pepole who care about gaming, who likes to discuss gaming, pepole who sees it as a real hobby (and not just pepole who sees it as "simple fun", though that includes pepole who only play CoD and the kind) just don't find the Wii's library attractive to their tastes.

That's a pretty general stereotype.  Considering I (and a lot of Wii owners) have been playing video games since before you were born, I'd say there are plenty of gamers on the Wii that see gaming as a real hobby.  The Wii's library has a lot of great games in it, perhaps just not for teenagers. 

Oh, so you aren't stereotyping? Read my messege again, all of those teenagers you talk about? I file them under the exact same group us those who only buy the Wii for "casual games".
Oh, and if there are plenty who see it as a real hobby.... WHERE ARE THEM? Vgchartz is the only forum I know where there is a high majority of Nintendo fans (Which makes sense from your prerspective, since the averge age in this site is like...25+?)
And don't try to fool yourself that they see it as a real hobby, yet don't go on forums, pepole with hobbies discuss them with other pepole.

You might not be aware of this, but most people my age ~ 30 don't travel message boards, not that that is or ever will be a litums for a hobby.  Not many people want to venture onto a forum and be made to feel inferior simply because they enjoy the Wii's offerings.   

That doesn't mean that they can't see gaming as a real hobby or that they don't exist.  Sure there are people that buy the Wii for Wii Sports and other similar games and only play at gatherings.  You seem to be making the false assumption that this is all Wii owners, and that "real gamers" don't like the Wii.  This gen has had a lot of people, mostly 15-20, telling me and others in my situation that suddenly we're not "real gamers" because we enjoy the Wii's offerings. 

I started playing games 6 years before you were born, you are not in the position to make the decision that I (or a lot of Wii owners like me) don't care about games or view them as a hobby. 

So why are there so many pepole above 30 on Prog Music message boards? Or miniature building message boards? These pepole shouldn't be on the internet! SO WHY ARE THEY DISCUSSING OTHER HOBBIES, AND NOT GAMING?

And anyway, the fact that I wasn't born back than, does not mean I can't see reality for what it is now, stop feeling superior because you were born earlier than me :)

And also - pepole can enjoy gaming, but unless they care about it, they just don't really see it as a hobby, for example, I like movies, I love going to cinemas with my friends, but if the movie industry will somehow disappear, i'll just say "meh" and carry on.

Oh, one more thing - What was your favorite console from the last to gens, and why? (Console, not handheld)

Progessive music and miniature building message boards aren't full of young, narcissistic, and generally immature posters.  It's the only reason I come to this site and not to gaf, ign, gamespot or the likes.  The posters here, young and old, have a lot more maturity than those sites.  I'm sure you'll find out in about 10 years that you don't enjoy being around mostly teenagers, as you likely don't want to hang out with 10 year olds now. 

I in no way feel superior to you.  I do feel that you don't get to decide who real gamers are.  And as far as seeing reality for what it is now... do you hang out with 30 year olds?  The only reality you have to see is what you surround yourself with.  Do you have anything to base your realities on, other than the viewpoints of the other people your age that you likely hang out with exclusively?

A hobby is quite literally something you do in your free time for enjoyment or maybe relaxation.  If you like movies and enjoy going to the theater with your friends then that is a hobby. 

My favorite consoles from the last 2 gen's in order:

PS2>GC>Xbox>Dreamcast

N64=PS1>Saturn

Why?  PS2 had such a wealth of games that anyone could find something they liked.  A lot of casual and shovelware that people like to forget about now along with a ton of great strategy and rpg (which is what won me over).  Next is GC because I like most of Nintendo's first party offerings and a few of the 3rd party's.  Xbox didn't have much that really appealed to me, and I never had a Dreamcast so I can't really say on that one.  64 and PS1 are equal to me because I spent about the same time with each for different genres. 

This gen I've enjoyed the Wii the most simply because of Nintendo's first party offerings and the amount of fun I've had playing with friends.  Then the 360, because of the rpg's that it got at the beginning of the gen.  Last would be the PS3, because it shares a lot of the same library with the 360 and until recently only had a few exclusives that really shined.  Although, at this point in time time the PS3 has really come into it's own, but for me the 360 has up till now gotten more playtime from me.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

psrock said:
Raze said:

Re5, FFXIII might help appease the lost of those two games.

You mean Silent Hill: Homecoming and.... something else, I hope

Raze said:
dharh said:

You do realize that the HD gamers will "bow to the Wii" when they pick up Natal or PS3 Gem? Basically, thats MS and Sony's way of conceeding defeat to Nintendo's concept of controls. Just sayin

No, we won't. First of all, it's not Nintendo's concept, unless by concept you mean mainstream non-precise wand based motion control. Second, motion controls predate the Wii, in fact both SONY and Nintendo had previous motion controls. Third, both SONY and MS version of motion controls are basically non-mainstream, meaning they will most likely still not be competition for the Wii. Fourth, and this is my sincere hope, both HD-twins versions of motion controls will not be the primary way to control games. The dualshock 3/4 and the X360/720 controller will still be the primary way to play games, as it should be.

If by chance all games end up with motion control a sizable chunk of the market will walk away. I can guarantee it. 

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

dharh said:
Raze said:

No, we won't. First of all, it's not Nintendo's concept, unless by concept you mean mainstream non-precise wand based motion control. Second, motion controls predate the Wii, in fact both SONY and Nintendo had previous motion controls. Third, both SONY and MS version of motion controls are basically non-mainstream, meaning they will most likely still not be competition for the Wii. Fourth, and this is my sincere hope, both HD-twins versions of motion controls will not be the primary way to control games. The dualshock 3/4 and the X360/720 controller will still be the primary way to play games, as it should be.

If by chance all games end up with motion control a sizable chunk of the market will walk away. I can guarantee it. 

Would you care to make a bet concerning any of this? Particularly the idea that Natal isn't trying to appeal to the mainstream.