By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - First day sales in Japan (11/1)

Japan continues to disappoint me on the console front. First, they were buying up Wii's like nobody's business, and now none of the current gen consoles are doing that spectacular.

And, I don't care HOW you slice it, 130k for SMG for first day is a HUGE disappointment. People around this forum were going as far as saying 1 million first week. I thought it wouldn't do any less than it's pre-order. But 130k first day ...?

Japanese have lost their minds confirmed.

Around the Network

Hugely disappointing for SMG. Hopefully the game will become a 'staple' of the Wii and end up doing what NSMB has done for the DS (although probably not on that scale).
Just doing steady numbers for a long time. Anyway will be much interested about the prelim data for this week.

mrstickball how big was DS's userbase when NSMB launched? Also, what percentage of the current sales were first day sales? 10%... so if 130k is 10% of SMG's sales around two years from now i would be okay as 3d Mario's are not popular in Japan. Although the comparison between a DS game and a Wii game can't be made.

how accurate is the source for these numbers though?

Around the Network

crap. double post!

Soriku said:
kuraobi said:
Actually there are several things to keep in mind about Mario Galaxy :
- Mario Games have huge legs
- Nintendo Games have a high First Day multiplicator
- Japanese become more and more casual, and the Wii and DS owners are more casual than average, they don't seem to want games absolutely on day one, except for FF and DQ
- Japan is definitely in a slow period, game sales will pick up during the month
- Since Christmas is next month, a lot of children may only buy the game for Christmas.
- The Wii's userbase in Japan is still less than 4M.

Still, 130K for the first day is quite disappointing, but these factors may explain it a bit. We'll have to wait a few weeks to really get an idea of Mario Galaxy's sales.
NSMB did 480k first week, but the user base was serveral times bigger, and the release date was better for big first day sales.

Hmmm... surprisingly FF does the opposite of Mario. It starts out really well, then dies. Not a painful death, pretty successful, but the game (sales) dies pretty quick. But ends up being good, just not thta great. Where on this occasion, Mario starts meh/OK/not that great, but ends surprisingly well.

I dont know, i think that it only ended good on FF 12, FF 10 sold like 10 million, thats HUGE. But your right on everything else, huge opening week (i heard FF 9 had like 30+ percent of its total sales in first 24 hours or something)

On topic: Japan is still dissapointing, at this point NO console is doing well there, the other two markets are extremely larger at the moment. Seems japan is handheld only at the moment

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
--OkeyDokey-- said:

It's the same source that's been used for months now.  So I'd say fairly atleast.

shams said:
Lets not forget the demographics here. First day = Thursday.

AC will sell poorly over the weekend. Galaxy will sell through the roof, as all the kids rush out to buy it.

I'm predicting AC total 55k for the week, and Galaxy around 470k.

While I agree with your point, I think your predictions are still a bit extreme (if these first say sales numbers are correct).

Mario Galaxy (Wii) : about 130k

Ace Combat 6 (360) : about 35k

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

So is the DS harming everything else in Japan, kind of like Halo 3 in the US?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick