By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamekult FF13 import review - 7/10 - its a bad RPG, a bad FF

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
blaydcor said:
IX was the best of the post-2D Final Fantasies, with XII being the second best.
FF gamers these days just want a cool main character with a badass weapon so they can kick vicarious ass. Throw in a mediocre plot with a few cliche-ridden villains/supporting characters, gloss it all over with pretty graphics, and you've got a smash hit new Final Fantasy.

FF XIII looks to be the worst offender on all of these accounts so far. I've had very little hype from the day it was announced that the main character was named "Lightning"--that naming choice alone speaks volumes about the mindset behind the game.

So basiclly you liked the two 3D FF's that had no pretty boys? just askin'...

I like all Final Fantasies to a degree (except 8, it's just not that good of a game); 9 and 12 just happen to be my favorite as they are the two most original, non-derivative post-VII entries.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
FF gamers these days just want a cool main character with a badass weapon so they can kick vicarious ass. Throw in a mediocre plot with a few cliche-ridden villains/supporting characters, gloss it all over with pretty graphics, and you've got a smash hit new Final Fantasy.

FF XIII looks to be the worst offender on all of these accounts so far. I've had very little hype from the day it was announced that the main character was named "Lightning"--that naming choice alone speaks volumes about the mindset behind the game.

IX was the worst, with XII being second-worst. (But XII at least had great gameplay!)

We need a badass character with a mediocre plot? Well, FF IX and XII know all about mediocre plots. And annoying leads, too. I'll take badass instead, thank you.

XIII will prove superior to both of these anomalies - thorns in one of greatest gaming series in the world - Final Fantasy.

@iLLmatic: Good for what it was? a Mediocre Final Fantasy with only its graphics and music going for it?

Unlucky number 13. FFXIII could be the worst main story FF game in the series to date. So far the reviews in are not looking that great for FFXIII. More western reviews out between now and early March when the game gets released in the West will reveal the true story of this game.

papflesje said:
Pristine20 said:
whatever. Another unknown reviewer craves attention.

LOL

Just because YOU don't know this, doesn't mean it's a site craving attention. Gamekult has ALWAYS been incredibly strict. They don't release reviews when games come out, they release them when they've played the game thoroughly. You may not agree with their pov, but it's not a playboy or maxim-wannabe review. This site is legit and strict, that's all there is to it (unlike IGN's "Here, another game with 95/100 because we get the review early"-attitude). Whether the score is acceptable or not for FF XIII, I don't know, since I haven't played the game, but gamekult shouldn't be dismissed merely because you don't know it. It's a respectable gaming site.

yep, I do agree with this

it is just the best french videogame website

that does not mean there are perfect

9/10 for SFIV is too high to me (SF on HD)
9/10 for DoW2 also

Time to Work !

blaydcor said:
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
blaydcor said:

So basiclly you liked the two 3D FF's that had no pretty boys? just askin'...

I like all Final Fantasies to a degree (except 8, it's just not that good of a game); 9 and 12 just happen to be my favorite as they are the two most original, non-derivative post-VII entries.

Ah i see, i understand what you mean by that then. agreed.

Around the Network
Xen said:
blaydcor said:

IX was the worst, with XII being second-worst. (But XII at least had great gameplay!)

We need a badass character with a mediocre plot? Well, FF IX and XII know all about mediocre plots. And annoying leads, too. I'll take badass instead, thank you.

XIII will prove superior to both of these anomalies - thorns in one of greatest gaming series in the world - Final Fantasy.

@iLLmatic: Good for what it was? a Mediocre Final Fantasy with only its graphics and music going for it?

If you truly think that any of Final Fantasy's protagonists are "badass", then I'm pretty sure this discussion isn't going to anywhere.

I've said this before: the story you tell isn't important, it's how you tell it. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

numonex said:
Unlucky number 13. FFXIII could be the worst main story FF game in the series to date. So far the reviews in are not looking that great for FFXIII. More western reviews out between now and early March when the game gets released in the West will reveal the true story of this game.

FF XIII = FF X

FF X = The best FF to date

FF XIII = contender for the best/2nd best FF to date.

@blaydcor: I never described them as badass, you did. I just took your description and fit it into my opinion.

Final Fantasy IX was a return to the roots of the Final Fantasy series' roots. It had a fun and easier to understand gameplay system than VIII, VIII's Junction/Draw system confused a shit load of people I knew. It had an awesome soundtrack, and a good cast (Vivi was awesome).

It may not have had an uber badass lead character or an amazing story, but it does not deserve to be called a mediocre Final Fantasy, it was a great game and was a change for the series. I'm not saying its the best, but its certainly not the worst and it scored higher than all of the other Final Fantasy's (I think).

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

The soundtrack was the best ever, I gotta give it that. No other FF soundtrack compares.

If you don't understand the Junction system, you shouldn't be playing JRPG's. It's an extremely simple system. Draw/refine spells, junction to stat. DONE. If you don't understand, refer to the tutorial. It explains the sysem perfectly.

IX's combat was too goddamn slow, and thanks to that, learning new abilities was a huge pain. Return to the roots is okay, the world is okay, but since everyone but Vivi, Freya, and Steiner suck, it's hard to play. Remember - you have to bear with your characters all the time.

Xen said:
The soundtrack was the best ever, I gotta give it that. No other FF soundtrack compares.

If you don't understand the Junction system, you shouldn't be playing JRPG's. It's an extremely simple system. Draw/refine spells, junction to stat. DONE. If you don't understand, refer to the tutorial. It explains the sysem perfectly.

IX's combat was too goddamn slow, and thanks to that, learning new abilities was a huge pain. Return to the roots is okay, the world is okay, but since everyone but Vivi, Freya, and Steiner suck, it's hard to play. Remember - you have to bear with your characters all the time.

Wasn't talking about myself when I mentioned Final Fantasy VIII just incase you were talking about me :(. I mastered that and have already done 2 speedrun's on the PSN version of the game, B-B-B-B-Broken!

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!