By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is MS gonna include multiplayer in Silver accounts?

mrstickball said:
Microsoft is making hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter. Sony is losing millions every quarter.

Why would Microsoft try to play their game?

what does that have to do with the subject anyway?

isn't all the more reason for MS to better their services....and *ahem* their hardware because they have so much more money than sony?

End of 2010 Predictions (Original Prediction Made: Jan. 1, 2010---Revised April 1, 2010---Revised Again July 1, 2010---Revised Again on Nov. 1, 2010)

PS3: 46 MIL (April Revision: 44 MIL, July Revision 43 MIL, Nov. Revision 45MIL)

360: 44 MIL (April Revision: 46 MIL, July Revision: 48 MIL, Nov. Revision 49MIL)

WII: 82 MIL (Apr. Revision: 84 MIL, Jul. Revision: 82 MIL, Nov. Revision: 82MIL)

THE MUST BUY LIST of 2010: Gran Turismo 5

THE BOUGHT LIST of 2010: White Knight Chrnociles, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy 13, God of War 3, Modnation Racers, Sports Champions

Around the Network
Dexorosorous said:
mrstickball said:
Microsoft is making hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter. Sony is losing millions every quarter.

Why would Microsoft try to play their game?

what does that have to do with the subject anyway?

isn't all the more reason for MS to better their services....and *ahem* their hardware because they have so much more money than sony?

If your interested in the articles, you would know that the relability of the hardware is much better than you would like to admit.

My point was that Live is a huge moneymaker for Microsoft. With ~10 million gold subscribers, Microsoft is generating tens of millions of dollars a month that Sony and Nintendo are not. If Microsoft removes these fees, then Microsoft will loose a key pillar that makes them profitable. Each company has their key to making their divisons profitable. Nintendo has profitable hardware that they make a lot of money on (plus a lot of in-house software development that sells very well), Microsoft has Live, and Sony has......The PSPGo.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Tallgeese101 said:
They have 10m willing to pay for a service that is traditionally free and free on the competitions machines.
Why rock that boat?

I think last I heard there were like 22-24 million "active" Xbox Live memberships and there was like 60% gold, I think.  So, its probably a bit more than 10 million Gold members, and by the end of the Christmas season it will probably be nearing 14-15 million Gold subscribers.

Gold is a very good deal for all the services it brings to one place.  It's like a cable set top box, a radio, a game show, streaming video/audio service, a social network, a Ventrilo server for everyone (up to 8 party chat for free), a multiplayer matchmaking service, and more!

Is there a source out there for the active gold subscriptions you guys mention? I've heard numbers thrown around but nothing solid.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Alby_da_Wolf said:
daroamer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I perfectly know how many cows MS happily milks with Gold, but as Greenberg said they'll increase value for money AND they'll keep XB360 $100 cheaper, and paying an additional $50/yr fee what others offer for free would deny both points, I won't question his word, particularly as he'll have to keep it if he want to lift again sales.

Edit @CaptDS93: maybe in USA, but last time I checked, in Europe the best price you can find for Live Gold is full price.

I'm not sure if you're trolling with this or not but you're wrong on both counts:

1 - Increasing value for money means adding features for the same amount of money, it doesn't mean making something that used to cost money free

2 - Being $100 cheaper means being cheaper at retail, it's obvious that's what he's referring to.  All this "well you have to pay for live so it's not REALLY $200" is just fanboy rhetoric.  If you don't want to play online then you don't have to pay for live so what he is saying is absolutely true. 

The two things you're using to try to draw a conclusion are not really related.

1. Giving basic online multi for free is just my suggestion for a sensible way to increase value for money.

2. What he say is true only under a necessary condition (and both in maths and logic you can't omit them in a theorem, if he says a truth we are talking about logic): that the user doesn't want online multi. If users want only the free basic online multi offered by PC and competing consoles, MS force them to pay also extra Gold services to have it, this proves wrong what Greenberg says in every case excluded when the aforementioned necessary condition is satisfied.

So if Greenberg omits the necessary condition we can't say either he tells the truth or false, he's just ambiguous.

OTOH, if we assume that omitting any necessary condition he's simply meaning "for every user", then what he states is false.

"One, we will continue to offer a better value on hardware pricing. We will continue to remain $100 cheaper than PS3."

What he says is true.  Did you not read the first part of the statement?  Better value on HARDWARE pricing.  This means there is no "condition" you are trying to include.  The Xbox 360 will remain $100 cheaper than PS3 in HARDWARE.

One, we will continue to offer a better value on hardware pricing. We will continue to remain $100 cheaper than PS3.

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

Is there a source out there for the active gold subscriptions you guys mention? I've heard numbers thrown around but nothing solid.

As of almost a year ago it was 10 million.  Can't find any more recent numbers, that's why I estimated it was larger by now.  I could have sworn I saw a more recent number saying 22 million total active subscribers and 60% gold, but I can't find that right now.

http://kotaku.com/341399/xbox-live-10-million-gold-subscribers

@OP

You are really taking that assumption to a stretch. Also, I would rather pay for my multiplayer rather than have to settle for what PS3 has.

nightsurge said:
ameratsu said:

As of almost a year ago it was 10 million.  Can't find any more recent numbers, that's why I estimated it was larger by now.  I could have sworn I saw a more recent number saying 22 million total active subscribers and 60% gold, but I can't find that right now.

Well that Kotaku thing was posted on Jan 6, 2008. So those numbers are almost 2 years old.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
nightsurge said:
ameratsu said:

Well that Kotaku thing was posted on Jan 6, 2008. So those numbers are almost 2 years old.

Oh shoot, you're right.  Gosh that's like the 3rd time this week i've made a similar mistake in regards to 2008. 

nightsurge said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
daroamer said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I perfectly know how many cows MS happily milks with Gold, but as Greenberg said they'll increase value for money AND they'll keep XB360 $100 cheaper, and paying an additional $50/yr fee what others offer for free would deny both points, I won't question his word, particularly as he'll have to keep it if he want to lift again sales.

Edit @CaptDS93: maybe in USA, but last time I checked, in Europe the best price you can find for Live Gold is full price.

I'm not sure if you're trolling with this or not but you're wrong on both counts:

1 - Increasing value for money means adding features for the same amount of money, it doesn't mean making something that used to cost money free

2 - Being $100 cheaper means being cheaper at retail, it's obvious that's what he's referring to.  All this "well you have to pay for live so it's not REALLY $200" is just fanboy rhetoric.  If you don't want to play online then you don't have to pay for live so what he is saying is absolutely true. 

The two things you're using to try to draw a conclusion are not really related.

1. Giving basic online multi for free is just my suggestion for a sensible way to increase value for money.

2. What he say is true only under a necessary condition (and both in maths and logic you can't omit them in a theorem, if he says a truth we are talking about logic): that the user doesn't want online multi. If users want only the free basic online multi offered by PC and competing consoles, MS force them to pay also extra Gold services to have it, this proves wrong what Greenberg says in every case excluded when the aforementioned necessary condition is satisfied.

So if Greenberg omits the necessary condition we can't say either he tells the truth or false, he's just ambiguous.

OTOH, if we assume that omitting any necessary condition he's simply meaning "for every user", then what he states is false.

"One, we will continue to offer a better value on hardware pricing. We will continue to remain $100 cheaper than PS3."

What he says is true.  Did you not read the first part of the statement?  Better value on HARDWARE pricing.  This means there is no "condition" you are trying to include.  The Xbox 360 will remain $100 cheaper than PS3 in HARDWARE.

One, we will continue to offer a better value on hardware pricing. We will continue to remain $100 cheaper than PS3.

You deliberately answer quoting only Greenberg's first point, shrinking its context.  If you consider all three of his points, the picture is different, and in point three, that you cleverly overlooked, he clearly talks about online and adding value to it.

nightsurge said:
Tallgeese101 said:
They have 10m willing to pay for a service that is traditionally free and free on the competitions machines.
Why rock that boat?

I think last I heard there were like 22-24 million "active" Xbox Live memberships and there was like 60% gold, I think.  So, its probably a bit more than 10 million Gold members, and by the end of the Christmas season it will probably be nearing 14-15 million Gold subscribers.

Gold is a very good deal for all the services it brings to one place.  It's like a cable set top box, a radio, a game show, streaming video/audio service, a social network, a Ventrilo server for everyone (up to 8 party chat for free), a multiplayer matchmaking service, and more!

Very fine! So if Gold has so many attractive features, puttin only BASIC online multi into Silver too shouldn't hurt it at all.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!