By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem: RD Vs Valkyria Chronicles

whooo, way to much to read, but I will state this for starters. I love both games, but FE provide the deeper strategy and higher difficulty, which for a strategy game should be the primary decider in which is "better", but either way I hope to get sequels to both of these titles. As for my "qualifications" I think beating FE PoR and RD 4 times each (along with beating GBA Fire Emblem, and Dragon Sword on DS), qualifies as some knowledge of the game. I've beat VC twice.

I'll let Rolstoppable argue the merits of the strategy in Fire Emblem, as I don't feel I need to.

As for VC, great game, great graphics, great story, but lacking in the difficulty and strategy department. If memory serves me right (haven't booted it up in a while, but on my list to play again this winter) only the extra hard difficulty was actually hard, but only because they surrounded you and swamped you with enemies. A little unfair in my opinion.

As for the general strategy, you had 6 classes (not including tank) and 3 characters you should always choose for bonus badges. Throw in an extra scout/shocktrooper/lancer/engineer/sniper/medic, and you're set for pretty much any and every stage. Yes you can mix it up a little bit, but generally you'll be using your primary characters anyway. The variation between individual units is minimal and they all progress evenly, so no one character is stronger/weaker than another. You always choose highest accuracy for weapon improvement (as 3 headshots beats 3 strong misses any day), so the biggest variation in strategy is how you approach the stages. There is no growing of characters, or punishment for losing a character due to poor strategy.

Now, I'm not saying there is no strategy in VC (as that would be just wrong), but the depth of strategy isn't as deep as the many character/weapon combinations that you can bring into FE to approach the stages differently. Also, decisions earlier in FE bear a great weight on how you play the game later. Losing a character, not fielding them, using bonus items all have a long lasting effect on the game. The same can't really be said about VC. If I lose a character in VC, I replace them with another person who has equal stats just different character affinities.

so it goes something like this

Strategy - FE > VC
Graphics - VC > FE
Innovative/original - VC > FE
Difficulty - FE > VC
Story - toss up, I like both but I'm not the type of person that reads into the "depth" of the story and all that other crap, I just like to be entertained

which is overall better? It depends on what you want. If you want a hard traditional game, then obviously FE, if you want an innovative fresh take on the genre, then VC.

As for the praises on this website, VC fails to collect the sheer number of posts that FE does once a "let's talk about FE" thread kicks off.

oh, and anyone who thinks that Rolf is useless doesn't know what they are talking about

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I own and like both games but I'd have to give it Radiant Dawn. VC is definitely the more innovative of the two but I beat Radiant Dawn 3 times and have put close to if not more than 200 hours into it. As soon as I beat Radiant Dawn I started a new quest and thought about the different units I'd use and I did the same thing following the my second time completing the game.

As good as VC is, it's one of those one and done games. You beat it once and there is little reason to play through it again. I played VC on my roomate's PS3 and after he moved out. I bought my own PS3 and VC. I'm only up to chapter 9 on my PS3 because it doesn't have the same draw the second time through. I had to stop myself from playing Radiant Dawn because it was monopolizing time I could be using to play my other games.

yes, I agree, Val seemed to be more tatical, but in practise, one had to plan (much) more in FE PoR/RD (when and how level up wich characters and trie to get the max out of the exp.'s, and at the same time not letting any single one die, and chosing the right charas on the battle field in the first place (so one can survive, not only the ones one wants ot level up, ect)
and the overall Charas Style was more lovable in FE

Val was still very fresh and looked great

just really, really hope to, that FE and Val will both come back to the "big screen"

(I had to edit a bit here, the first time around, it had so many english mistakes...)

My favorite part of Fire Emblem though is the satisfaction you get after boss raping until you are insanely strong and the next few levels you are completely unstoppable. Edward and Rolf are the best in my opinion.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

While I have never played valkyria chronicles, I have played FE RD. Its one of the few sRPGs I've played (other than Shining Force, and games similar but I digress). Anyway, I love FE RD. I have to admit though that the difficulty of the game frustrated me multiple times. I've even let a few people die because I was like "If they can die that easily, who cares about them!!!" I can see how this would turn people away from the game. I think I've actually played a valkyria chronicle game (If the name Silmeria or however its spelled is familiar to you guys then yeah I have), but I'm not sure so I wont comment on it. But compared to other sRPGs that I've played, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn takes the cake. It had a great story (and I'm always a sucker for a good story), a good strategetic game play (I mean your not supposed to always win, come on thats kind of boring), a boat load of characters to choose from (always a plus), and character structure. You could actually get into the character's lives and stuff. That was interesting in itself. And it wasnt so linear that you were required to get all the characters or have all the characters in the end. I like a game where each time I play it over I find something new and yeah I did in FE RD. Well thats my opinion on FE RD but I cant really compare it to Valkyria Chronicles cause I'm not sure if I've played one of the games.