By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will 1080P actully be used!?

I recently got a PS3 and a Full HD TV (42" of 200Hz goodness!), and I was really surprised that,

Killzone2, Uncharted2 and MGS4 (yes I got all three!) are all in 720P.

I thought 1080P was being supported this gen!? Any games that will be in 1080P, or is the PS3 not powerful enough? There's so much hype surrounding Full HD, but shockingly I've got arguably the 3 best looking games on console and none of them support it.

Maybe HD Ready would've been the smarter choice economically.

Opinions?

EDIT: Title should read *actually*. I hate spelling errors, but the internet is slow here in dark Africa and I type fast,so typos happen.

Around the Network

Some PSN game use it. Gran Turismo 5 will use it. God of War III will use it.

Would be nice if Killzone 3 had 1080p.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:

Good thing that I'm getting both of those then... Will a 1080P game necessarily look better than 720P?

Ninja Gaiden Sigma used it...

GOW III will use it

Heard that "The Last Guardian" will use it too

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

* goes thru entire gaming collect* some games can be outputted in 1080p like modern warfare 2 but there not true 1080 because there just being up resed.

Around the Network
Dr.Grass said:
huaxiong90 said:

Good thing that I'm getting both of those then... Will a 1080P game necessarily look better than 720P?

Since your TV supports up to 1080p, then it must.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

PS3 and 360 don't have enough power to support native 1080p in all games... It depends on the nature of the game and the dev's skills...

Dr.Grass said:
huaxiong90 said:

It depends. 1080p has the potential to be better than 720p, but the graphics have to be better than 720p can handle for that to be the case. I'd expect GT5 to look better than anything else to date. 1080p graphics should certainly be crisper, but "looking better" is more of a subjective term (do you like the style etc).

Also, I think WipeOut HD might possibly be 1080p, but I am not sure.

Here's a list of 1080p native games on PS3: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3605691

GreyianStorm said:
Dr.Grass said:
huaxiong90 said:

It depends. 1080p has the potential to be better than 720p, but the graphics have to be better than 720p can handle for that to be the case. I'd expect GT5 to look better than anything else to date. 1080p graphics should certainly be crisper, but "looking better" is more of a subjective term (do you like the style etc).

Also, I think WipeOut HD might possibly be 1080p, but I am not sure.

Here's a list of 1080p native games on PS3: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3605691

Thanks.

@Bolded part: Yeah of course, I mean, Metroid Prime on the Gamecube seriously looks better to me than many native 720P games on PS3 due to the incredible art direction.

Dr.Grass said:
huaxiong90 said:

Yes, goodluck with the frame rate. You just mentioned that problem in another thread infact.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=96334&page=1&str=2111037651#

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.