By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Saddest ending in a video game? (Spoilers for all games ever)

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future Ending.

I still don't accept it, I will never accept it, Claire is alive and loves Layton, she never died, I will NOT accept her death.

Around the Network

The good ending in Bioshock was very sad and beautifully done. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow had a sad & melancholic ending with a great twist. God of War III's ending was very sad, the part in Kratos' psyche was brilliant, also his last act of defiance/ vengeance when he denies Athena the power to be the one true God by sacrificing himself and when Athena expresses disappointment in him he does a little chuckle and a sinister smile then the camera pans out as he lies in a puddle of his own blood struggling for breath until the screen fades out and you hear his one last breath. Although I didn't like the game, Heavenly Sword had a sad and well made ending. Fable III also had a pretty sad ending, Walter :(. That's it for now with this gen for me.

dwesnyc said:
Rampage for NES. There was no save, I played for HOURS, and the ending was just "Congrats".

Saddest day of my life.

it could have been worse, could have said "game over"

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Persona 3 and crisis core.

The Last Guardian

..wait?

Around the Network

MGS1
MGS3
MGS4
Shadow of the Colossus, killing 16 innocent colossi to revive your girlfriend and then the end...
FF X he was only a dream...
FF6 The whole game was so sad...
Heavy Rain, based on the ending

*SPOILERZ*

**2nd warning, skip if you haven't played Halo:Reach**

***oK you were warned***

Halo: Reach. So sad leading up to it. And there was a part I had to redo a number of times, where one of the guys talks about how sad he was that we lost a girl. I had to hear it over, and over again - I felt like yelling. "Yes, I feel awful about it too, now shut up!"

Then, at the very end. I just sat there, watched the end credits roll, twice. Listening to the music, then I just sat like not moving for 20 minutes or so. There was the ecstatic 'Yea! I finished' with the bittersweet 'its over' and moving loss at what had happened and what I had done.

Great game, felt like a little part of me had been born and died in that game.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

AngelosL said:
The saddest ending in a videogame belongs to Ocarina of Time because you finish the game.It should last forever.

I understand that you were joking, but I was actually going to put this because of the ending. 

That game should be renamed  Link Gets Screwed! 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Animal Crossing... because it ends when you die. Can't get any sadder than that!

Nier Ending B.

The humanity last hope perish by our hands. We're left to know that we were the enemies all along (unintentional enemies). And there's no other ending to the story. Well, besides the ending where we have to kill the "girl" (she's hermaphrodite) to end her suffering, or kill ourselves while eradicating the trace of our existence from the planet just to save that girl. It's a bad ending for each ending.