By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - sooo........... is it safe to say that reggie won or will win the bet?

sooo........... is it safe to say that reggie won or will win the bet?

yes 106 56.08%

no 56 29.63%

maybe 27 14.29%

Total:189
demonfox13 said:

Sigh, if you choose to be blinded by the love and loyalty to Mario then so be it, any spinoff or otherwise that has had Mario  is part of the Mario franchise and it is milked. Or else we could say that FFVII was the only one in the series since Vincent's game Dirge of Cerberus isn't the "main series", we could also say that ODST, Reach and Halo Wars also don't count since they aren't main series which would be Halo 1, 2 and 3. By that same token COD would only include COD1, 2, 3, and WAW, while MW1 and 2 are something totally different. Just wait till Nordlead comes, I would actually care more about his opinion on the matter since despite being a huge Ninty fan, he is fairly open minded, not blinded and unbiased.

Yes, asscoiating games based solely on one character makes much more sense than using gameplay mechanics. Clearly New Super Mario Bros Wii is the long awaited sequel to Mario Kart Wii. The new tracks are a bit strange though, and a lot less circular.

Lumping them all together because of one commonality makes absolutely no sense. This is more true since most people would lump the Final Fantasy series together, and they don't even share a common world! When a spin-off becomes successful enough to spawn its own franchise then it is time to stop counting them in with the main franchise. For example, the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series of games is never used to show how "milked" Final Fantasy is. And those games come out like crazy it seems.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
demonfox13 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
demonfox13 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Haha, Mario is on his fifth 2d adventure in 25 years. Call of Duty is on it's 6th in 6 years. 4 Mario Kart's since the SNES, how many Halo's?

Who's milking now?

I don't see Mario outselling MW2 360 in America before the end of Jan. It will have outsold it WW before 09 ends though.

Nintendo will have the biggest 'casual' game of 09, Wii Sports Resort at 11M and the biggest 'core' game of 09, with Mario at ~9M. Once word of mouth on Mario 5 kicks in we'll see him outsell all versions of MW2 combined and more.

Donkey Kong which was the first game to feature Mario I believe, then you go into Donkey Kong Junior, then that arcade Mario bros. pipe game with 2 player co-op and competetive, then Super Mario bros. Super Mario bros. 2, Super Mario bros. 3, Super Mario Land,  Super Mario Land 2, Super World, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario & Sonic olympic games thing, Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, MArio and Luigi: Bowser's inside story, Super Mario Kart, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: the thousand year door, Mario Tennis, Dr. Mario, Mario is missing (yea that luigi game), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars, mario kart 64, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Party 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8...., not including the Mario golf games, etc......in your famous words "Who's milking now?" Oh and btw, on the Wii alone there are about 11 Mario and Mario related titles. The 360 has Halo 3, Halo ODST (more of an expansion but for the sake of the argument I'll use it as a full game), and Halo Wars. Halo: Reach is yet to come out, but so is Super Mario Galaxy 2. 

Is it surprising that the Wii titles are selling? Of course not given the install base but credit to where credit is due, the 360 with nearly half the install base (probably less given RROD and E74) has moved software at an amazing rate. Again this coming from a PS3 owner and fan but I am not blinded by my "brand loyalty," I enjoy games on all 3 systems but it so happens that I have been enjoying them more on my system of choice. And yes my 80gb MGS4 bundle seems to be backwards compatible with every ps1 and ps2 game i've put in so far, and trust me I do have ALOT of games. 

Oh yea, here are a few sources

http://www.mariowiki.com/Games

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mario_history.shtml, http://www.gamecubicle.com/features-mario-units_sold_sales.htm, http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=paper+mario

Might wanna reply to my post too, and not just ignore it.

My apologies it took me so long to respond majin, between Triple Triad and trying to respond to that other guy, I missed your post. You are partially right about Zelda but....I'll let you be the judge of that here: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Category:Games. I wouldn't go as far as saying milked like mario or final fantasy VII, but as I said, you be the judge of that.

I wouldn't really consider it to be milked since we generally have to wait our fair share of time for a new main game in the series, and it's not like spinoffs are coming out every other month. I can see why it took you so long to reply, though, Triple Triad really is addicting

FUCK! I lost my Diablos card ...AGAIN, and trying to get it back I just lost my Ifrit Card. Sigh, now another half hour worth to get them back. But back on topic, yes, I would partially consider the Zelda franchise "milked" but not to the full definition. I do find it funny that people can't accept how much the Mario franchise has gotten milked since the beginning. And to that other guy, NO that silly example you gave about Kratos being in Soul Calibur. Notice I didn't mention at all SSBB, because I don't consider it as part of the Mario franchise to the full definition as it's a crossover of many different games including MGS, Metroid, Zelda, etc. Anyways, back to getting my cards.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

demonfox13 said:

FUCK! I lost my Diablos card ...AGAIN, and trying to get it back I just lost my Ifrit Card. Sigh, now another half hour worth to get them back. But back on topic, yes, I would partially consider the Zelda franchise "milked" but not to the full definition. I do find it funny that people can't accept how much the Mario franchise has gotten milked since the beginning. And to that other guy, NO that silly example you gave about Kratos being in Soul Calibur. Notice I didn't mention at all SSBB, because I don't consider it as part of the Mario franchise to the full definition as it's a crossover of many different games including MGS, Metroid, Zelda, etc. Anyways, back to getting my cards.

I really don't understand what your point is.

The core Mario series has been in existence for 25 years and it's been universally recognised as one of the best, and it's certainly still a massive event when a new one comes out - note how surprised people are that Nintendo for the first time since the NES are releasing a sequel to the series on one console.

There have also been numerous off-shoots that have turned into highly successful series in their own right, sometimes by Nintendo and sometimes by other companies - such as Mario Kart, the 3 different RPG series (RPG, Paper and Mario & Luigi), Dr. Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Party.

There are also lesser recognised series such as Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, and one-offs like the great Mario Paint.

I guess I could understand what you mean when you say 'milked' if the series were suffering a decline in quality because so many titles were being chucked out with little or no demand for them or that they were becoming low grade, but people WANT new installments of the core series, they want a Mario Kart and Smash Bros update on a new system, they want more from the RPG series. These series are very popular.

Listing all the games that feature Mario from different series only demonstrates how popular and consistent these series are, it certainly doesn't justify an argument that the franchise is getting 'milked.'

Yes if you want to.

No if you don't want to.

It's all a matter of perspective, kind of a metaphor for how this generation has been. It's all been a matter of perspective.

"It's too early to feel safe!"

Old school gamers know where that quote came from.

Around the Network
demonfox13 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
demonfox13 said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
demonfox13 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Haha, Mario is on his fifth 2d adventure in 25 years. Call of Duty is on it's 6th in 6 years. 4 Mario Kart's since the SNES, how many Halo's?

Who's milking now?

I don't see Mario outselling MW2 360 in America before the end of Jan. It will have outsold it WW before 09 ends though.

Nintendo will have the biggest 'casual' game of 09, Wii Sports Resort at 11M and the biggest 'core' game of 09, with Mario at ~9M. Once word of mouth on Mario 5 kicks in we'll see him outsell all versions of MW2 combined and more.

Donkey Kong which was the first game to feature Mario I believe, then you go into Donkey Kong Junior, then that arcade Mario bros. pipe game with 2 player co-op and competetive, then Super Mario bros. Super Mario bros. 2, Super Mario bros. 3, Super Mario Land,  Super Mario Land 2, Super World, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario & Sonic olympic games thing, Super Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, MArio and Luigi: Bowser's inside story, Super Mario Kart, Super Paper Mario, Paper Mario: the thousand year door, Mario Tennis, Dr. Mario, Mario is missing (yea that luigi game), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars, mario kart 64, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Party 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8...., not including the Mario golf games, etc......in your famous words "Who's milking now?" Oh and btw, on the Wii alone there are about 11 Mario and Mario related titles. The 360 has Halo 3, Halo ODST (more of an expansion but for the sake of the argument I'll use it as a full game), and Halo Wars. Halo: Reach is yet to come out, but so is Super Mario Galaxy 2. 

Is it surprising that the Wii titles are selling? Of course not given the install base but credit to where credit is due, the 360 with nearly half the install base (probably less given RROD and E74) has moved software at an amazing rate. Again this coming from a PS3 owner and fan but I am not blinded by my "brand loyalty," I enjoy games on all 3 systems but it so happens that I have been enjoying them more on my system of choice. And yes my 80gb MGS4 bundle seems to be backwards compatible with every ps1 and ps2 game i've put in so far, and trust me I do have ALOT of games. 

Oh yea, here are a few sources

http://www.mariowiki.com/Games

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/mario_history.shtml, http://www.gamecubicle.com/features-mario-units_sold_sales.htm, http://www.gamespot.com/search.html?qs=paper+mario

Might wanna reply to my post too, and not just ignore it.

My apologies it took me so long to respond majin, between Triple Triad and trying to respond to that other guy, I missed your post. You are partially right about Zelda but....I'll let you be the judge of that here: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Category:Games. I wouldn't go as far as saying milked like mario or final fantasy VII, but as I said, you be the judge of that.

I wouldn't really consider it to be milked since we generally have to wait our fair share of time for a new main game in the series, and it's not like spinoffs are coming out every other month. I can see why it took you so long to reply, though, Triple Triad really is addicting

Seems to me you're trying to spin everything because you don't like something, and think is normal to dislike something.

Mario is featured in different franchises, which is a normal thing for a mascot, almost like a logo. Cartoonists used to have one prominent character they used in all cartoons, Miyamoto was inspired by this and created Mario for this very purpose. But all along they've been very careful about the quality of the games Mario is on.

Milking is I believe when you take a game franchise and make many versions of it in a short span, or put your character on many subpar games to give them a boost at the expense of your character's reputation(in case of branding). When branding and game is mutually beneficial(the game being good benefits brand reputation, brand may benefit the game) and the products are different, they're not mutually exclusive. The games Mario has been in and were different franchises are different consumer product segments.

I said No, I think MW2 X360 will sell more, even though Mario deserves more sales compared to it.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

The whole bet was a mess to begin with. The interviewer asked if NSMBWii will outsell MW2. Reggie said yes, on one console, by the time January NDP comes in (not making it obvious if he actually meant USA sales or not). The interviewer than shouted "THREE SIXTY!!!!" and Reggie didn't comment on it.

So, the bet is about NSMBWii outselling MW2 on _____ console, in ____ region, by the end of January.

Alterego-X said:
The whole bet was a mess to begin with. The interviewer asked if NSMBWii will outsell MW2. Reggie said yes, on one console, by the time January NDP comes in (not making it obvious if he actually meant USA sales or not). The interviewer than shouted "THREE SIXTY!!!!" and Reggie didn't comment on it.

So, the bet is about NSMBWii outselling MW2 on _____ console, in ____ region, by the end of January.

So basically the interviewer just set him up for a fall then?? That is just mean.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Alterego-X said:

No.

The interviewer said "On the 360?". Reggie then said "I do belive so..."