By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who owns a Mac and why?

I have an iBook G4 which i use all the time, 2 years old and its great. Also have a Powerbook G3, PowerPC(no internet connection thats how old it is), 2 Mac Classics that my Dad is trying to get working, another PowerPC that runs MacOS6.5 and my Dad has 2 G4 Powerbooks, 1 MacbookPro, 1 Powerbook G3, 1 MacPro(1TB+ and 5GB's of RAM(not too sure though)), 1 iMac and about 6 iPods.

I use Macs because i was brought up on Macs i can take them apart and put them back together with ease, none of the computers above have ever had a virus and none of them have virus software on them. I still get used out of the one from the 80's because it has all the classic MacMAME games which are amazing (anyone for BurgerTime? or ElevatorAction?). They are really easy to use and not to sound like a fanboy but a Windows PC or and Microsoft Windows OS has ever entered my house.

I also dont get the price thing over here in the UK where you can get a very good iMac 24" for £1399 ($2798) or a MacBook for £799 ($1598).

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network

I have a Macbook Pro. I switched for a few reasons:

- Not to get so used to Windows as to have difficulties switching later. I felt I had been using only windows for too many years.
- Vista didn't look very appealing, even though I have it now in a desktop at home and it is not that bad.
- I wanted to force the IT guys at my company to have web-based, platform independent applications to run the business. If thought that if we all had PCs that would not happen since at some point if you don't have to it is easier to go platform specific.

So far I'm happy but not ecstatic. OSX is clearly nicer than windows, but no quantum leap. And it is annoying that Macs stick to not offering common sense improvements for the sake of being different. The single button in mice and not being able to maximize windows being the most obvious.