By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Fire Emblem: RD Vs Valkyria Chronicles

naznatips said:

I am a huge FE fan and played almost every game in the series, including some imports (though not to completion). I think it's a great and extremely difficult SRPG, but it's very by-the-books and I can't help but feel like I'm replaying the same game with a different plot (which is rarely good). I will never ever pick it over the Valkyria Chronicles series again assuming VC2 on the PSP turns out as good as the first. I've moved on.

@ Khuutra neither of those statements is provable because both are opinion statements. Baaaaka. 

Yes, that's exactly what i'm talking about though.

I've played a lot of the Fire Emblems too... that's WHY you like VC better.  You've played the Fire Emblem games so much.  While VC is still relativly new.

Though if they do use all their actions on hard, i'll have to play that... since on Normal the game was a breeze unless i limited myself to using each unit once per turn... and even then it was still pretty easy.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
I enjoy FE games, but I found Valkyria superior in every way except difficulty...

I agree. As much as I love FE:RD, I really, really love Valkyria Chroncles.

Mmm... i've yet to played that fire emblem game, but i gotta say VC's is one of the best and original games ever devised in a long while.

Kasz216 said:
naznatips said:

I am a huge FE fan and played almost every game in the series, including some imports (though not to completion). I think it's a great and extremely difficult SRPG, but it's very by-the-books and I can't help but feel like I'm replaying the same game with a different plot (which is rarely good). I will never ever pick it over the Valkyria Chronicles series again assuming VC2 on the PSP turns out as good as the first. I've moved on.

@ Khuutra neither of those statements is provable because both are opinion statements. Baaaaka. 

I've played a lot of the Fire Emblems too... that's WHY you like VC better.  You've played the Fire Emblem games so much.  While VC is still relativly new.

Though if they do use all their actions on hard, i'll have to play that... since on Normal the game was a breeze unless i limited myself to using each unit once per turn... and even then it was still pretty easy.

Well I thought hard on VC was harder than normal on FE, but it could just be because I'm more used to FE's tactics. I'm sure you're right that a lot of it has to do with me playing too much Fire Emblem, but Fire Emblem itself never really deviated from the basics of the genre in the first place.

Regardless I admitted that overall VC was too easy, and I definitely hope you can make it harder in the future. Still in every other facet I prefer it greatly to Fire Emblem. 

Fire emblem ,in my opinion, is better. I could not really get into Valkyria Chronicles. Not my cup of tea.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

I wont say which one is better, but I feel the conversation has gone too much on which one is harder and such. No one has mentioned anything about graphics or music, and I have only heard some really small things about which story(or way of telling it) is better.

naznatips said:
Kasz216 said:
naznatips said:

Well I thought hard on VC was harder than normal on FE, but it could just be because I'm more used to FE's tactics. I'm sure you're right that a lot of it has to do with me playing too much Fire Emblem, but Fire Emblem itself never really deviated from the basics of the genre in the first place.

Regardless I admitted that overall VC was too easy, and I definitely hope you can make it harder in the future. Still in every other facet I prefer it greatly to Fire Emblem. 

Fair enough, I felt the same way at first, however it's many flaws got to me. (Luckily some to be fixed on PS2.)

Which I won't list cause i still rate the game above average for a SRPG.  I'd put it over NIS games... but it has a lot of issues.

Say what you want about the Fire Emblem system but it's set up perfectly for what it is.

pastro243 said:
I wont say which one is better, but I feel the conversation has gone too much on which one is harder and such. No one has mentioned anything about graphics or music, and I have only heard some really small things about which story(or way of telling it) is better.

I'd go Graphics VC.  Music FE in that regard.

Story wise, can't really say.

I think I liked the VC story more... but...

VC can't decide on if it's demonizing the entire enemy nation or going with the "It's just a few who are evil" way.  Enemy troops are sometimes presented in a human light... and other times they're gunning down women and children on your order.

It's not done in a "some people are good some aren't way" either... it's just done poorly.  All the dicks are somehow with other dicks, and all the "nice guys" are with other "nice guy" units.

It feels like they just threw in some scenes to fit better with stereotypes of the way such things should be written.

Pristine20 said:
As much as I loved FE:RD, I have to say that VC is the better game primarily because of one area: PACING. FE:RD was my 1st FE game and I found the pacing to be horrid. I played on normal on my first runthrough and found the Micaiah chapters to be a nightmare.

However, upon getting to the Ike chapters, it was like wtf? It felt like the difficulty level just dropped. FE:RD is still an awesome game but it could definitely have turned lots of newcomers off. I just happen to have high tolerance for those sorts of games.

I could also just be biased in favor of VC because it's actually my 1st SRPG and if I didn't play it. I'd never have tried FE in the 1st place. Like you, I'm waiting for console follow-ups to both games because I despise handheld gaming.

You are right about that. But we can't argue that it was meant to be that way. The goal was coherence within the story. The Dawn Brigade are just rookies, though they may be on par with the rest of the characters at the end of the game, depending on the player choices. They have to face harder challenges allong the way.

I am sure that "dificulty level drop", to which you refer is just a psichological impression. I don't see how the game becomes easier along the way. That is not true. It just seems to do it. You are right that this has to do with the fact that the game is completely intended to those who love the genre and might have played the earlier version. FE:RD happened to be the first FE I ever played, just like you. And though it was kind of harsh, I could perfectly deal with the story and I got immediately the idea that the diferences I noticed withichapter 1 and 2 had to do with the story. Nevertheless, I don't argue the fact that the "pacing" was out of the ordinary, at least.

pastro243 said:

Story:

This is very subjective, indeed, but I think, regarless what other might say, that FE story is extremely good. I am fond of History and Politics and it wasn't hard to link its story with serious things I read at University or historical novels. The way story unfolds, the diferent alliances hold within each phase of the game, migration and discrimination issues, everything is sharply included. Valkyria's story is more children friendly, though it manages to touch the same issues but in a more naive way.

Graphics:

FE's are just correct and maybe kind of out dated, though the FMV are gorgeous, really. VC's are fresh and well stylised. Some minor things could have been better (like the grass, by instance) but they are beautiful and unique all around.

Music:

Both are very repetitive but correct. The galdrs in FE are angelical. It's a pity Rosie's song wasn't better.

Gameplay:

Both are superb, they really are, but for diferent reasons. FE is Nintendo, simple and clean. VC is innovative and fun (Sega?).