By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is losing appeal to new customers.

Spankey said:
Squilliam said:

Is the fact that the PS3 comes with Blu Ray a problem? Nope because players come with remotes and people like remotes and these players with free remotes only really cost like $100-150 and they use far less power than the PS3 and are much quieter.

that reminds me of a Pop.Mech. magazine I read recently where they were talking about home cinema setups.

They had a picture of a 360, a blu-ray player and a set-top internet box all next to each other.

no mention of the PS3, and one PS3 would do all that, have less cables and would take up less space (maybe energy too) than the three of those, but I'll admit it gives a single point of failure.

That set top internet boxes browser is probably 2-3* better than the PS3s.

That Xbox 360 is awesome like always.

That Blu Ray player will be quieter, use less power and come with a remote. Also putting it all on one point of failure means that you're increasing the chances of losing your saves etc as they aren't as portable as the Xbox 360s HDD.

@cord: How much longer does it take to wait through 12 system updates + patches? Its probably at least a couple of hours over a year and time = money. For that reason alone Live is worth it.

Tease.

Around the Network

HA! Losing appeal? No. The 360 (despite hardware malfunctions) has done what Microsoft wanted. Beat PS in NA match it in EU and build it's brand in Asia. Xbox is now a sound and viable alternative to PS in all regions. Nintendo is the wild card, Microsoft never counted on Ninty making such a bold move. It cost them this gen. Sony on the other hand.. Well they made mistake after mistake. PS3 has lost more money than PS2 ever made. That is sad, the leader of the last two generation's is now in last place. Say what you want about Nintendo and Microsoft, but Sony got cocky. This gen was Sony's to take. Pressure was to much i guess. They are making up ground now, but the damage is already done.

Does anyone remember Playstation 3's first year? When I imagine most of you as well as most of the gaming press absolutely slated the Playstation 3 because..."it arrived late".

You praised the consistently dying and god awful 360 for coming out in late 2005 why exactly? If anything that showed Microsoft's failure with the original Xbox.

Still,with all that bad press,the Playstation 3 sold 8-10 million in it's first year,under the incredible flack it was taking left right and centre.I would say that it was taking as bad a rep as the 3DO back in the early 90's,if not worse.
Yet it sold that much,because it was a Playstation console.Thus that is power of the Playstation brand.
It's iconic,15 years they've been around consistently selling.Their controllers are iconic,never changing always there for the person who knows those controllers like the back of their hand after playing with one in the last generation.

Xbox FAILS because it's a weaker brand than Playstation.That's it in a nutshell.

For years I've talked,argued and generally debated over games with thousands of people online.The one thing that has been made clear in all of my discussion is that 8/10 of the people I talk to say they wanted a PS3 over the 360 or Wii they had already,but it was just the price putting them off.

As the PS3 continues to get cheaper,you'll find the 360 failing to keep it back,and fall to third place.
Then I will be profoundly happy if Microsoft gets the message,and f*cks off.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

Jedidiah-Rose said:
Does anyone remember Playstation 3's first year? When I imagine most of you as well as most of the gaming press absolutely slated the Playstation 3 because..."it arrived late".

You praised the consistently dying and god awful 360 for coming out in late 2005 why exactly? If anything that showed Microsoft's failure with the original Xbox.

Still,with all that bad press,the Playstation 3 sold 8-10 million in it's first year,under the incredible flack it was taking left right and centre.I would say that it was taking as bad a rep as the 3DO back in the early 90's,if not worse.
Yet it sold that much,because it was a Playstation console.Thus that is power of the Playstation brand.
It's iconic,15 years they've been around consistently selling.Their controllers are iconic,never changing always there for the person who knows those controllers like the back of their hand after playing with one in the last generation.

Xbox FAILS because it's a weaker brand than Playstation.That's it in a nutshell.

For years I've talked,argued and generally debated over games with thousands of people online.The one thing that has been made clear in all of my discussion is that 8/10 of the people I talk to say they wanted a PS3 over the 360 or Wii they had already,but it was just the price putting them off.

As the PS3 continues to get cheaper,you'll find the 360 failing to keep it back,and fall to third place.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 05th Nov 2006 to 03rd Nov 2007:

Console PS3
Total

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Jedidiah-Rose said:

+1

So true.

I'd add one of the problems the 360 had from the start and still has today is if you're not on shooters you have very few reasons to buy a 360 over a PS3.

Its main exclusives are Halo and Gears games which are... shooters. They have great multiplats but PS3 has them too, plus PS3 has great exclusives from every genre (Team ICO games, god of war 3, heavy rain, lbp, mgs 4 are the kind of games you can't find on 360). Lack of valuable exclusive content compared to Sony is what kills the 360 right now.

Around the Network

Next year M$ will cut the price for both Arcade and Elite and the sales will go sky high. Is that so hard to understand ? Sometimes I think people are convicted that when PS3 dropped in price M$ said "we pass", but that's not how the thing works

Cutting the price right now wouldn't change things for MS, it's already a lot cheaper and still sells less than the PS3. Neither will Natal, since similar systems never sold millions either (see Eyetoy sales).

Here in Europe I can get a 360 arcade model for 120 euros or a PS3 for 249 euros. It's twice as expansive.

Guess what ? PS3 already sells a lot more. People don't see much value anymore in the 360...

There's no 'turnaround' to see anymore. PS3 sales will stay ahead, unless MS greatly improves 360 exclusive content...

The playstation brand is strong no doubt. But people arent so bent over brands anymore-as they used to be. In the past Music players were SONY, TV's were SONY. Now those are apple's and samsungs'.

The 360 is losing out for obvious reasons. Lack of value for money. HDTV's are commonplace now- so bluray naturally gets a lift there. Wi-fi is available in practically any mid level cell phone, every laptop/netbook-even desktops.Yet MS refuses to add a feature that wouldnt cost them more than $10-20 to implement.

They shaft us on proprietary HDD's and other ridiculously overpriced memory cards. To me it just seems like MS is turning into the arrogant SONY that was of 2006.

RROD is just the tip of the iceberg. The only way MS can compete with SONY IS:
Lower the elite to $229-249.99, arcade to $129-149.99 OR add the features that SONY provides. Include wifi, improve the damn D-pad and throw in a few months of free LIVE GOLD- and reduce the prices on the damn accesories- that will be a good start.

Another possibility is a slimbox360. They could remodel the 360 so it doesnt look like a toy in comparison to the ps3 and possibly kill that damn powerbrick. The console is 4 yrs old now- and hell it looks it.

Next Year its GT5,FF13 AND GoW3.... its gonna be a massacre and 360 will definitely get butchered if all MS do is offer consumers Faceook and last.fm

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Im a ps3 fan all the way, but i have to admit,the only reason i can see the ps3 is doing better is because of the 1st party games. Sony have alot of 1st party developers compared to microsoft. I think this the reason why. 2010 looks better for sony due to that fact.

Free online gaming would skyrocket it's sales in my opinion.

But then again, this is just the gamer perspective. I don't know which combination is more profitable, either selling ~100k a week + Live subscriptions OR selling ~170k a week and nothing else.

This were random numbers just to give you the idea.