By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (11/1)

Actually there are several things to keep in mind about Mario Galaxy :
- Mario Games have huge legs
- Nintendo Games have a high First Day multiplicator
- Japanese become more and more casual, and the Wii and DS owners are more casual than average, they don't seem to want games absolutely on day one, except for FF and DQ
- Japan is definitely in a slow period, game sales will pick up during the month
- Since Christmas is next month, a lot of children may only buy the game for Christmas.
- The Wii's userbase in Japan is still less than 4M.

Still, 130K for the first day is quite disappointing, but these factors may explain it a bit. We'll have to wait a few weeks to really get an idea of Mario Galaxy's sales.
NSMB did 480k first week, but the user base was serveral times bigger, and the release date was better for big first day sales.

Around the Network

That is actually some really good points. Especially about Japan's slow period right now. That is actually something to take into account right now. I think its pretty much becuase Japan had been so high in sales that it had to come down sooner or later and unluckily that happened this summer. Possibly just bad timing for Galaxy here. But I think Japan simply needs a holiday season. And Galaxy will obviously shoot up then.

....But how are we to know for certain that Super Mario Galaxy will have uber-great legs?

What games are we basing this off of? Zelda: TP, SPM and DQ:S all were major core games, and had bad legs.

Something tells me that aside from the holidays, the legs will be standard. Maybe a 2x multiplier on the weekend (275k), and end up around 1m there.

But let me ask this: why are you having to justify the biggest game in Japan in years, on the fastest selling system ever, with an opening day of 130k?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I think we cant judge from first day sales... SMG will have good legs

mrstickball said:
But let me ask this: why are you having to justify the biggest game in Japan in years, on the fastest selling system ever, with an opening day of 130k?

Maybe because the biggest game in Japan in years belongs on a franchise that doesn't sell very well on opening day/week but is know for good legs. 'Nuff said.

Around the Network

japan ... Where consoles sell terrible. Seriously, unless SMG sells amazing over the weekend. That'd be terrible!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

What was Sunshine's first day sales?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

So your saying that when NSMB sold 500k first day, it wasn't that good, since Mario only has good legs, and never good openings?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

339k for sunshine. lifetime sales were 890k.
i don't know about this, i think 3d mario platformers are jut not that popular in japan. we can't judge yet though, its only first day sales. first week and onward are more important.
it would be a HUGE dissapointment if it only did 250k this week, which is much less than sunshine and on a much bigger userbase.

ah well, even if this game doesn't put the wii back ontop over there wii fit sure will next month.

Soriku said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
What was Sunshine's first day sales?

really? thats a quarter of what it sold in the first week. if SMG works the same that means 520k first week for it......i hope.