By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Hardcore games easiest to sell

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-hardcore-games-easiest-to-sell

Microsoft has said that games aimed at the hardcore consumer are much easier to sell than those intended for a more casual and social player.

The company believes that next year's release of motion device Project Natal will appeal to both audiences, but the core titles for Natal will help it quickly find an audience while Microsoft markets to the more fickle casual consumer.

"The core are going to buy the games, we don't have to focus on marketing those - well, we do, but those games in a lot of ways will sell themselves because they're such immersive and intense experiences that the core is going to buy, and buy disproportionally for the Xbox," spokesperson David Dennis told GamesIndustry.biz.

"It's a continuation of a strategy we've been articulating for a long time, which is that we have a powerful piece of hardware that enables a lot of different experiences," he added. "Let's start with the core users to really get their attention and get them invested and committed to us as a platform. Then as we look to broaden to new audiences, we have the hardware capacity and technology innovation to continue to evolve the experience, whether that's by bringing things like Facebook, Netflix and Twitter to give people more reasons to turn the console on, or with Natal in the future, with a more social, casual and interactive controller-free gaming experience that something like Natal brings."

His comments are similar to EEDAR's Jesse Divnich, who said in a recent interview that the hardcore gamer is the most reliable consumer in the games business, and that new casual audiences are a much tougher market to capture.

"Obviously you don't talk to those types of customers the same way, but we've been talking about games beyond the core and really bringing people in," revealed Dennis. "Last year we had TV creatives running over the holidays that was really focused on Netflix and Rock Band and different non-core gaming experiences. But I think as we look to Natal and the types of experiences it's going to enable, there's going to be both what some might call core experiences as well as casual game experiences that are easy to jump in and play, that are going to do great for Natal."

Microsoft is confident that its forthcoming Natal games can hold their own at retail, and become top ten hits in a field recently dominated by massive franchises such as Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden and Assassin's Creed.

"I think if you look at experiences in other platforms that are doing well, they're not all necessarily core experiences. Wii Fit was number seven [in November]. So there are certainly a lot of upsides for experiences if they're done right that go beyond the core but still capture the imagination of the core.

"I don't think Wii Fit does that, but there are certainly opportunities to do that. It's about redefining who your customer segmentation is, and really looking at who the customers are that you have and how to have a frequent relationship with them, but also looking to new audiences. I think you can do both without alienating either," said Dennis.

Around the Network

Who believes Microsoft is right about this? I personally think they have point because core games usually receive a lot of hype. that is why I suppose core games are more front loaded then casual games are.

Sorry for not say it in english, but I don't know how to say this in that language:

Los supuestos "hardcore" solo necesitan disparos y sangre para estar satisfechos. Están HUECOS.

Sorry for not say it in english, but I don't know how to say this in that language:

Los supuestos "hardcore" solo necesitan disparos y sangre para estar satisfechos. Están HUECOS.

So, hardcore = casual
casual = niche

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

I like the tone of the executive. It seems hes put a lot of thought behind his opinions. However im not entirely sure if the needs and desires of the core Xbox 360 market match with a broader spectrum of people. I suspect that some of Nintendos words would be relevant here to contrast his, but I fear Nintendo may be losing their grip on reality and becoming isolated by their success.

So time will tell us which perspective is right and comparing him with the latest Sony executive speaking topic I guess time will tell as to which is right.

Umm, I'd think Wii Fit/Sports/Play etc. prove that it's not hard to sell a game to the casuals. You need the right product and the right price. What MS finds hard is actually understanding what their customers want, since they've long had the benefit of telling their customers what they want in the OS business. Basically, they just can't cope in an environment where there's legitimate competition that they can't buy out. They bought or hired out the companies that made their exclusive core games, they spent a lot of money enticing third parties that make those games, but they can't seem to get their hooks into anyone that understands casuals. It's MS failure, not the market's. If tens of millions will pay $100 to stand on a scale while pretending to juggle, it can't be that hard to crack the casual market.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I can agree with what he's saying. The hardcore go looking for games themselves and hype them way ahead of time, so you don't really need all that much marketing. All you need to do is announce a game and it will sell. For the casual, they buy what they hear about whether it be commercials or through word of mouth, etc. They don't go looking for games themselves, so you actually have to put more effort into selling your game. The wii was so successful because it was just everywhere, from oprah to ellen and loads of word of mouth. I wonder if Natal will be as successful. Only time will tell.

ramonecaxa said:

It means ..

"The so called "hard core" only need bullets and blood to be satisfied. They are simple."

Lastgengamer said:

"It's a continuation of a strategy we've been articulating for a long time..."

I believe some of the things are accurate, such as core gamers not needing advertising and such.  But this first sentence is kinda laughable, isn't it?  The casual focus is unquestionably a new development.  To say "We've planned this all along.  It has been our strategy since day one" is completely ridiculous.  I really, really hate "PR Speak" or whatever you call it.  It makes me cringe and makes me angry at the same time.  It just comes across as despicable.  I say this with all companies in mind, not just MS.