By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamekult FF13 import review - 7/10 - its a bad RPG, a bad FF

Gamekult.com Import Review

To sum up a title as FF XIII is finally easy. It is a bad RPG, a bad Final Fantasy, but also a sympathetic mix of reflexion and contemplation. The player go through the game in straight line of completely empty beautiful environments before demolishing the end of corridor boss and the various monsters interposing. The actual gameplay of the title is about its original and catchy combat system which focused as much on reflexes as with reflexion. The compulsive interventionism of the first 20 hours may irritate, but also reassure the beginners to whom the game is aimed at with his with beautiful adeventure side. Visually very impressive but rather poor on animations, the title is a postcard of every moment, an incredible aesthetic made with success. Add a scenario which mixes the large SF with some high-school girl 'fanfic', and you obtain a little empty but well made up curiosity. To try only for the splendid combats and the second part of the game, clearly fascinating and impressive.

+ Fabulous graphics
+ catchy combat system
+ fascinating second part of the game
+ splendid cinematics

- too many corridors…
- miss variety
- no side activity
- a large 20 hours tutorial is tiring

7/10
the game is most hated ff in japan and everywhere, noone likes it, i think it will do bad in west

Around the Network

whatever. Another unknown reviewer craves attention.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I don't really understand how a "bad RPG" would still get a 7/10. Seems like it's an average RPG going by that score.

"the game is most hated ff in japan and everywhere, noone likes it, i think it will do bad in west" is a bit of an exaggeration, no? It will still get good reviews from main sites and sell a ton regardless of these random reviews.

it is becoming a trend now, it was fine when a few sites gived it 7/10 but now its many more

So, according to them, it's just as bad as FFVI (PSOne), Dissidia, Crisis Core and FFIII (DS).  However it is better than FFIV (DS)....

So, it looks like it will be a great game.

Around the Network

Whatever, people are going to bash it all day long for no reason. This is stupid.

Diablerie said:

So, according to them, it's just as bad as FFVI (PSOne), Dissidia, Crisis Core and FFIII (DS).  However it is better than FFIV (DS)....

Where did you glean that from?

-edit-

And does anybody else find it funny that if this review was a 9/10 or 10/10 everyone would be confirming FFXIII as the best one yet but since it's a 7/10 the review can't be trusted and people are just bashing it for no reason.

i was going to celebrate cuz' im boycotting FFXIII to hell and heaven, but this is an unknown gaming website that wants people to notice them.

AkibaFan said:
it is becoming a trend now, it was fine when a few sites gived it 7/10 but now its many more

lol so these "reviews" are what you have based your purchasing decisions on? If I listened to reviews, I'd lose count of how many games I'd have missed especially when it comes to JRPGs (the game that comes to mind especially is fire emblem: radiant dawn) I loved FE:Rd so much but I dont think it scored up to 80% on any site.

So far the people I've actually seen streaming ff13 (concrete Proof that they are playing it) have had mostly good things to say. Most of the bad, I can live with. If you're a JRPG fan, it'll be extremely difficult to find more than a handful of them that are better than ff13 so you'll need luck finding replacement games.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

twesterm said:
Diablerie said:

Where did you glean that from?

-edit-

And does anybody else find it funny that if this review was a 9/10 or 10/10 everyone would be confirming FFXIII as the best one yet but since it's a 7/10 the review can't be trusted and people are just bashing it for no reason.

I bet most people would still call overrated ff7 the best regardless of ff13's score. FF12's hatewagon is the hugest and it's the only one that got a perfect score from famitsu so if you ask me, the fan reaction and "critic reviews" tend to vary completely so your point is completely unfounded