By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will 1080P actully be used!?

Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

Blurays are always 1080p because if they arent they dont fit in th Bluray standard and the nname Bluray cant be used anymore. I never saw a Bluray without 1080p.

Bluray has to be 1080p if not then there would be atleast 1000 people i n the USA try to earn some money and sue Sony and all the other Bluray Companys because they were betrayed. bluray is always 1080p if not its not an original bluray.

Ever seen your favourite band's rock show from the 90's available in BluRay? Well, many of those vids were captured with cameras that simply couldn't record resolutions of 1080P. So the old images are then upscaled to 1080P, even though they're not 1080P native. That's what I mean. IMO it might be called 1080P,but it sure as hell doesn't look like BBC Earth does, not even close...

I know what you mean but I have to disappoint you. Old movie roles have an even higher native resolution then 1080p. it has various reasons why they dont look as good as new movies, for example the lenses and cameratechnology has to be there to capture all details. Super 8 cameras from the 80s and 90s have higher resolution then a new Hidef camcorder: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4258801.htm

You can scan those pictures even with quad HD or more.

The quality differences have different reasons.

Here a link to show you that the old movie roles can do 1080p with ease: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4258801.html

Around the Network

Maybe next gen. But most games can barely run with a solid frame-rate on 720p, and i dont know of a single game that locks 60fps on 720p, much less 1080p. im sure theres a couple though...

GreyianStorm said:
Netyaroze said:

Blurays are always 1080p because if they arent they dont fit in th Bluray standard and the nname Bluray cant be used anymore. I never saw a Bluray without 1080p.

Bluray has to be 1080p if not then there would be atleast 1000 people i n the USA try to earn some money and sue Sony and all the other Bluray Companys because they were betrayed. bluray is always 1080p if not its not an original bluray.

I'm sorry, but there is only one response to this: lolwut?

Yes you are right I mixed it up a little Blurays have to have the ability to display 1080p but the most movies really show Full HD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

"Much of that is the fault of the developers, not the PS3 or the 360." Oh no doubt, but if the average developer can barely do 720p, the jump to 1080 will be that much more difficult. Theres no doubt in my mind that in maybe a year or two, some internal developer at Sony will pump out a solid 1080p title, but the 360 is where its at. Its supposed to be VERY easy to develop for, so i dont think theres any untapped method left in it.

Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

Ever seen your favourite band's rock show from the 90's available in BluRay? Well, many of those vids were captured with cameras that simply couldn't record resolutions of 1080P. So the old images are then upscaled to 1080P, even though they're not 1080P native. That's what I mean. IMO it might be called 1080P,but it sure as hell doesn't look like BBC Earth does, not even close...

I know what you mean but I have to disappoint you. Old movie roles have an even higher native resolution then 1080p. it has various reasons why they dont look as good as new movies, for example the lenses and cameratechnology has to be there to capture all details. Super 8 cameras from the 80s and 90s have higher resolution then a new Hidef camcorder: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4258801.htm

Here a link to show you that the old movie roles can do 1080p with ease: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how_to/4258801.html

Despite your confidence and your link I still don't buy it at all. I need a quote from someone respectable saying that Back to the Future was shot at higher res than Avatar before I believe you.

No ways man.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

Despite your confidence and your link I still don't buy it at all. I need a quote from someone respectable saying that Back to the Future was shot at higher res than Avatar before I believe you.

No ways man.

Ok I did some research.

You seem to be correct technically. A 35mm shot can most certainly produce enough pixels to display 1080P, and can even go way beyond that. The problem is that the pixel quality is VERY low usually, which results in crappy looking pictures.

So the point I made that you quoted me on was wrong.

I could argue my own case further,but I'll leave it there.

Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

No ways man.

Both movies use the same camera role but Avatar has studio equipment which is lightyears ahead. It has nothing to do with the roles. It has more to do with the whole technology.
Years ago you were not able to display 1080p on your tv they could have done it. The resolution is no guarantee for a good picture its the informations you save on the disc. The informations can be there if you have a good camera. I can give you more links if you want maybe you will buy it then: Infact the equipment which they used to shot the film is the point. They shoted all the time in Highdef in every decade its nothing new. But the cameras were different because the viewer could not play highdef so there was no reason to make the cameras more precise:
Here is a service which transfers your old super 8 movies into full hd. For 20 cent per foot.
http://www.slidescanning.com/convert-home-movie-film-to-blu-ray.htm http://club.myce.com/f149/old-movies-high-def-185935/
http://club.myce.com/f142/old-movies-hd-quality-231393/ (quote from the last link evidently a 35mm shot has enough resolution for HD)
Another quote:
"Yes, programs on 35mm film will resolve at least 4K resolution, which is 4096 pixels by 3112 pixels.... this is quite a bit greater than HD at 1920 by 1080. In fact, many older movies were shot with fine grain 50 speed film which resolves more definition than modern movies which generally use 500 speed to allow for lower light situations. If you've ever watched older movies and wondered why it looks like bright light is shining in the actors' faces, it's because it takes a LOT of light to expose 50 speed film inside on a sound stage! "
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41899 "So any movie shot on 35mm can, in theory, look better on Blu-ray than on DVD, no matter how old it is."
You can clearly see that the old movies on bluray still look much better then just on upscaled DVD its because there is actually more information per picture then on non HD movies. But ofcourse the newer ones will look better since the wwhole studio equip evolved. I can give you atleast dotzends of links from different sources it is like this 100%. its a fact if you know a cutter he can explain it to you. The whole thing is difficile why some movies look better then others and why the old movies look worse then the new. its the whole technology cameras/studioequip/computers. To make an old movie as good looking as a new one would cost millions but its not worth it they do just the cheap stuff with it. Believe it its true.

Buy the same movie on DVD and buy the movie on bluray. And then wath both you will recognize which movie looks better. And ask you why. The bluray movie offers a higher density of information. A bluray movie looks better then a upscaled 10000x20000 movie. its not the resolution which makes movies look good its the density of informations.

Dr.Grass said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

No ways man.

Ok I did some research.

You seem to be correct technically. A 35mm shot can most certainly produce enough pixels to display 1080P, and can even go way beyond that. The problem is that the pixel quality is VERY low usually, which results in crappy looking pictures.

Sorry I read it to late. But you have right I see it the same way like you. Its fact the old movies dont look as good as the newer. Its just the statement wasnt perfectly right.

Firstly, 1280x1080 and 1920x1080 are both...1080! The 1080 refers to the vertical rez, so games that use 1280 ARE 1080p games. Also, film can always be 'ported' to 1080 blu-ray, film has a HIGHER REZ THAN 1080. Also also, Wipeout is 1080, with a variable horizontal rez all the way to 1920. In fact i've never noticed a change while playing it, maybe when you fire quakes? Here's a screen shot from within the game, check the pics properties, it's 1920x1080. (you can't see the whole pic in vzcharts, at least on my pc, open image to see the whole pic!) I also have StardustHD which is 1080. Killzone2 was supposed to have a 1080i option, but I believe they took it out at the last minute.

Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:
Dr.Grass said:
Netyaroze said:

No ways man.

Ok I did some research.

Sorry I read it to late. But you have right I see it the same way like you. Its fact the old movies dont look as good as the newer. Its just the statement wasnt perfectly right.

It was nice to have a friendly argument for once. I don't mind being wrong if it's something that's as counter intuitive as this. I had to read through a lot of crap until it became clear. tx for the info.