By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Hardcore games easiest to sell

libellule said:

Microsoft: Hardcore games easiest to sell

LOL, it is not hardcore, it is shooter that are easiest to sell !!!

you have already forgotten all the low performance JRPG or even the average FM3 (sales perspective)

Last time I checked the 360 had the most JRPG's. To have Timed exclusives Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and exclusives like Lost Odyssey Blue Dragon and more on the 360 helped Microsoft big time in Japan so don't sell them short. The 360 will get more. Microsoft hasn't given up on Japan yet (sadly).

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Reasonable said:
I suspect for MS that's true. Their challenge with Natal is they are out of their safe spot. MS has done a good job of taking a very PC centric culture around FPS, online, community and stat tracking and moving it to a console as well as adding strong, traditional titles.

Now though, they are trying to get an audience that previously only Nintendo and Sony have shown any ability to sell to in a big way, and that is no mean feat. Natal is a good tool, but just having Natal won't get them anywhere without the right games, marketing, PR and approach.

When Natal hits, when the Wand hits, it's going to get interesting, that's for sure.

Sony has been in the same boat with Microsoft for two generations. If casuals bought casual titles on the PS2 they were really taking what they could get with a cheaper system. I got more social activity out of the Gamecube with friends than I did the PS2 unless we were playing fighters, racers or sports. The Original Xbox gave us multiplayer shooters, racers and more. I do agree though, when Natal and the Wand hit it's going to get interesting. I just hate that Sony had to make another product that was just too close to Nintendo. Aside from that it has more promise than the Wii mote for the things you can do with it and over it will most likely be a cheaper peripheral compared to Natal.

I have to disagree a bit on PS2.  It sold over 100M.  I appreciate you might have found more on the Gamecube but you were in a minority.  The PS2 was the console to buy if you were going to casually buy a console, play with a few mates, etc.  Like the Wii today (but without Nintendo clear focus on casual titles) the PS2 was there in the living room and kids, teens and parents would play it casually or sometimes for the hardcore.  Last gen the PS2 was the only console clearly sitting in both hardcore / casual environments.

As I said, only Nintendo and Sony have shown true ability to achieve those huge console sales and casual acceptance.  This gen I agree Sony somehow lost the plot in this area, ending up competiting heavily with MS with AAA hardcore titles while Nintendo has been left completely unchallenged to hoover up everything else.

I'm not saying MS can't do this, don't get me wrong on that.  But clearly they are the new kid on the block in this area, and it will be truly interesting to see how they make out.

I'm also interested that, for the first time really, when all three consoles have motion controls we have the prospect of multi-platform titles using motion control across all three consoles - that will be something I will be curious to see, partly because it means PS3/360 might finally get the critical mass of more casual titles they are sorely missing today, and partly because it might see even more 3rd party developers put games on the Wii because they can spread the risk over the PS3/360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Cheebee said:
Omg casual games don't sell, Wii is d00med!!1

Seriously, I think Wii Sports, Wii Play, Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus and a few others would beg to differ. There's a difference between casual games and casual shovelware.

Microsoft never said casual games dont sell. They said its easier for them to sell hardcore games than casual titles. They are hoping Natal changes all that.

Cheebee said:
Omg casual games don't sell, Wii is d00med!!1

Seriously, I think Wii Sports, Wii Play, Sports Resort, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus and a few others would beg to differ. There's a difference between casual games and casual shovelware.

But those are hardcore games.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:

you have already forgotten all the low performance JRPG or even the average FM3 (sales perspective)

Last time I checked the 360 had the most JRPG's. To have Timed exclusives Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and exclusives like Lost Odyssey Blue Dragon and more on the 360 helped Microsoft big time in Japan so don't sell them short. The 360 will get more. Microsoft hasn't given up on Japan yet (sadly).

lol, you are talking about game that tpyically DO NOT sell well proving me I m right

despite all their effort on the JRPG, they have failed to sell them well (WW) and they didnt succeed to push the 360 over the PS3 (in Jp)
(I still admit that 360 is selling better than xbox1)

Also, despite all their effort , Sony is not able to sell that well U2 / KZ2 / R2 compared to Gears/Halo/CoD

WHY ?

360 = shooter lover (NA say "hi !")
PS3 = a bit more mixed crowed (just check GTA/SF/AS sales in PS3-360 and compare them to the ratio of userbase)

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Xoj said:

not true, considerating the games have to be Quality,

quality sells for itself.

of course it require alot of work from part of the developers.

microsoft see it from the part of the publisher, they do nothing of the hard work, just hype and market it.

what they are saying they dont know how to market casual games.

I partially disagree with you specifically on "not true, considerating the games have to be Quality." Case in point is called ODST. All they had to do was put "Halo" in the front and BAM 60$ expansion that all the fans ate up without question. Same case with Wii, they can come out with a mediocre Mario or Zelda game, but to those fans, it's the second coming.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:

More doesn't mean better.  And luckily the Japanese market knows a money hungry company when they see one. ME is perhaps the only rpg'ish "good" (not in my opinion but I go by popular belief and sales on this one),  but then again, ME is just another shooter with rpg elements (granted a potentially good story if continued to do right).

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

demonfox13 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:

More doesn't mean better.  And luckily the Japanese market knows a money hungry company when they see one. ME is perhaps the only rpg'ish "good" (not in my opinion but I go by popular belief and sales on this one),  but then again, ME is just another shooter with rpg elements (granted a potentially good story if continued to do right).

so the one that stay is ...... Fable

Time to Work !

It's definitely harder for MS to sell to casuals, they have a hardcore audience and their strategy to open up to the more casual market continues with Natal.

libellule said:
demonfox13 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
libellule said:

so the one that stay is ...... Fable

Fable 1 was good, 2....was ...ok...i'll leave it at that.