By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who owns a Mac and why?

Garcian Smith said:
I bought a white Intel Macbook a few months ago for grad school to take notes on, mostly because I didn't want to buy a PC with Vista. I'm loving the thing so far, so much so that I find it hard to go back to my old XP box and deal with all the crap that Windows constantly puts me through.

My only real complaint is that, for all of the fancy software they include with OSX, they could at least bundle a decent word processor.

It does come with AppleWorks which I know is not that great, but it works.  iWork is only $79 and it is a killer app.  Now that they have added numbers to it, it kicks office's butt.  Plus you can save anything to open correctly in office, and it will open any office file as well.  You could never get Office for that price brand new.  

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network

I don't own one, but i (have to) work with them every week on college when i'm holding graphics design classes. But for graphics work @ my company and for home use i prefer PC's, as i can adjust Windows to better suit my needs. XP is stable enough, and if setup and maintained properly can function for a loong time without problems. Besides, PC's are cheaper.

I like some things on Macs, but all the time i feel like i'm being treated like some idiot - i have the feeling like OSX is trying to simplify all the things without my will... and i like to always have access to some more advanced options. Or maybe i just don't have the will to scratch deeper into OS

I'm sure that Mac appeals to many ppl... it's just ain't my cup of tea...

And yeah... i just HATE the one-button mouse. Especially the mighty mouse one(okay, that one technically has two buttons, but..) because the frikken tiny ball is soooo damn opposite of ergonomic... but i like my logitech 9 button mouse because i can get better functionality and speed the work a bit :)

Right now, I have roughly 13 iMacs around my house. I bought a lot of them (18) and refurbed and resold a few of them and gave one away. Speaking of ... I need to list some on craigslist. I also have a PowerPC 233 old skool Mac too.

I have a Macbook Pro (first gen :-/). I got it because my Linuxbox died (technically just the graphics card, but I didn't have time to troubleshoot it right away because it died the weekend before I had three (3) term papers due, and I needed a computer right away).

Since I didn't want a second desktop (my first is up and running again now), I was forced into a laptop, and the only laptops I could get on short notice of decent quality were Macs.

Coming from a *nix background made it really easy to switch. I still use Terminal.app for pretty much everything

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

@joora terminal is for digging deep into a OSX to change it, i like my dock just as floting icons nothing else, and why not use a two button mouse, i too loath the might mouse, I prefer logitech mice.

@madskillz do you have and B&W g3s ive been looking to buy an old one 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

Around the Network

Ironic that people are so gleeful about teh lack of Mac viruses, the first virus for Mac OS X to be found in the wild was discovered today. Though it still requires you to enter an admin password to do its dirty work.

I've been a Machead since my old man brought home an SE. I simply grew up with them. And being a bit of a non-conformist, was a loyal zealot while the Mac declined in the 90s.

My zealotry has tempered, but I'm still a Mac user. One of these days I'll get around to saving up for an Intel Mac and load it with all three main platforms. ;)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

And lets not forget the most important part. Safari 3.0 users now can make VGchartz widgets for their Dashboard!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Any of yous make a lot of money off Apple stock?

OS X is nice (I use some G5's between classes at school when I have extra time), and as a primary (but non-gaming) OS it is most definitely better than windows. I like the fact that it's unix based; that aspect of the environment is semi-familiar to me. In my opinion though the mac hardware is very overpriced. It may look nice on the outside, but I'm not going to pay that much for it.
Windows has its uses (games...), but most of the time I'm a \/ (signature..)

I have a mac and it is fantastic. I own one, because it's awesome and looks sweet too. The media tools on it are great and plus i can lay in my bed and not get up to watch a show or flip on some music. Funny thing is when I saw the remote I was like ahh I'll never use this. Took some time to learn the OS, but it was worth it. Apple seems alot more interested in helping their consumers with using their products than it's competitors.