By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is losing appeal to new customers.

Attoyou said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The 360 isn't losing it's appeal. Microsoft never expected the 360 make it as far as it has gone. They played their cards right this gen despite RROD, but besides that they are worthy of some sort of applause for keeping the gaming alive until Sony got their act together. Now we can enjoy great games on both systems. Microsoft's job isn't to constantly hold peoples attention, it's job is to survive having less worldwide demand than anything Sony puts out. It has done a great job of staying in peoples hearts and minds good or bad.

I would say it is to some degree.

Especially LIVE. At the start of this gen Sony launched a very incomplete and sub-standard online system. Over time things have vastly improved, up to the point now that we have threads arguing over which system is the superior. LIVE stands as one, if not the key selling point for MS's system, they've said so all along. If gamers are now questioning the value of their key selling point, with the competitor offering a similiar service free of charge, consumers desire and appeal for the system will lessen.

I'm not sure about MS expecting the 360 not to make it this far. Their gameplan with the original Xbox was to quash Sony, and although they failed in that regard, they entered this gen at full sprint, their second chance, launching early and organising plenty of exclusives. I believe it's MS's vision statement to reach the top of this industry.

All of this is based upon your opinion and have nothing to do with the cycle of the 360's life thus far. The 360 has had sustained sales, whilst the PS3 recently experienced a bump. 2010 could spell much higher sales with the release of Halo Reach in December no less so do not jump to conclusions. Secondly there is nothing wrong with Live and unlike Sony Microsoft makes it clear that online gaming is a service and not a right. Thus you get quality when you pay for the year itself.

Microsoft didn't expect the 360 to make it as far as it has gone. I read it in interviews earlier this year. Natal and the fleet of 360 games are the 360's best hope to fight back against the PS3 in 2010. Microsoft has already admitted that they are holding on for the rest of 2009 while Sony enjoys it sales and then they will have theirs in 2010. I believe them. Sony's only massive bump next year will be in Europe and mainly because of Gran Turismo 5.

I love your "conclusion" PS3 gets a bumb then goes back too being DOOMED

Since when did I ever say the PS3 will be doomed after GT5's bump? In other topics I've stated the PS3 will have higher average sales due to demand not completely being satisfied, but it will go down from the monthly numbers you have been seeing since the price drop. Microsoft has been going through this since september last year, so they are no differen't.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
libellule said:
Attoyou said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The 360 isn't losing it's appeal. Microsoft never expected the 360 make it as far as it has gone. They played their cards right this gen despite RROD, but besides that they are worthy of some sort of applause for keeping the gaming alive until Sony got their act together. Now we can enjoy great games on both systems. Microsoft's job isn't to constantly hold peoples attention, it's job is to survive having less worldwide demand than anything Sony puts out. It has done a great job of staying in peoples hearts and minds good or bad.

I would say it is to some degree.

Especially LIVE. At the start of this gen Sony launched a very incomplete and sub-standard online system. Over time things have vastly improved, up to the point now that we have threads arguing over which system is the superior. LIVE stands as one, if not the key selling point for MS's system, they've said so all along. If gamers are now questioning the value of their key selling point, with the competitor offering a similiar service free of charge, consumers desire and appeal for the system will lessen.

I'm not sure about MS expecting the 360 not to make it this far. Their gameplan with the original Xbox was to quash Sony, and although they failed in that regard, they entered this gen at full sprint, their second chance, launching early and organising plenty of exclusives. I believe it's MS's vision statement to reach the top of this industry.

All of this is based upon your opinion and have nothing to do with the cycle of the 360's life thus far. The 360 has had sustained sales, whilst the PS3 recently experienced a bump. 2010 could spell much higher sales with the release of Halo Reach in December no less so do not jump to conclusions. Secondly there is nothing wrong with Live and unlike Sony Microsoft makes it clear that online gaming is a service and not a right. Thus you get quality when you pay for the year itself.

Microsoft didn't expect the 360 to make it as far as it has gone. I read it in interviews earlier this year. Natal and the fleet of 360 games are the 360's best hope to fight back against the PS3 in 2010. Microsoft has already admitted that they are holding on for the rest of 2009 while Sony enjoys it sales and then they will have theirs in 2010. I believe them. Sony's only massive bump next year will be in Europe and mainly because of Gran Turismo 5.

lol, so true ...

it is also funny how 360 has Natal + awesome games + Halo REACH while the PS3 has nothing outside the poor GT5 in Europe ...

Sort of like seeing the 360 has no exclusives whereas the PS3 has *insert the list here* which is the best exclusives eva you usually see everywhere.

If the 360 has no exclusives in 2010, you are completely blind. Second of all, Microsoft played it smart by scheduling most of the big games towards Christmas. Are Mass Effect 2, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction, Mechwarrior, Fable 3, Alan Wake, Ninety Nine Nights 2 and Kingdom Under Fire 2 not exclusives? Wow...you just lost a whole lot of credibility.

vgaddict said:
Well 360 is still selling yeah, but not in Japan anymore, where it's outsold every week 10:1 by the PS3... There it sold only 1 million total vs 4 million PS3.

It could mean future japanese games are not released on 360 anymore.

Who cares about Japan? Their sales and fanfare as as a whole has gone stagnant. TGS shows this every year. They should take Japanese games off the 360 and focus more on the west so more people buy Xboxes over there. The Japanese videogame industry has proven to Microsoft that Japanese market bias coupled with Sonys ability to blackmail Japanese devs into give them free timed exclusives or exclusives without forking out a dime that Microsoft has no future there. They made a milestone with the one million, but it's over.

Who cares about Japan? I care. I care more about Japan than I care about the US actually.

Most great games are japanese after all, from Mario and Zelda to DMC, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Persona... Only to name a few.

I do care a lot about Japan.

vgaddict said:

Who cares about Japan? I care. I care more about Japan than I care about the US actually.

Most great games are japanese after all, from Mario and Zelda to DMC, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 4, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo, Persona... Only to name a few.

No wonder you don't like the 360.  I am also in the group that could care less about MS success in Japan.  European and US gaming tastes are more my style.

Around the Network
vgaddict said:

Welcome to the new times bro. The greatness of last generation is not exactly still the best today. New IP's are taking over and the west is holding the flag. Secondly Miyamoto of Nintendo has admitted that western devs have more creativity today and are making better games.

@stage : yeah, MGS4 is so last gen it's actually considered as the best game this gen.

Bayonetta is so old as an action game it actually just revolutionized the genre.

FF13 should be the best RPG this gen according to the first reviews.

And go tell Nintendo fans the last Mario or Zelda is "last gen".

So yeah, what you say really makes sense.   /sarcasm

Wake me up when someone in the US makes a game better than Team Ico or Kojima's games.

vgaddict said:

@stage : yeah, MGS4 is so last gen it's actually considered as the best game this gen.

Bayonetta is so old as an action game it actually just revolutionized the genre.

FF13 should be the best RPG this gen according to the first reviews.

And go tell Nintendo fans the last Mario or Zelda is "last gen".

So yeah, what you say really makes sense.   /sarcasm

The opinion of a person that only values one brand matters not. MGS4 is not the best game this gen. It was hardly a game at all. Let me give you the concept of MGS4. It was a great movie. Gameplay wise it couldn't hold a candle to any of the other MGS games including the first.

MGS4 progression: Walk--> Movie---> Walk--> Movie-- Walk + Boss---> Really long movie+ Briefing movie--> 5 minute load-->  Walk --> Movie--> Walk--> Movie--> Walk + Boss--> Really long movie+ briefing movie--5 minute load--> etc, etc.

FFXIII cannot hold a candle to Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 2 will be GOTY 2010.....watch and see. I'll make a bet with you right now.

Oh ? So your opinion doesn't matter since you seem to value only MS.

Most people disagree with you on MGS4, and so does metacritic and many other websites which gave this game 'Game of the year' awards (feel free to check).

Sure, it's not a mindless shooter with space marines if that's what you mean. You've still got Halo for that. Let the real gamers prefer other games though.

For FF13 vs Mass Effect let's wait and see.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Lord Flashheart said:
libellule said:
Attoyou said:

lol, so true ...

it is also funny how 360 has Natal + awesome games + Halo REACH while the PS3 has nothing outside the poor GT5 in Europe ...

Sort of like seeing the 360 has no exclusives whereas the PS3 has *insert the list here* which is the best exclusives eva you usually see everywhere.

If the 360 has no exclusives in 2010, you are completely blind. Second of all, Microsoft played it smart by scheduling most of the big games towards Christmas. Are Mass Effect 2, Halo Reach, Splinter Cell Conviction, Mechwarrior, Fable 3, Alan Wake, Ninety Nine Nights 2 and Kingdom Under Fire 2 not exclusives? Wow...you just lost a whole lot of credibility.

Actually you lose credibility?!?

I wasn't saying the 360 has no exclusives I was sort of continuing libell's comment, or haven't you seen most 360 threads get derailed by *the list*.It was a sarky dig at those tro.. erm posters.

Let me put my comment this way

"Sort of like seeing the "360 has no exclusives whereas the PS3 has *insert the list here* which is the best exclusives eva" comments you usually see everywhere."

I should have put the word comment in at least but it was a quick post before I went out so didn't realise due to being in a rush.

Have I reclaimed some of my credibility back in your eyes? Imo the 360 exclusives for next year are better than the PS3's. If they weren't I'd have a PS3.

Oh and Japan has saved the PS3. They'd be over 10mil behind without it but it doesn't bother me that the 360 doesn't sell well there. It does mean the Japs lose credibility as gamers in my eyes if the reason they wont buy the 360 because it's western.
I'm sure VGaddict will reply but he has no credibility in my eyes and his comments are unintentionally funny instead of needed. /jk