By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem: RD Vs Valkyria Chronicles

Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

I trust you will not take offense if I say that, that being the case, you're not really qualified to make comparisons between the games.

Not that I am, of course. Only a handful on the boards have played both games for any length of time (though I plan to play Valkyria when I have access to a PS3).

And how long do you think someone has to get through the game before they are qualified?  I made it through that fight, I would have to check my memory on the Wii to see exactly how long I played.

I think by your own admittance you weren't very clear on the mechanics of the game, so that's disqualification in and of itself.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

I trust you will not take offense if I say that, that being the case, you're not really qualified to make comparisons between the games.

Not that I am, of course. Only a handful on the boards have played both games for any length of time (though I plan to play Valkyria when I have access to a PS3).

And how long do you think someone has to get through the game before they are qualified?  I made it through that fight, I would have to check my memory on the Wii to see exactly how long I played.

I think by your own admittance you weren't very clear on the mechanics of the game, so that's disqualification in and of itself.

and the fact that the game didn't explain it very well (since I've gotten through all kinds of sRPG's before it) and the storyline/gameplay was not so enjoyable as to make me want to finish the game is meaningless?  With that thought process I can't compare Cross Edge to Valkyria either since I never finished the whole thing.

Torillian said:
Khuutra said:
Torillian said:

and the fact that the game didn't explain it very well (since I've gotten through all kinds of sRPG's before it) and the storyline/gameplay was not so enjoyable as to make me want to finish the game is meaningless?  With that thought process I can't compare Cross Edge to Valkyria either since I never finished the whole thing.

The game explains it as clearly as possible. "Place a marker here, and the yellow units will move to that location! Use this to guide them and keep them out of danger!" I'm paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.

The fact that you didn't follow instructions isn't the ggame's fault, per se.

And as I said before: Radiant Dawn may have just been too hard for you. Given its pedigree, that's not a quality that I can hold against it.

Khuutra said:
Torillian said:
Khuutra said:

All right, I guess I can take issue with this.

If you lose in Radiant Dawn, it's one hundred percent your fault. part of the tutorial for the level to which you refer shows you how to direct allied units - you set a yellow cursor that yellow units (like the merchants) run toward, so you direct where they move. It's very, very important for your strategies.

Radiant Dawn, more than any other game in the genre I've played, is fair. It is hard, but it is fair. If you lost, it's because you fouled up, not because the computer behaved poorly.

Perhaps I missed that, or attempted using that and still failed.  I'd tell you that I would give the game another shot, but I sold it a while ago since I felt no reason to get back into it so oh well. 

He's far more qualified to be in this discussion than you who have no experience with Valkyria Chronicles whatsoever, whereas he has actually played both and made a decision that he doesn't like one as much.

Fire Emblem is certainly not harder on Easy, and Valkyria Chronicles' hard difficulty is harder than Fire Emblem on normal. As far as actual strategy and tactics go, Valkyria Chronicles offers all sorts of layers of depth that Fire Emblem doesn't touch with its relatively simple and completely unchanging gameplay formula. Yes, it's brutal within those limits, but only because they kill you for a single mistake within a simple set of rules. VC has a large set of strategic options available, and while you can fail and lose your characters you aren't forced to play a map completely formulaically to stand any chance of survival. Rather the game actually offers a diverse amount of tactical options for multiple play styles.  

naznatips said:
Khuutra said:

He's far more qualified to be in this discussion than you who have no experience with Valkyria Chronicles whatsoever, whereas he has actually played both and made a decision that he doesn't like one as much.

Fire Emblem is certainly not harder on Easy, and Valkyria Chronicles' hard difficulty is harder than Fire Emblem on normal. As far as actual strategy and tactics go, Valkyria Chronicles offers all sorts of layers of depth that Fire Emblem doesn't touch with its relatively simple and completely unchanging gameplay formula. Yes, it's brutal within those limits, but only because they kill you for a single mistake within a simple set of rules. VC has a large set of strategic options available, and while you can fail and lose your characters you aren't forced to play a map completely formulaically to stand any chance of survival. Rather the game actually offers a diverse amount of tactical options for multiple play styles.  

To the first paragraph: I already said that I'm not qualified to talk about comparisons between the games. I commented only on Radiant Dawn, you will notice, and how its difficulty is often a barrier for many people playing through it. I am, at least, qualified to say that much, and I trust you will agree on my qualifications for that point. I never claimed Torillian wasn't qualified for the discussion - what hypocrisy that would be - simply that comparing the two games is a bit outside of the bounds of his experience.

We've had this discussion before, Naz. Most of the layers of depth you talked about were actually taken from Fire Emblem in its various iterations, with one or two also coming from Tactics Ogre. You made me familiar with tthem, though I doubt you remember the conversation, given the direction of this one.

There are many ways to beat the levels in Radiant Dawn - you just have to be good at it. There are many Radiant Dawn playstyles, and if this didn't make itself clear to you then you just did not become familiar with the possibilities.

(you will note, again, that I only speak here on my experience: a prior conversation we had and Radiant Dawn, so I hold to my qualifications)

Around the Network

Well I think you're full of crap about Fire Emblem allowing for multiple playstyles and you think I'm not good enough at the game, so we're not going to get anywhere with this conversation.

naznatips said:
Well I think you're full of crap about Fire Emblem allowing for multiple playstyles and you think I'm not good enough at the game, so we're not going to get anywhere with this conversation.

You stole that line from me in our IM convo

If you want I could call in one of the actual Fire Emblem experts, who have spent more time in Radiant Dawn than you or I have in any game period

Only if you want, though, and assuming that they don't see this thread already

Torillian said:
pariz said:
Torillian said:
I couldn't get through FE: RD. Found it way too annoying that people that died stayed gone forever instantly which drives me crazy because I always feel like I should restart a mission if I lose someone. Compound that with the fact I didn't really care about the story enough to make it through the difficulty of the game and I guess this would all lead to me disagreeing with your comparison of the two.

That's exactly what I had to do lots of times.

Funny how being hard is one of the things that people praise about Demon's Soul. In Fire Emblem, just like in it, when one of your characters die is only your fault. And you know it. It's up to you to try it again and grow better or not.

I know this kind of gameplay may lead to frustration and it's not meant to be enjoyed by everyone. But I don't get how it can be praised by Gamespot when it comes down to Demon's Soul and point out as a serious problem when it comes down to Fire Emblem.

But it isn't like Demon's Souls because when you fail in Demon's Souls it can only be your fault.  On the other hand when FE:RD gives me a mission where I'm supposed to protect two utterly retarded merchants that I don't control and the computer seems happy to send these two to certain doom whenever possible that drives me up a wall.  I probably would have finished the game if I hadn't gotten distracted by some game in the middle of it (no recollection what), but I find no drive whatsoever to pick the game back up. 

EXACTLY. Demon's Souls you have full control of whether you live or die with noone to blame but yourself, so it's really a bad comparison, as for the topic imo VC> FE.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

As much as I loved FE:RD, I have to say that VC is the better game primarily because of one area: PACING. FE:RD was my 1st FE game and I found the pacing to be horrid. I played on normal on my first runthrough and found the Micaiah chapters to be a nightmare.

However, upon getting to the Ike chapters, it was like wtf? It felt like the difficulty level just dropped. FE:RD is still an awesome game but it could definitely have turned lots of newcomers off. I just happen to have high tolerance for those sorts of games.

I could also just be biased in favor of VC because it's actually my 1st SRPG and if I didn't play it. I'd never have tried FE in the 1st place. Like you, I'm waiting for console follow-ups to both games because I despise handheld gaming.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

FE RD, in connection (Story Charactars) is superior than Valkyria, even if Val has more "tacical" depth, it isnt really that much more deep in practise

FE (main)charas and its (main)story is not so "komplex", but it hase somehow at times better emotions and the "side"-charas are more interessting if you ask me, in Val they just have too many side charas, with no emotions
and the over all style is nicer in FE

id say, that FE RD is maby a bit to "dry" for someone who never played such games before, it is more repetative than Val, but it was more adictive to me, the "nobody dies" gameplay made me play very carefull (not on easy, that really sucks) and made me plan things much more, than Val ever did, and it was like more rewarding to finish a FE RD level than a Val Level,

sure, after finishing a Val level, I was curious what the next level would be like, but in FE I was mor curios about the story (maby because of its link to the last FE, wich I really appriciated)

I really hope there's going to be a thrind FE, but because the a lot of the Press was unfairly harsh, saying it should have had better grafix, the sales werent soo good (the in game grafix are not important, I dont know what the spoiled press was expecting)

FE RD is the best stratagie RPG out there, and the difficulty makes it so great (besides its great style and Story/Charas), nor FF Taktics nor Val can take its #1 place