By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - EA CEO projected PS3 would be biggest, it put EA in a weak position

Severance said:
disolitude said:
EA has helped put Sega out of console business by not supporting the Dreamcast.

Am I to feel bad for them or something?

is everyone blaming everyone else for Sega's own mistakes?

its Sega's mistake to release a console then release a new just after it , and then not support it and not care about piracy issues.

as much as i like Sega,  its Sega the one who got themselves out of the console business not anyone else.

Sega was to blame cause they screwed up royally with the Saturn and before. Bit with the Dreamcast they did a whole lot of right. They just needed someone else to throw them a bone here and there...

They no longer had the funds for R&D to stop piracy. They offered stock options to the group that was cracking their games on to the net for christs sake. The group took it and stopped but someone else continued...

Around the Network
heruamon said:
Severance said:
if thats really true then why was most of the early PS3 games ports ?

Errrr...because it take 3-4 years to develop a new IP...

what does new IPs have to do with ports?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

disolitude said:

SEGA helped EA in reaching that decision.

Xen said:
disolitude said:

Great. Hope they never support Sony again as well moving forward...

disolitude said:
Severance said:
disolitude said:

its Sega's mistake to release a console then release a new just after it , and then not support it and not care about piracy issues.

as much as i like Sega,  its Sega the one who got themselves out of the console business not anyone else.

Sega was to blame cause they screwed up royally with the Saturn and before. Bit with the Dreamcast they did a whole lot of right. They just needed someone else to throw them a bone here and there...

They no longer had the funds for R&D to stop piracy. They offered stock options to the group that was cracking their games on to the net for christs sake. The group took it and stopped but someone else continued...

but why did they suddenly stop supporting the Saturn , all the Third party games that were on that system felt rage towards them

its like as if microsoft announces 50 third party games on 360 for the next year. and then suddenly BAM they release a new console while the third party devs feel shafted.

if you are a third party dev wont you want to just freaking ignore these guys? i know i'd be pissed.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Xen said:
disolitude said:

huh?

Severance said:
disolitude said:
Severance said:
disolitude said:

but why did they suddenly stop supporting the Saturn , all the Third party games that were on that system felt rage towards them

its like as if microsoft announces 50 third party games on 360 for the next year. and then suddenly BAM they release a new console while the third party devs feel shafted.

if you are a third party dev wont you want to just freaking ignore these guys? i know i'd be pissed.

For sure...their management screwed up royaly with the saturn. However the US and EU userbase was so pathetic that there really was very little sales EA lost by them pulling the plug. The Japanese Saturn developers could have been pissed...cause the system was actually moving software and outselling N64 quite a bit.

Dreamcast could have been a fresh start for EA with Sega. They captured a lot of the US market in the first year, and those people eate up the 2K sports series. It was an oportunity lost for both companies...

Severance said:
disolitude said:
Xen said:
disolitude said:

huh?

Well the way their CEO is speaking there seems like Sony is to blame for EA losses. Since they cut off sega due to their losses with the saturn, it would be logical for the crappy publisher to start cutting off the sony resources that are so precious to their revenue statements.

EA are a bunch of wankers if you ask me...

like i said before, you can't blame everyone for SEGA's own fault did really stupid things multiple times (and believe me ALOT of stupid things even more than the ones i mentioned above) no one trusted them anymore. (there is also a site that have all their 25 (or something) mistakes detailed)
i am a Sega fan myself i wished Dreamcast was a success but SEGA the one who pulled the plug.

He's not talking about Sega's faults. EA bailed on them because things weren't going particularly well. They just outrightly stated that they betted on the wrong horse with the PS3, so thereotically they could repeat history but with Sony this time.

I don't think that's actually going to happen, though.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"