By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA CEO projected PS3 would be biggest, it put EA in a weak position

Sega's downfall started when it tried to out-flank Sony and release the Saturn early to some select retailers. That led to some stores (such as the late lamented KB Toys) deciding to NEVER carry the console. The move also let Sony undercut on the price.

But back to the OP. It has been three years. EA should have been able to make some adjustments in the interim. But while it has tried on the Wii, it has not just tried to bring good games. Instead it puts gimmicks in them. Sometimes they work, often they do not.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

The PS3 got the least amount of support from EA from the get go. What the hell is this guy talking about? They had some cheap ports like the Orange Box and then they have EA published games that are 360 exclusive like Mass Effect and Left4Dead. That may not be EA's decision completely but regardless the PS3 has gotten the least amount of support from EA. I'm wondering what kind of "resources" this guy is referring to.

Funny thing is they just announced a special addition of Dante's Inferno for the PS3 that will be the same price as the 360 but have extra stuff. How does that make sense? They don't give the PS3 extra stuff, then they blame the lack of PS3 success for their own failures, and now after saying putting too many resources into the PS3 was the reason for their failure they decide to finally actually put some sort of extra resources and content for the PS3 fanbase. Seems pretty backwards to me.

BoneyBoy said:
Well, everybody thought the PS3 was going to be number 1.

With limited resources you need to support the system you think will give you the biggest percentage of sales and they went with historical trends and over-supported the ps3.

EA has 7300 employees, more than any games publisher. If they can't provide decent software  support to three platforms then no one can.

So EA first blames nintendo and their wii, and now Sony and their PS3......EA loves playing the blame game

RVDondaPC said:
The PS3 got the least amount of support from EA from the get go. What the hell is this guy talking about? They had some cheap ports like the Orange Box and then they have EA published games that are 360 exclusive like Mass Effect and Left4Dead. That may not be EA's decision completely but regardless the PS3 has gotten the least amount of support from EA. I'm wondering what kind of "resources" this guy is referring to.

Not a single one of those examples were under EA's control; Valve made the call regarding the Orange Box and Left4Dead, while Microsoft published the console version of the original Mass Effect.

Around the Network

The biggest mistake I continue to see companies like EA make is they haven't realized that the success of the Wii demonstrates that their values are out of touch with the values of the consumers ...

While I'm certain there will be some people who disagree with me, I don't really think that most games on the HD consoles would sell much worse if they didn't put all the resources towards pushing the graphical limits of those machines; and a well crafted high quality game that was graphically less technically advanced would easily have a much better return on investment than the approach they’re currently taking.

I'm not (necessarily) arguing that their biggest games should be graphically simple, but it makes far more sense to have two games with lower budgets than many of these big budget lesser known (or new) IPs.

noname2200 said:
RVDondaPC said:

Not a single one of those examples were under EA's control; Valve made the call regarding the Orange Box and Left4Dead, while Microsoft published the console version of the original Mass Effect.

Orange box was ported by EA for the PS3.

and Mass Effect 2 is published by EA.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
heruamon said:
Severance said:
if thats really true then why was most of the early PS3 games ports ?

Errrr...because it take 3-4 years to develop a new IP...

what does new IPs have to do with ports?

Well...the games we saw into 2008 all started before the PS3 launched...since 2008, I think they been working PS3 titles co-produced at the very least. 

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Severance said:
noname2200 said:
RVDondaPC said:

Orange box was ported by EA for the PS3.

and Mass Effect 2 is published by EA.

Orange Box is actually a sign of EA's PS3 commitment.  They pushed hard for it, that's the only reason PS3 even got it.  If it hadn't tanked, maybe they'd have pushed for L4D too.

Also, Mass Effect had exclusivity arrangements already in place with Microsoft.  If EA buys Epic, you won't be seeing Gears 3 on PS3 either... though at the rate they're going, it'll be Epic buying EA more likely. lol

noname2200 said:
RVDondaPC said:

EA's control or not, its resources which are being put forth into the 360 which the PS3 did not receive. I am aware of the situation "That may not be EA's decision completely" but the fact remains that they are blaming allocating too many resources for the PS3 when infact they are showing the least amount of support for the PS3. Had their been PS3 exclusive games and content that didn't sell then I would buy the reasoning, but seeing as there is not, it makes no sense. It also ignores the fact that their games have sold poorly across all platforms and their best selling franchise is infact FIFA which sells the most on the PS3. This guy is passing the buck. He's saying it's their fault, but really not their fault. Have their games even sold well on the Wii?? We all know Dante's inferno is gonna be another EA stinker, but even if they had shifted those resources to the Wii would they have done anything with it?