By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Xbox 360 is losing appeal to new customers.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The 360 isn't losing it's appeal. Microsoft never expected the 360 make it as far as it has gone. They played their cards right this gen despite RROD, but besides that they are worthy of some sort of applause for keeping the gaming alive until Sony got their act together. Now we can enjoy great games on both systems. Microsoft's job isn't to constantly hold peoples attention, it's job is to survive having less worldwide demand than anything Sony puts out. It has done a great job of staying in peoples hearts and minds good or bad.

I would say it is to some degree.

Especially LIVE. At the start of this gen Sony launched a very incomplete and sub-standard online system. Over time things have vastly improved, up to the point now that we have threads arguing over which system is the superior. LIVE stands as one, if not the key selling point for MS's system, they've said so all along. If gamers are now questioning the value of their key selling point, with the competitor offering a similiar service free of charge, consumers desire and appeal for the system will lessen.

I'm not sure about MS expecting the 360 not to make it this far. Their gameplan with the original Xbox was to quash Sony, and although they failed in that regard, they entered this gen at full sprint, their second chance, launching early and organising plenty of exclusives. I believe it's MS's vision statement to reach the top of this industry.

All of this is based upon your opinion and have nothing to do with the cycle of the 360's life thus far. The 360 has had sustained sales, whilst the PS3 recently experienced a bump. 2010 could spell much higher sales with the release of Halo Reach in December no less so do not jump to conclusions. Secondly there is nothing wrong with Live and unlike Sony Microsoft makes it clear that online gaming is a service and not a right. Thus you get quality when you pay for the year itself.

Microsoft didn't expect the 360 to make it as far as it has gone. I read it in interviews earlier this year. Natal and the fleet of 360 games are the 360's best hope to fight back against the PS3 in 2010. Microsoft has already admitted that they are holding on for the rest of 2009 while Sony enjoys it sales and then they will have theirs in 2010. I believe them. Sony's only massive bump next year will be in Europe and mainly because of Gran Turismo 5.

I love your "conclusion" PS3 gets a bumb then goes back too being DOOMED

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network
Attoyou said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
The 360 isn't losing it's appeal. Microsoft never expected the 360 make it as far as it has gone. They played their cards right this gen despite RROD, but besides that they are worthy of some sort of applause for keeping the gaming alive until Sony got their act together. Now we can enjoy great games on both systems. Microsoft's job isn't to constantly hold peoples attention, it's job is to survive having less worldwide demand than anything Sony puts out. It has done a great job of staying in peoples hearts and minds good or bad.

Especially LIVE. At the start of this gen Sony launched a very incomplete and sub-standard online system. Over time things have vastly improved, up to the point now that we have threads arguing over which system is the superior. LIVE stands as one, if not the key selling point for MS's system, they've said so all along. If gamers are now questioning the value of their key selling point, with the competitor offering a similiar service free of charge, consumers desire and appeal for the system will lessen.

I'm not sure about MS expecting the 360 not to make it this far. Their gameplan with the original Xbox was to quash Sony, and although they failed in that regard, they entered this gen at full sprint, their second chance, launching early and organising plenty of exclusives. I believe it's MS's vision statement to reach the top of this industry.

All of this is based upon your opinion and have nothing to do with the cycle of the 360's life thus far. The 360 has had sustained sales, whilst the PS3 recently experienced a bump. 2010 could spell much higher sales with the release of Halo Reach in December no less so do not jump to conclusions. Secondly there is nothing wrong with Live and unlike Sony Microsoft makes it clear that online gaming is a service and not a right. Thus you get quality when you pay for the year itself.

Microsoft didn't expect the 360 to make it as far as it has gone. I read it in interviews earlier this year. Natal and the fleet of 360 games are the 360's best hope to fight back against the PS3 in 2010. Microsoft has already admitted that they are holding on for the rest of 2009 while Sony enjoys it sales and then they will have theirs in 2010. I believe them. Sony's only massive bump next year will be in Europe and mainly because of Gran Turismo 5.

lol, so true ...

it is also funny how 360 has Natal + awesome games + Halo REACH while the PS3 has nothing outside the poor GT5 in Europe ...

Time to Work !

loves2splooge said:
shio said:
loves2splooge said:

Shio, how much did you spend on PC gaming hardware since 2005 (and you seem like a core PC gamer so I assume that you keep your rig up to date to play the latest stuff right on solid settings right?) If you don't mind answering. This will offer a good cost comparison with the Xbox 360. PC gamers always talk about how gaming rigs are cheap to build but rarely talk about the long-term costs of PC gaming (which is very important to consider because rigs have to be kept up to date and outright replaced after a certain while whereas in this gen, 360 and PS3 will have 6-7 years lifespan at least). And when I mean hardware, I'm talking about the rig(s), upgrades, gaming keyboards and mouse (if you use those instead of the standard stuff), etc.

I think we should leave monitors and HDTVs out of the equation because those have multiple uses outside of gaming. (And you can use the HDTV with PC gaming and the monitor for console gaming. I myself have been considering purchasing a 21-24" 1080p or more monitor because they are cheaper than similarly sized HDTVs and offer better resolution). You could argue that a desktop has use outside of gaming as well (of course though you don't need a gaming rig for everyday computer use. I could even keep my old P4 desktop for that until it eventually craps out. lol) but as someone who is a laptop user (and all my needs are met by the laptop sans playing the more demanding PC games), sell me on building a new desktop (which will only be used for gaming).

I bought a PC in early 2006 (just before the domination of Core Duos), without the monitor it pegged me at $850. Plus a new GPU last year for $150. A total of $1000.

In the last 12 months I bought over 40 PC games, for around $200 maybe.

How about you?

40 PC games for around $200? Are you including free and loads of indie games? GoG games and other old-school games you can get on Steam for cheap? Because that figure is insanely low. Every now and then you'll see a killer deal with a modern 'core' game like Direct 2 Drive's Mirror's Edge for $4.95 but a deal that good is rare.

For 360 software alone, in the last year I spent about $500+ (holy shit, I know. lol). That includes 18 retail games (mostly bargain binned), 11 XBLA games (some of which were free). I really need to lay off the impulse sale buys. For real. lol.

I'm including all games I bought, indie, modern, old, etc... and I didn't even buy Mass Effect, L4D, Mirror's Edge and other recent games that were on Steam for $5 each.

libellule said:
Attoyou said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

lol, so true ...

it is also funny how 360 has Natal + awesome games + Halo REACH while the PS3 has nothing outside the poor GT5 in Europe ...

Sort of like seeing the 360 has no exclusives whereas the PS3 has *insert the list here* which is the best exclusives eva you usually see everywhere.

XBOX360 is selling STRONG, SONY dropped their pants and created a GOOD value pack, you get good stuff for your money, so they started to sell strong too. But this move has a COST to SONY, they STILL are loosing money.

Don't turn things around, PS3 is the one that started to have appeal to new costumers and not the other way around.

Just check the year to year sales, XBOX360 is selling good as always although it's OLDER.

Ah, and don't talk about RROD, my XBOX360 died (after many hours of play) and they give me a new one. My PS3 died yesterday, I only have 4 games (+1 download), I've played Uncharted in 2007, MGS4 in 2008, Kilzone 2 and Uncharted 2 in 2009 and now she's DEAD (error 80010415).

And do you want to know the best part? They want 180 euros for the repair. So don't give me that crap about RROD, they all (including the Wii) are MADE IN CHINA (not to offend anyone) to LOWER COSTS, and you know what that means.

It seems some people have a problem talking about consoles death, I DON'T, I own both and they both DIE.

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
libellule said:
Attoyou said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dallinor said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

lol, so true ...

Sort of like seeing the 360 has no exclusives whereas the PS3 has *insert the list here* which is the best exclusives eva you usually see everywhere.

it is not because there are assholes all around that you have to behave like them ...

Time to Work !

Black RL said:

XBOX360 is selling STRONG, SONY dropped their pants and created a GOOD value pack, you get good stuff for your money, so they started to sell strong too. But this move has a COST to SONY, they STILL are loosing money.

Don't turn things around, PS3 is the one that started to have appeal to new costumers and not the other way around.

Just check the year to year sales, XBOX360 is selling good as always although it's OLDER.

and didnt get a timed price drop on the arcade sku in November ?

OUPS, it was a secret

Time to Work !

The drop isn't enough, and like I said, it's still selling, so I don't see your point. If it's selling what's the problem?

The problem was in SONY side, they were the ones that weren't selling, they now are, good for them and good for the industry.

Black RL said:
The drop isn't enough, and like I said, it's still selling, so I don't see your point. If it's selling what's the problem?

The problem was in SONY side, they were the ones that weren't selling, they now are, good for them and good for the industry.

Nice post.  I agree.

Well 360 is still selling yeah, but not in Japan anymore, where it's outsold every week 10:1 by the PS3... There it sold only 1 million total vs 4 million PS3.

It could mean future japanese games are not released on 360 anymore.