By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Do you find good news for PS3 these days seems to be followed by bad news?

I was just looking at the second week numbers for FF13 and was surprised at its drop.  It seemed like not too long ago many were expecting it to be the best selling game in the series and now it's tracking several hundred thousand behind FF12's sales.  It just seems to me that everytime something good happens to the PS3 something bad usually does to put a damper on it (remember when November's NPD numbers came out and put a damper on PS3's sales celebrations?).  The same for Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, and other PS3 exclusives in which the sales seem pretty good but are overshadowed by games that have lower Metacritic scores but have sold a lot more. 

I'm not trying to troll with this thread (unless reality is trolling the PS3), I'm just making an observation.  I guess there is one thing about 2009 for the PS3 that can't be taken away by any other console and that's the amazing scores for two of the PS3's 2009 games which are games of the year in their own right, Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls.

Around the Network

I usually see it more like good news followed by damage control from the other console fans. Same thing the other way around too.

the drop was as expected, in line with drops of other FF games. Some people aren't used to the fact that FF usually sells 75% of its sales first week.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Its a normal FF week 2 drop.

If people thought FFXIII was going to be the biggest seller in the series it was because its multi-platform in the west, not because of Japans sales.

And no I haven't noticed that good news for the PS3 is followed by bad news.

tombi123 said:

If people thought FFXIII was going to be the biggest seller in the series it was because its multi-platform in the west, not because of Japans sales.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy always sells most of its SW first week.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Xen said:
tombi123 said:

Tripled.

2009 has been a year of good news for the PS3 with slim, price cut, great games, and excellent sales (at least hardware). I think that this was all topped with the million in a week sales figure of last week. I guess most could not have asked for a better year's ending.

It was a standard drop for a FF game, therefore expected and not bad news. Please check for something that obvious before posting - just seems silly to imply FF has suffered some dreadfully unexpected drop when it's totally in line with a hugely front loaded franchise in Japan when a two second check would have corrected your facts.

As to your second point, nope, I haven't felt any pattern of good/bad news - unless you're referring to attempts to always make good news look bad by certain fanboys.

For example NPD was in no way a surprise to anyone with half a brain. The Wii is the new PS2 currently in US and 360 is dominant - the real surprise was the PS3 was able to get the traction it was off it's price drop, I really though there simply wasn't enough marketshare left between the Wii and 360 for it to sell like that in US. Any sensible person tracking console sales knows there isn't going to be some amazing turnaround in US because of one game, for example Uncharted 2.

So I'd have to disagree really.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Is it me, or is it that anything related to the ps3 you like to put a negative spin. Every thread I see is anti ps3. I'm not trying to troll - it's just an observation.

In regards to the drop - like others have said it was always expected to drop suddenly. I just hope like most games on the ps3 that it has legs.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil