By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is losing appeal to new customers.

To start this thread I first wanna say that I am a PS3, X360 and Wii console owner and love my Xbox 360 more than the rest cause I use it the most and own like 65 games for it.

I wanna share something with u guys here. Recently, theres been a high increase on the PS3's sales and its getting more appealing due to its new games, new price and still free online play. It wasn't always like this tho as i recall there was a time where the PS3 had a non appealing PSN, barely any great exclusives, and was too expensive. Its going from the "I basically use it for blu ray" stage to the gaming platform we expected it to be a few years ago. I myself bought it because of the blu ray and for Uncharted Drakes Fortune, but now I play many games for it and am looking forward to more games coming like GT5 and GOW3. More and more people want it. Now i know its like this mainly due to the price drop and recent games and slimmed down PS3. So I ask myself, Why is Microsoft giving them the open road to do all this?Now that theres no cheaper pro, the Elite and PS3 are both 299. To a new customer, Blu ray playback, built in wifi, browser and free online play would sound more appealing to them than a console of same price same size HDD but no blu ray, need adapter for wifi (if needed), and subscription based online play. Of course, Xbox fans will have to explain that Xbox has a wider library and more critically acclaimed games than PS3 and that free online doesnt mean better online (I agree on both points), but it probably wont convince a new gamer who just wants a great machine.

As the PSN gets better, it remains free. The Xbox adds facebook, twitter, and Last. FM (all good features), but theyre all available on phones and pcs at no extra cost. Why must i pay for this. And also, great exclusives came this year on Sony's console and a few came to Xbox this year, but nothing mindblowing on Xbox as some people would say (I Love Forza 3, so i disagree). Netflix came to PSN, for no additional fee and so will probably Sky TV.

These are things many people around me are saying. I am a gamer and i avoid any bias towards any console. But i must ask. Why isnt Microsoft doing more? Why would they say Netflix is exclusive and then let PS3 grab that. Why are they not staying leagues ahead of PSN with Xbox Live knowing that PSN is free and theyre charging the same price for a machine with more capabilities. I'd say make Xbox Live packed with real exclusive content, but only on Xbox Live type stuff. Not apps that phones and browsers have 4 free. What do yall think. Give me your opinion on this. I would like to see a significant update and price for Xbox 360 to make it worth a buy. Peace

Around the Network

Halo

''Halo reach''.. sell 7.m first week ,Believe¡¡¡¡¡¡

I don't think the 360 ever really lost appeal, the main problem was PS3's price and weak advertising. People were going for the cheaper alternative, which was the 360 (I am one of them).

Now the PS3 got a nice new cheaper slim model and a fantastic advertising campaign. The demand has always been there for the PS3.

I believe the 360 will gain more momentum with its good exclusive line up at the beginning of next year.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Why it's losing appeal. Paying extra $50 for gold membership(other consoles don't have to pay anything like that) HD Player died, the word on RROD is spread and high failure rate than any other console. You have to pay $100 to get wireless internet(its free on other consoles). PS3 already comes with a wireless/wired controller and the D-pad is actually a D-pad instead of a flat joystick(good luck playing classic games).
I don't see a big deal in 360's exclusives, all I can think of is Halo and Gears... Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts?. If you get the Arcade Edition you still have to buy a harddrive. Paying for downloadable content when 98% of the games on PC have it for free.

I still play my 360 A LOT no doubt, but i will never recommend it to someone ever. Unless they're big fans of Halo or something.

It's losing appeal because it charges for online and it has less features than the ps3 but it still is a decent console.

Around the Network

the reason is the price. That's all. Last year, the 360's price drop made the PS3 lose appeal to the 360. This year, it's PS3's turn to make the 360 lose appeal with a price drop.

well imo there is nothing microsoft can do...developers are working for games next year and sony just happened to have the bigger exclusive line up this year...i mean the 360 isnt leaving an open road, they came out with the MW2 bundle and the walmart *100$ off sale* deal in the same week and the ps3 still took xbox to school in sales....imo theres nothing microsoft can do , i even suspect that if they lower the price of the elite/arcade the ps3 will still be a run for its money, especially next year when it becomes profitable. although, thats not to say that the ps3 is going to win the console war, it still has long ways to go, and what goes up, must come down.

PS3 is today What 360 was in 2008/2007 . A Great Deal , right now i think 360 elite needs a 50-80 $$ Drop . then , i would tell you the Xbox360 is one hell of a deal .

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

You guys are giving good points. I agree that the price is the initial factor in why the PS3 is getting more appealing now. I just feel that us Xbox 360 owners should get more bang for the buck. If only Xbox Live can get an exclusive to the console feature to make it worth 50 a year, itll be much better. And i mean real exclusive. Not something i can get somewhere else for free like facebook and twitter, or something timed exclusive like netflix. I felt screwed when Netflix became PS3 compatible because although I do have the PS3 and do have the Netflix disc, it felt like I got flipped off by microsoft. Whats next? Once PSN gets x game chat and invite, its gonna be worth nothing in my opinion. And hell yes I do love me some HAlo and Gears!! Step it up or start charging. I gotta pay for it cause i have 60+ games and 50+ friends on Xbox

radiantshadow92 said:
well imo there is nothing microsoft can do...developers are working for games next year and sony just happened to have the bigger exclusive line up this year...i mean the 360 isnt leaving an open road, they came out with the MW2 bundle and the walmart *100$ off sale* deal in the same week and the ps3 still took xbox to school in sales....imo theres nothing microsoft can do , i even suspect that if they lower the price of the elite/arcade the ps3 will still be a run for its money, especially next year when it becomes profitable. although, thats not to say that the ps3 is going to win the console war, it still has long ways to go, and what goes up, must come down.

1.That was a walmart deal........MS had nothing to do with it

2.We (correct me if im wrong) dont track wal-mart sales.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!