By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (11/1)

One, How does this compare with first-day sales? Because right now all we get are first-day, and it was thursday at that.

Two, Let's hold the horses for now, we'll compare the first-week sales once it's out. Personally, I can't wait to see what the results will be.

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

takkxyz - Crisis Core sold 350k in its first day, and Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon sold 250k.

Mario Galaxy numbers seems to be pretty low. Normally first week's sales are higher than first day's only by about 20-60%. In "Super Mario Galaxy week one sales in Japan" thread I haven't seen a predicion below 500k but now it looks like MG will struggle do to even a quarter million.

Unless shams is right and most people will buy this game on the weekend. But he didn't convince me. Is it unusual for a Japanese game to be released on Thursday? Is this something that hurts sales by much?

Some of you guys are saying that MG will top best PS3 games lifetime sales in first week.. Maybe it will but for now it only matches first sales of best-selling PS3 games (both Everybody's gold and Dynasty Wariors made around 120-130k first day).

choirsoftheeye said:
takkxyz - Crisis Core sold 350k in its first day, and Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon sold 250k.
Portable games with higher user base, I also wasn't asking a question.

Edit: I was trying to steer the conversation, and I am aware of not always following the trend. 

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

Here's a question: how reliable is our source for this? I'm not trying to slur the poster here, but do we have any retail figures from retailers?

Around the Network

@kamil - I disagree on that point. While I don't think that these sales are near as good as expected for SMG, the pokemon dungeon game for the DS sold about 150% more than it's initial sales during the subsequent week, which leaves Galaxy at about 300k for the first week.

(I think they're comparable games in terms of target audience, at least in Japan)

takkxyz said:
choirsoftheeye said:

Edit: I was trying to steer the conversation, and I am aware of not always following the trend.

I think they are comparable, though.  In Japan, I haven't noticed a strong difference between software trends on handhelds and on consoles.  Also, the user base question doesn't really affect how first day sales relate to first week sales that much, I don't think.  If it does, it would mean that the one with the smaller userbase probably sells a greater percentage on the first day (because bigger userbase usually = bigger legs).  Just my opinion, though.

choirsoftheeye said:
takkxyz said:
choirsoftheeye said:

I think they are comparable, though. In Japan, I haven't noticed a strong difference between software trends on handhelds and on consoles. Also, the user base question doesn't really affect how first day sales relate to first week sales that much, I don't think. If it does, it would mean that the one with the smaller userbase probably sells a greater percentage on the first day (because bigger userbase usually = bigger legs). Just my opinion, though.

I agree on most of what you said, except that... well, actually, console sales have never been that spectacular on any of the current gen consoles so far in Japan if you really think about it.

Y-koron why didn't you post this in the news section?

I just wanted you to get the data up as soon as possible.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu