By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is losing appeal to new customers.

well the 360 would have only sold about 14mil to 20mil if it had released the same time as the ps3 and wii but the only good side about being released with the ps3 and wii is that microsoft wouldn't have released the crapy prototype (modern 360) that they did 16 months before the wii and ps3.

Around the Network

There are two reasons why the 360 seems to be losing appeal. The first is because it's saturated the market at its current price point. We saw the same thing happen with the PS3 when it cut it's price in Q4 of 07 and saw much lower figures a year later at the same price. The second reason is because the PS3, which is in direct competition with the 360, has gained significant appeal with it's latest price cut that has stolen momentum from the 360.

gaming_addict24 said:
well the 360 would have only sold about 14mil to 20mil if it had released the same time as the ps3 and wii but the only good side about being released with the ps3 and wii is that microsoft wouldn't have released the crapy prototype (modern 360) that they did 16 months before the wii and ps3.

Yes and the PS3 would have only sold less than like 15M consoles if it had been released like 16 months later!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH im so smart, I use the same logic as you.

Tease.

xbox 360 is my fave console this gen, because it has the biggest and best games library, and games are very cheap as well. I could care less if it loses marketshare, or ends up in third place, but i care about getting the same amount of quality games that come out year after year, without gaming droughts.

No. It's because the PS3 is an entirely new model (slim) and a very good value for $300.00.

It's nothing that the Xbox has done - its sales are still very good for this year, but rather what the Playstation 3 has done.

This will all change with a new hardware re-design which should come with NATAL.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:

Is the fact that the PS3 comes with Blu Ray a problem? Nope because players come with remotes and people like remotes and these players with free remotes only really cost like $100-150 and they use far less power than the PS3 and are much quieter.

that reminds me of a Pop.Mech. magazine I read recently where they were talking about home cinema setups.

They had a picture of a 360, a blu-ray player and a set-top internet box all next to each other.

no mention of the PS3, and one PS3 would do all that, have less cables and would take up less space (maybe energy too) than the three of those, but I'll admit it gives a single point of failure.

@S.T.A.G.E

yeah I'd agree.

MS has probably exceeded their own expectations. all the rest is icing on the cake

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

It has lost some momentum because Microsoft has devoted resources to Natal and also because unlike Sony they were/are unwilling to take losses on hardware this year.

radiantshadow92 said:
nightsurge said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
radiantshadow92 said:
well imo there is nothing microsoft can do...developers are working for games next year and sony just happened to have the bigger exclusive line up this year...i mean the 360 isnt leaving an open road, they came out with the MW2 bundle and the walmart *100$ off sale* deal in the same week and the ps3 still took xbox to school in sales....imo theres nothing microsoft can do , i even suspect that if they lower the price of the elite/arcade the ps3 will still be a run for its money, especially next year when it becomes profitable. although, thats not to say that the ps3 is going to win the console war, it still has long ways to go, and what goes up, must come down.

1.That was a walmart deal........MS had nothing to do with it

2.We (correct me if im wrong) dont track wal-mart sales.

1.it still adds to the point that even if 360 gets some sort of price cut ps3 will still give it a good run for its money (whether it was MS or not)

2.VGC should def. track walmart sales because walmart is the largest distributor in America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart and i am pretty sure that VGC took the walmart sales into account because it was mentioned as a factor in increase in a weekly analysis http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5846

1.  Not really.  It wasn't even a price drop.  It was a $100 GIFT CARD offer at ONE retailer in JUST the US (maybe Canada too?).  You still had to pay $200 to get the console, and the gift card had to be used on a separate purchase in only their store.  I think the fact that just from one retailer, with a few days of this GIFT CARD deal, it having almost rose enough in sales for the week to overtake the PS3 WORLD WIDE shows a very high demand for a potential real price cut.  I don't think the PS3 would stand a chance if the 360 Elite dropped down to $200 which is about what it should be.  Lets not forget that the 360 costs much much less to produce.  If MS wanted to, they could have chopped the price $100 this year along side the PS3 and crushed any momentum Sony could have gotten, but they are saving all their plans for next year with Natal.

2.  Walmart doesn't give figures, but VGChartz DOES estimate Walmart sales and include them in the totals.

1.I respectfully disagree with the red, the rest was just practically facts. I stand behind my point, there are alot of factors when it comes to this...i realize that with a 100$ price cut the 360 would win console sales but.... for only 2-3 weeks tops, then the ps3 would slightly rise above in WW...i know past data doesnt show this, but 299$ is a hell of alot different then 399$.

2.thank you for clearing that up

you are actually VERY wrong.

a price-cut from 399 to 299 = -25%

a price-cut from 299 to 199 = -33%

a 199 xbox 360 elite would be a very big impact.

anyway, microsoft wont drop the prize soon.

when Natal releases it will most likely be packed in a 299 elite package.

Natal also will most likely cost 100 if buyed seperately.

Microsoft aim is to have at least an as long life-span as sony - and droping the prize too quickly would only shorten the 360s life-span.

My prediction for 2010:

1. Microsoft is going to advertise Natal like a console-relaunch

2. Natal will be packed in a 299 elite package

3. Natal will be available seperately for 100

4. Microsoft is going to make a prize-cut in November 2010 - Xbox 360 elite + Natal for 199

Actually, I do think that Live is a problem.

For the majority, PSN has hit the area of "good enough" a while ago, and it's hard justifying $30-50 a year for something you basically get for free on the PS3. For those looking to play online, it's a mandatory added cost, which puts the 360's overall price way over the PS3's. I doubt many people care about the extra features of Live Gold, it's about as appealing as Blu-ray is to PS3 purchasers.

Of course, the PS3 is also the successor to the PS2. It's hard to tell how big a factor this is, but the bigger it is, the worse for Sony, really. In the future (next gen), they will no longer have this crutch.

Anyway, MS absolutely needs a price advantage, to balance the above out. It isn't impossible for MS to swing things back in their favor. A 360 redesign, large price cut, massive advertising with Natal along with a major game or two would do wonders. PS3 has rebranded itself and is pulling away with a ton of momentum, the 360 will need to follow suit.

I wouldn't count them out for putting up a fight in 2010.

Kreshnik said:
radiantshadow92 said:
nightsurge said:
radiantshadow92 said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
radiantshadow92 said:
well imo there is nothing microsoft can do...developers are working for games next year and sony just happened to have the bigger exclusive line up this year...i mean the 360 isnt leaving an open road, they came out with the MW2 bundle and the walmart *100$ off sale* deal in the same week and the ps3 still took xbox to school in sales....imo theres nothing microsoft can do , i even suspect that if they lower the price of the elite/arcade the ps3 will still be a run for its money, especially next year when it becomes profitable. although, thats not to say that the ps3 is going to win the console war, it still has long ways to go, and what goes up, must come down.

1.That was a walmart deal........MS had nothing to do with it

2.We (correct me if im wrong) dont track wal-mart sales.

1.it still adds to the point that even if 360 gets some sort of price cut ps3 will still give it a good run for its money (whether it was MS or not)

2.VGC should def. track walmart sales because walmart is the largest distributor in America http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wal-Mart and i am pretty sure that VGC took the walmart sales into account because it was mentioned as a factor in increase in a weekly analysis http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5846

1.  Not really.  It wasn't even a price drop.  It was a $100 GIFT CARD offer at ONE retailer in JUST the US (maybe Canada too?).  You still had to pay $200 to get the console, and the gift card had to be used on a separate purchase in only their store.  I think the fact that just from one retailer, with a few days of this GIFT CARD deal, it having almost rose enough in sales for the week to overtake the PS3 WORLD WIDE shows a very high demand for a potential real price cut.  I don't think the PS3 would stand a chance if the 360 Elite dropped down to $200 which is about what it should be.  Lets not forget that the 360 costs much much less to produce.  If MS wanted to, they could have chopped the price $100 this year along side the PS3 and crushed any momentum Sony could have gotten, but they are saving all their plans for next year with Natal.

2.  Walmart doesn't give figures, but VGChartz DOES estimate Walmart sales and include them in the totals.

1.I respectfully disagree with the red, the rest was just practically facts. I stand behind my point, there are alot of factors when it comes to this...i realize that with a 100$ price cut the 360 would win console sales but.... for only 2-3 weeks tops, then the ps3 would slightly rise above in WW...i know past data doesnt show this, but 299$ is a hell of alot different then 399$.

2.thank you for clearing that up

you are actually VERY wrong.

a price-cut from 399 to 299 = -25%

a price-cut from 299 to 199 = -33%

a 199 xbox 360 elite would be a very big impact.

anyway, microsoft wont drop the prize soon.

when Natal releases it will most likely be packed in a 299 elite package.

Natal also will most likely cost 100 if buyed seperately.

Microsoft aim is to have at least an as long life-span as sony - and droping the prize too quickly would only shorten the 360s life-span.

My prediction for 2010:

1. Microsoft is going to advertise Natal like a console-relaunch

2. Natal will be packed in a 299 elite package

3. Natal will be available seperately for 100

4. Microsoft is going to make a prize-cut in November 2010 - Xbox 360 elite + Natal for 199

i very much understand your nice math lol....but is a consumers eye the ps3 at 299 is a sweet spot, whether a 360 is 200 or not....back when it was 400 it was different becuase it was still too expensive, but 300 sounds highly reasonable .....and if your number 4 comes true the WII might have to actually watch out lol