By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Hardcore games easiest to sell

*removed double post*

Around the Network
hYpnochronic said:
Lastgengamer said:

"It's a continuation of a strategy we've been articulating for a long time..."

I believe some of the things are accurate, such as core gamers not needing advertising and such.  But this first sentence is kinda laughable, isn't it?  The casual focus is unquestionably a new development.  To say "We've planned this all along.  It has been our strategy since day one" is completely ridiculous.  I really, really hate "PR Speak" or whatever you call it.  It makes me cringe and makes me angry at the same time.  It just comes across as despicable.  I say this with all companies in mind, not just MS. 

I have to agree. I don't particularly like the PR of any of the console manufacturers. Its all spin...

not true, considerating the games have to be Quality,

quality sells for itself.

of course it require alot of work from part of the developers.

microsoft see it from the part of the publisher, they do nothing of the hard work, just hype and market it.

what they are saying they dont know how to market casual games.

Yeah and hardcore games are the best quality.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Aion said:
Yeah and hardcore games are the best quality.

Like Rogue Warrior.

Around the Network

Only FPS, RTS and MMORPGs are considered hard core game genres.
Most other game genres are casual games which appeal to a wider audience.

PC gaming = hard core gamer.
Console gaming = casual gamer.

cliffhanger said:
I can agree with what he's saying. The hardcore go looking for games themselves and hype them way ahead of time, so you don't really need all that much marketing. All you need to do is announce a game and it will sell. For the casual, they buy what they hear about whether it be commercials or through word of mouth, etc. They don't go looking for games themselves, so you actually have to put more effort into selling your game. The wii was so successful because it was just everywhere, from oprah to ellen and loads of word of mouth. I wonder if Natal will be as successful. Only time will tell.

considering like 99% of games on the 360 are hardcore what looking do they need to do?

hype alone does not sell the game Wii is a proof of that. The hype is only internet people. The normal shopper which accounts for a big percentage who goes to a 360 section sees only hardcore games and  is almost guranteed to buy a hardcore game.

The normal shopper goes to a Wii section and sees well casual shit and they are guranteed to buy casual shit.

Microsoft: "We've got the 'core' market in our pocket, so we don't need to worry about them. They'll buy our games regardless, because we're the market leader and have the best hardware. Now we just need to focus on the 'casual' market. By 'broadening our audience' and leading in 'innovation'. Oh, but don't think We're copying Nintendo, cuz Natal targets the core too!"

Yeah okay Microsoft.... You can't point fingers at Nintendo, and then use all their marketing tools and ideas and claim you're targeting the 'core' at the same time.

numonex said:
Only FPS, RTS and MMORPGs are considered hard core game genres.
Most other game genres are casual games which appeal to a wider audience.

PC gaming = hard core gamer.
Console gaming = casual gamer.

Actually, there's a large amount of people who would consider games like Halo and World of Warcraft to be 'casual' games.  But its all how you look at it.  Basically though, those games did open up those perticular genres (FPS and MMORPG) to a host of new players who aren't thoe 'core' players.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Well some "hardcore" games sure do get alot of advertising on TV.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Cobretti2 said:
cliffhanger said:
I can agree with what he's saying. The hardcore go looking for games themselves and hype them way ahead of time, so you don't really need all that much marketing. All you need to do is announce a game and it will sell. For the casual, they buy what they hear about whether it be commercials or through word of mouth, etc. They don't go looking for games themselves, so you actually have to put more effort into selling your game. The wii was so successful because it was just everywhere, from oprah to ellen and loads of word of mouth. I wonder if Natal will be as successful. Only time will tell.

considering like 99% of games on the 360 are hardcore what looking do they need to do?

hype alone does not sell the game Wii is a proof of that. The hype is only internet people. The normal shopper which accounts for a big percentage who goes to a 360 section sees only hardcore games and  is almost guranteed to buy a hardcore game.

The normal shopper goes to a Wii section and sees well casual shit and they are guranteed to buy casual shit.

You think a big percentage of "normal" shoppers are going to the 360 section? Uh uh, I don't think so. The majority of "normal" shoppers will go to the wii section. "Hardcore gamers"= Internet people. You said it yourself, 99% of 360 is hardcore.

I meant that hardcore players go on the internet looking for the games they want.