By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who owns a Mac and why?

I have been a Mac guy for around 14 years.  I love my Mac, currently using an iMac intel at home and work.  I love Mac cause they not only are head and shoulders above anything in the design dept., but they function so much smoother than any PC on the market.  In my 14 years of Mac use, I have never gotten a virus (never used virus software), never had one freeze up, never had one crash, and have always gotten a return on them after upgrading.  This is not a bash PC topic, it is just to see who is using Mac and why.  I just love my Mac and want to know if I am all alone here.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network

I have a MacBook Pro 2.33 C2Duo, absolutely love it, especially now that I installed Leopard. My first mac was back in freshman year of high school, back then the Dual G4 800 was the top of the line when I got it, lasted 7 years, turned on, 24/7 (dead serious, I never turn it off, only restarted it, and rarely did that). Then the HD took a crap, but the rest of the comp is still fine. I still have a PC for gaming purposes, and intend on building a new one since the new games coming out have crazy high end requirements for them to look their best. Nothing works like a Mac does. They are works of art, are way more productive than windows, so much easier to use, everything just runs nicer, looks nicer, and never f's up, ever. I would never use a PC for my school work or anything else. If it weren't for games, I wouldn't own a PC at all.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Oh yeah, I also have never gotten a virus or a crash or anything of the sort.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

While I don't think this will go well...

I grew up on old macs, but switched to Windows when I went away to school. And it wasn't a great 5 years. Oh sure I learned how to use it and could navigate around quite easily, but I was never a big fan of how the whole thing went together.

then, just a few months ago I got a macbook. Despite Norton Antivirus and several defragmentations (that's what it's called right?) my Windows desktop was a broken mess. It would take 15 minutes to boot up. So obviously, I was going to be happy going from a broken desktop to a brand new laptop. But the new Operating System is my favourite part.

At first it was intimidating. OS X was so different from the old macs I used that it was a completely different system. But I picked it up really fast. I absolutely love Dashboard and Widgets, I love little things like photobooth, Safari is a great web browser, lots of stuff. I've already convinced a friend to get a macbook just by showing him how mine works.

Right now I have 3 complaints.

1. Not coming with Microsoft Office OR Mac Pages. All computers should come with a proper word processor installed.
2. MSN for macs is a gimped version. I have a terrific webcam and great media features, but I can't MSN videochat (skype works great though)
3. iphoto isn't so great. I don't like how it organizes my pictures.

But yes. I really am pleased with my mac and how it works.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I have a Powerbook, a couple of years old now but still runs great.

I got it simply because Final Cut Pro is a Mac only product so I had little choice. The first time I really used a Mac, an Imac I was learning FCP on that wasn't mine, I wasn't very impressed. I was used to Windows and didn't really know much about computers anyway. But after a while I really liked the way it worked and now find it a bit frustrating using anything else.

I'll continue using them, this is the only computer I've known that hasn't messed up at all which is a big bonus, although I may get one with both OSX and Windows on.

I don't do gaming on PC's so the fact Macs aren't well supported doesn't bother me.

Around the Network

I own two..

for design and video work, they are the best, my 4 year old powermac still runs with the best of them (6 gig ram 64bit) final cut pro is so much better than premier though premier is catching up, avid costs too much...

adobe products seem more stable on macs, and altivec made everthing faster.. sigh to bad powerpc is gone

(where is native 64bit version of photoshop)

yea there used to be a word processor appleworks but its been long left for dead, it would be nice if iwork came with the mac like ilife

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

They sell it at best buy for nearly 2,000 dollars. Id rather buy a windows vista laptop for half the price with 2 gigs of ram and a 200gb HDD.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I've owned countless Macs and right now, I run an Intel iMac and Macbook. I'm in the graphic design biz so Macs were an obvious choice. Now that they boot Windows, I love them even more.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I bought a white Intel Macbook a few months ago for grad school to take notes on, mostly because I didn't want to buy a PC with Vista. I'm loving the thing so far, so much so that I find it hard to go back to my old XP box and deal with all the crap that Windows constantly puts me through.

My only real complaint is that, for all of the fancy software they include with OSX, they could at least bundle a decent word processor.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I switched when Apple bought Emagic's Logic Audio.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii)