By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will 1080P actully be used!?

Dr.Grass said:
coolestguyever said:
It is in a lot of games, unfortunately the framerate suffers in turn.

So probably not worth it then. GOW III will hopefully change that... God I'm hyped.

oh yeah man GOW3 is going to dominate!!!

Around the Network
raygun said:

Firstly, 1280x1080 and 1920x1080 are both...1080! The 1080 refers to the vertical rez, so games that use 1280 ARE 1080p games. Also, film can always be 'ported' to 1080 blu-ray, film has a HIGHER REZ THAN 1080. Also also, Wipeout is 1080, with a variable horizontal rez all the way to 1920. In fact i've never noticed a change while playing it, maybe when you fire quakes? Here's a screen shot from within the game, check the pics properties, it's 1920x1080. (you can't see the whole pic in vzcharts, at least on my pc, open image to see the whole pic!) I also have StardustHD which is 1080. Killzone2 was supposed to have a 1080i option, but I believe they took it out at the last minute.

1080p is a well documented standard which refers to a resolution of 1920x1080 that is not interlaced ... There is a wide variety of resolutions that have a verticle resolution of 1080 but only 1920x1080 is refered to as 1080p.

Now, strictly speaking film doesn't have a "resolution" in the sense that a digital image has a resolution and there is heavy disagreement (even professionally) about how film and digital images are related in quality. When you start talking about older movies, especially older movies that were filmed on lower quality film or using a smaller film format (8mm for example), the graininess of the film actually starts becoming apparent as you put it onto DVD and can be quite overpowering at higher resolutions. Unlike digital formats though, film still captures smaller details even though it is grainy and with a lot of effort to re-master the images to remove negative artefacts and produce clean and clear images at high resolutions. The reason I bring this up is the example of older musical documentaries would mostly have been filmed on 8mm cameras using cheap film (because of how low budget they have been) and unless the band was The Beatles there really won't be much of a budget to re-master the movie ... Or, to put it more simply, there really is no benefit to having Blu-Ray for the vast majority of these movies.

I saw District 9 in 1080p and it looks better than 1080i, I don't think most will notice it though. One thing is the sound was different. Well the whole movie was "Blur Blurg Blaeh" aliens and "I did nat fook dos creature, fook wes got to gos on spaceship ship".

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

1080p? Why back in my day, we set a log on fire and poked it with another miniature log. You kids have it too good!

I still think maybe people are a little too quick to blame devs.

1920 x 1080 is a lot of pixels (too put it simply). How many people were playing PC games at that resolution 3 years ago when the PS3 launched? Maybe those with the best of the best hardware.

So you can have a 3 year old looking game running at 1080p now, or would you like a 2009 looking game running at 720p? Programmers aren't miracle workers. If the fillrate isn't there, it isn't there.

Also, it doesn't seem fair to compare a game like Uncharted or Killzone to a fighting game. Fighting games have locked in resources. 2 fighters and an arena. Probably zero visibility testing, streaming etc.

Around the Network

I doubt any game beyond fighting games or PSN games will actually be 1080p.

There are some games that will say they're 1080p, but I'm sure the pixel counters will show they're actually 840p or some number like that.

twesterm said:

There are some games that will say they're 1080p, but I'm sure the pixel counters will show they're actually 840p or some number like that.

true story.

1080p will be a Xbox 3 / PS4 thing (maybe even Wii HD but I have my doubts)

And two things need to be mentioned.

1. higher resolution =/= better graphics
  2. stable framerate with 720p > 1080p with framerate issues

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

HappySqurriel said:

Or, to put it more simply, there really is no benefit to having Blu-Ray for the vast majority of these movies.

Yep, this is the reason I debated the point above with Netyaroze, even though I was wrong.

DirtyP2002 said:
twesterm said:

true story.

1080p will be a Xbox 3 / PS4 thing (maybe even Wii HD but I have my doubts)

And two things need to be mentioned.

1. higher resolution =/= better graphics
  2. stable framerate with 720p > 1080p with framerate issues

Yes, people are too obsessed with a number.  Other things are important such as how good the game looks artistically and framerate.  A slightly unstable framerate will ruin a game for me.